Stickhandling

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyotesfan92

Dec 21, 2005
does anybody know any good moves to do on a breakaway. also, i saw this video that this guy was on a breakaway and he threw his glove on purpose to distract the goalie, then he shot. he didnt hit the goalie but he just threw it to the side and the goalie flinched. is that move legal. it was off a stickhandling video

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Don't know if that move is legal, but I think I may try it next time. Nothing else seems to work for me, so I guess I am no help to you.

Maybe take a look at the shootouts this year. One thing I tried this year was taking the puck really wide. Goalies don't seem to expect that. I scored by tucking it short side while the goalie was following me flying to the far side. My team asked me where I learned it and I said, "from watching the shootouts." I've seen Demitra bring it wide at least twice. Works for not so creative stickhandlers such as myself. You need A LOT of time though.

PensFan27

Mar 24, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
dbbourn said:
Don't know if that move is legal, but I think I may try it next time. Nothing else seems to work for me, so I guess I am no help to you.

Maybe take a look at the shootouts this year. One thing I tried this year was taking the puck really wide. Goalies don't seem to expect that. I scored by tucking it short side while the goalie was following me flying to the far side. My team asked me where I learned it and I said, "from watching the shootouts." I've seen Demitra bring it wide at least twice. Works for not so creative stickhandlers such as myself. You need A LOT of time though.
IMO the best thing to do is just take what the goalie gives you and come up with something on the spot. Usually works for me. If you want a pre-planned move that usually works try this. Come in 1 on 1 and fake a shot to freeze the goalie, go backhand then forehand to make the goalie kick out his pads and then shoot 5 hole. Almost every goalie will not have his stick there as he is trying to get post to post, and it should be an easy 5 hole goal. Works almost everytime unless your facing an amazing goalie, who ofcourse would know how to play that. :teach:

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
The key is to learn how to read a goalie. See how they move, where they are positioned in the net. The most important thing: Picture what the puck sees. You may see lots of room up high, but the puck, which is anywhere from 5-6 feet below your eyes, sees much less room there. If you see a goalie crouching down, like they are going to drop right when you position for the shot, then you might want to try up high. Sometimes, you'll get lucky and the goalie will clearly be hogging one side of the net.

The only way you'll really get good at putting it in the net is to find where the holes are. They are never the same, so no breakaway will ever be won with the same deke or shot. You gotta be flexible, don't get rushed, keep your head up, and read the holes in the net from the pucks perspective. You'll hit more shots that way.

A controlled shot here is just a given.

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
Breakaway? Simple.. make the goalie move and then shoot the puck where he isn't. A good goalie won't back in far enough to give you a shot he can't stop from the high slot, but faking a shot there can make him freeze.. and then you're good to go. Personally, I'm 6'3", so I can have a bit of fun and fake one way and go the other and move the puck about 8 feet with relative ease.

Either way, when I go in on a break, I usually like to have a variety of things I'll do as I come on the goalie and come in patiently. If I have a lot of time, I'll kick my leg in the air ala Ovechkin, if not, it's just as easy to flick my wrists in front of the puck. If that gets the goalie to really bite, I'll shoot, if not, come in a bit closer, start going one way, occasionally do a second wrist fake, depending on just how much time I have, and then pull back to the other side. Personally I love to come off the RW as a left handed shot, just slightly from the side, fake the shot, start going to my forehand, go to my backhand, and then pull back to my forehand.. works more often than not, as long as I do it quickly enough. Worst comes to worst on the move, there's a lot of times where you can just shoot the puck, which is the beauty of it!

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
DisgruntledHawkFan said:
Just shoot the puck. It's much harder for a goalie to stop if you can put the puck where you want to.

basically

even if you dont hit your spot, you still put the puck on net, and that is better than trying to do a fancy move and not even getting it on net.

a puck that is never shot never goes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad