Half-Assed GDT: STL @ DAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Keep playing Lindy and maybe we can trade him for something once Husso is back. I heard Lindy isn’t eligible to send down without clearing waivers.
He won't have to clear waivers unless he is on the NHL roster for 30 days or plays 10 games. I don't know whether dressing as a backup counts toward that 10 game requirement, but it doesn't for most game requirements in the CBA.

Reactions: Mike Liut

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
This was an incredibly enjoyable game to watch. Hard fought, back and forth, straight line hockey. Mistakes were magnified and saves were clutch for both sides. I'm glad we found a way to win. Couple more thoughts:

1. This was hands down the best game I've seen Parayko play in years. He was everywhere on the ice - stopping entries before they started, halting the cycle before it got dangerous, passing the puck up with crispness and good decision making, carrying the puck up himself, and activating/shooting in the offensive zone. This game Parayko could win a Norris if he can keep it up consistently. The guy we've been seeing for most of the year as well as most of last year and the year before.....not so much. Really hope he carries this type of effort and play forward.

1b. Mikkola has really come on these last few weeks. His passing has improved significantly and it was a treat to watch him activate in the offensive zone a lot last night. He made smart plays. I hope he keeps building on that.

2. The goaltending we've had from everyone not named Binnington has been exceptional. I mean truly exceptional. That's really not a knock on Binner, b/c I think in a lot of ways we've tightened up a lot since a bunch of our skill guys went on the shelf, but still, every team gets chances and our guys have made a lot of really clutch stops. Incredible job by everyone from our talent scouts to our development coaches to our more main/head coaches.

3. Glad to see our big guns carry the scoring load tonight. The Springfield lads can play tight D and chip in when they can, but our big guys really need to produce for us to continue to have success. That happened this game and it was good to see.

4. Armstrong and Beruebe have done a really nice job so far this year. These types of hard luck situations can spiral really quickly and they've kept their finger on the pulse and put people in a position to succeed. It's been fun to watch the team come together. The Buch trade looked pretty good at the time......now, holy crap it's robbery.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This was an incredibly enjoyable game to watch. Hard fought, back and forth, straight line hockey. Mistakes were magnified and saves were clutch for both sides. I'm glad we found a way to win. Couple more thoughts:

1. This was hands down the best game I've seen Parayko play in years. He was everywhere on the ice - stopping entries before they started, halting the cycle before it got dangerous, passing the puck up with crispness and good decision making, carrying the puck up himself, and activating/shooting in the offensive zone. This game Parayko could win a Norris if he can keep it up consistently. The guy we've been seeing for most of the year as well as most of last year and the year before.....not so much. Really hope he carries this type of effort and play forward.

1b. Mikkola has really come on these last few weeks. His passing has improved significantly and it was a treat to watch him activate in the offensive zone a lot last night. He made smart plays. I hope he keeps building on that.

2. The goaltending we've had from everyone not named Binnington has been exceptional. I mean truly exceptional. That's really not a knock on Binner, b/c I think in a lot of ways we've tightened up a lot since a bunch of our skill guys went on the shelf, but still, every team gets chances and our guys have made a lot of really clutch stops. Incredible job by everyone from our talent scouts to our development coaches to our more main/head coaches.

3. Glad to see our big guns carry the scoring load tonight. The Springfield lads can play tight D and chip in when they can, but our big guys really need to produce for us to continue to have success. That happened this game and it was good to see.

4. Armstrong and Beruebe have done a really nice job so far this year. These types of hard luck situations can spiral really quickly and they've kept their finger on the pulse and put people in a position to succeed. It's been fun to watch the team come together. The Buch trade looked pretty good at the time......now, holy crap it's robbery.

That's all very encouraging, but the fact that he's much calmer and more confident (not nervous) while carrying and otherwise handling the puck, and is also initiating contact to make plays, going to the tough areas, joining the rush, and pinches deep into The O-Zone without fear of getting caught are the most impressive changes, to me. He's looked like a different player since his return to the lineup. I hope it is permanent.

Reactions: stl76

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

no no... I read on here that Army is a turrible GM and Berube was going to be fired

ya silly

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I just don't think trading Peru would be the best Option. If we trade him and Krug goes down we don't have anyone who can run a PP. Maybe Faulk, but that didn't go well while Krug was out with Covid. Walman just isn't creative enough to run it either.

We can't keep someone of Perunovich's caliber as a 7th defensemen "just in case" Krug gets injured. Plenty of teams will want a player like Perunovich at a good price, and we can exchange his value for what theyre willing to pay rather than just sitting him in the pressbox.

And Justin Faulk can run a powerplay pretty well.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
We can't keep someone of Perunovich's caliber as a 7th defensemen "just in case" Krug gets injured. Plenty of teams will want a player like Perunovich at a good price, and we can exchange his value for what theyre willing to pay rather than just sitting him in the pressbox.

And Justin Faulk can run a powerplay pretty well.
If we're going to sell Perunovich might as well sell Kostin, Bolduc, Neighbors, and every other young player in the system as well.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
If we're going to sell Perunovich might as well sell Kostin, Bolduc, Neighbors, and every other young player in the system as well.

What? Why?

The whole idea of trading Perunovich is that we have already committed to Krug, and that keeping a player of Perunovich's caliber as a 7th defensemen makes no sense. You can trade him for a roster player. It's asset management. I'm not suggesting that we sell all of our young players.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
What? Why?

The whole idea of trading Perunovich is that we have already committed to Krug, and that keeping a player of Perunovich's caliber as a 7th defensemen makes no sense. You can trade him for a roster player. It's asset management. I'm not suggesting that we sell all of our young players.
Sorry that was a little bit too exaggerated.

Perunovich doesn't hold the value that would make it worth trading him. If we're adding him to a trade to upgrade, say Chychrun, then ok. But, at the current day he'd get us, what a late first? If he even gets us that. Plus management freaking loves him, I don't see any signs that would even suggest they want to trade him. Berube's comments after the Anaheim game should prove that management and the coaching staff have zero plans to remove him from the franchise anytime soon.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Sorry that was a little bit too exaggerated.

Perunovich doesn't hold the value that would make it worth trading him. If we're adding him to a trade to upgrade, say Chychrun, then ok. But, at the current day he'd get us, what a late first? If he even gets us that. Plus management freaking loves him, I don't see any signs that would even suggest they want to trade him. Berube's comments after the Anaheim game should prove that management and the coaching staff have zero plans to remove him from the franchise anytime soon.

Then management has to make a decision. They can't decide that he's too good for the AHL but not good enough for the top 6. With Mikkola's emergence and Krug already taking up the same niche as Perunovich, that leaves him as our 7th defenseman and that's not good asset management. Trading him includes adding him to a package, but leaving him in the pressbox only to practice with the team is pointless. He and his agent will eventually want out seeing how everyone knows he can become a good regular in the NHL.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Then management has to make a decision. They can't decide that he's too good for the AHL but not good enough for the top 6. With Mikkola's emergence and Krug already taking up the same niche as Perunovich, that leaves him as our 7th defenseman and that's not good asset management. Trading him includes adding him to a package, but leaving him in the pressbox only to practice with the team is pointless and won't last long with him and his agent anyways when he knows he's good enough to become a good regular in the NHL.
The Blues haven't even stated he was the #7 defenseman going forward tho? Where are you getting that he's the current #7 on the team?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The Blues haven't even stated he was the #7 defenseman going forward tho? Where are you getting that he's the current #7 on the team?

Maybe I'm looking ahead a bit, but Berube sitting him was more than just about what happened in overtime against Anaheim. Having to shelter both him and Krug at times just hasn't been working. And our D core looked better last night against Dallas than it has all season with...

Krug-Faulk
Mikkola-Parayko
Scandella Bortuzzo

Come playoff time, I don't think Perunovich is going to play on the 3rd D pairing over defensive veterans Scandella and Bortuzzo.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Maybe I'm looking ahead a bit, but Berube sitting him was more than just about what happened in overtime against Anaheim. Having to shelter both him and Krug at times just hasn't been working. And our D core looked better last night against Dallas than it has all season with...

Krug-Faulk
Mikkola-Parayko
Scandella Bortuzzo

Come playoff time, I don't think Perunovich is going to play on the 3rd D pairing over defensive veterans Scandella and Bortuzzo.
I mean Berube had been playing him as a 3rd pairing defenseman and in the second pp, I don't recall him ever being sat out once, and of course other more defensive players are going to play defensive minutes over him

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I mean Berube had been playing him as a 3rd pairing defenseman and in the second pp, I don't recall him ever being sat out once, and of course other more defensive players are going to play defensive minutes over him

We'll see. I do expect to see Perunovich to play again this season, but I do think our D core that played against Dallas is the best top 6 we have right now, and that's what I would expect Berube to start with if the playoffs started tomorrow.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
We'll see. I do expect to see Perunovich play again this season, but I do think our D core that played against Dallas is the best top 6 we have right now, and that's what I would expect Berube to start with if the playoffs started tomorrow.
Of course he's going to play again this season, he was only out yesterday because he was sick.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Of course he's going to play again this season, he was only out yesterday because he was sick.

I must not have caught that update. For some reason, I thought he was a healthy scratch...:laugh:

Either way, I think what we saw last night was best for this team moving forward. :thumbu:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Then management has to make a decision. They can't decide that he's too good for the AHL but not good enough for the top 6. With Mikkola's emergence and Krug already taking up the same niche as Perunovich, that leaves him as our 7th defenseman and that's not good asset management. Trading him includes adding him to a package, but leaving him in the pressbox only to practice with the team is pointless. He and his agent will eventually want out seeing how everyone knows he can become a good regular in the NHL.
Peru and Krug can and should both be regulars in this lineup. I'm not saying Peru is untouchable in trade for someone liky Chyrcrun, but when he is healthy he is absolutely one of our top 6 and should be back in the lineup.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Perhaps “clearly kicked it” are poor choices of words, but clear kicking motion may be more appropriate.
It was a little unusual, but I thought the 'kicking motion' came after the puck was long gone. All he did was angle his skate. In other words, he DID make a kicking motion, but that's not what propelled the puck into the net. It should have been an allowed goal as long as it wasn't offside. Ultimately the right calls were made after each review.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Krug-Faulk
Mikkola-Parayko
Scandella Bortuzzo

I don't get it. What's different about Perunovich being a bottom pairing guy, or a guy that sits occasionally this year...than something like Schwartz playing on the 4th line in his first season with the Blues?

Of all Berube's decisions, I don't see any reason to read into Perunovich sitting after costing the OT last game. That is a very Berube move, and I think its pretty defensible. Perunovich will get plenty of opportunity this year and plenty of opportunity to further his development. I don't see any reason to worry where he slots in for the post-season, today, since odds are high that someone will be injured by then.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I don't get it. What's different about Perunovich being a bottom pairing guy, or a guy that sits occasionally this year...than something like Schwartz playing on the 4th line in his first season with the Blues?

Of all Berube's decisions, I don't see any reason to read into Perunovich sitting after costing the OT last game. That is a very Berube move, and I think its pretty defensible. Perunovich will get plenty of opportunity this year and plenty of opportunity to further his development. I don't see any reason to worry where he slots in for the post-season, today, since odds are high that someone will be injured by then.

We were just speaking about the team moving forward. Perunovich is not a defensive defenseman. At this level, he is a one dimensional offensive defenseman, and it's probably okay to have one of those on a team like this but not two. We have already committed to Krug, and even guys like Scandella and Bortuzzo provide much more stability on the backend than Perunovich does. I think Scott is a good player, and I was really impressed with him when I saw him live, but we cannot shelter both him and Krug and expect to be a real contender.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
It was a little unusual, but I thought the 'kicking motion' came after the puck was long gone. All he did was angle his skate. In other words, he DID make a kicking motion, but that's not what propelled the puck into the net. It should have been an allowed goal as long as it wasn't offside. Ultimately the right calls were made after each review.
I can totally see it that way. Why not? ...

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We were just speaking about the team moving forward. Perunovich is not a defensive defenseman. At this level, he is a one dimensional offensive defenseman, and it's probably okay to have one of those on a team like this but not two. We have already committed to Krug, and even guys like Scandella and Bortuzzo provide much more stability on the backend than Perunovich does. I think Scott is a good player, and I was really impressed with him when I saw him live, but we cannot shelter both him and Krug and expect to be a real contender.

Both are undersized Dmen. Krug IMO does his best work when he's on the offensive. My bone to pick with Krug has been (again IMO) that he's not really a Dman, but a forward. He has moments when he plays really slick D but more often than not he allows chances on botched plays and that's the cost you pay for a guy that's really good at putting up points. If he was a bigger guy who used their size he'd be absolutely frightening.

Peru I refuse to speak on because he's new and he's working on his game. I love what I see out of him so far and I'm hoping that he might actually bulk up abit too.

Saying all of that, we can absolutely shelter both and be a contender.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015

dont forget drew bannister

Reactions: Blueston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad