Advice: stick flex question

jae

Dec 10, 2021
so i’m a female 15, 5’1 and about 130 pounds. i just bought a junior stick because it was the perfect height for me, but the flex is 50. and i play D, my old stick was a 65 flex it was just too short. i’m just wondering if i should go back and get a intermediate stick or keep my 50 flex junior?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
so i’m a female 15, 5’1 and about 130 pounds. i just bought a junior stick because it was the perfect height for me, but the flex is 50. and i play D, my old stick was a 65 flex it was just too short. i’m just wondering if i should go back and get a intermediate stick or keep my 50 flex junior?

Stick flex is largely personal preference, so no one can definitively answer that for you.

But based on your height and weight, that’s definitely in the range of what I would expect someone to use.

Only way to know for sure is try it out. Take some shots and receive some hard passes with it. If you aren’t airmailing shots and having trouble handling those passes then it’s probably not too whippy.

Make sure you’re comfortable with it, but again definitely in range of what I would expect someone with your specs to use

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you're probably on the other end of where flex ranges work. I can't find a stick near soft enough for what i really need. I don't think there's anything wrong with using that flex at that size and weight. Honestly, some of the flexes NHLers use are shockingly soft. Really depends on what you're doing though too.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I think you're probably on the other end of where flex ranges work. I can't find a stick near soft enough for what i really need. I don't think there's anything wrong with using that flex at that size and weight. Honestly, some of the flexes NHLers use are shockingly soft. Really depends on what you're doing though too.

If you can't seem to find a soft enough flex, don't be afraid to keep going down in flex and adding extensions etc. to get the specs right. Over the years I went from 85 flex all the way down to 50 flex. Then in the last year I lost 20-25lbs. I'm 5'5 155 now. Add that to an adjusted skating stance that puts me into a deeper crouch, I ended up chopping 2 inches off the length of my stick and dropping to a 40 flex, because something didn't feel right with my puckhandling and shot. I was pretty hesitant at first because 50 flex was already pretty soft, and I play center, but results have been to my surprise, pretty darn good. I've tried 40 flex before, but it always seemed a hair too whippy until now.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
The rule of thumb I've heard is flex should be about half your weight in lbs - so a 200 lb person should use a 100 flex stick.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
At your age, another thing to consider is the ability to grow into your stick. Those new sticks that cost upwards of 300$ now will put a dent into your pocket.

I’m not sure how your junior stick is long enough for you, but the intermediate isn’t. Like another poster said, there are extensions you can add as well.

No one is able to tell you the right flex or length for your hockey stick, but there are some suggestions I can give to you.

1. When it comes to flex, make sure you are able to utilize it. If you aren’t, don’t be afraid to use a whippier stick.

2. I’ve heard the preference of defensemen to have a longer stick, as it’s easier for gap control, stickwork, etc, again- all preference.

3. Now this is something that goes beyond flex and length. Your kick point, do you take big slappers from the point? You’re going to want a mid kick stick. If you take quick snappers, low kick stick.

My suggestion? Find an intermediate stick that is long enough for you. It might be too stiff at first but atleast you’ll be able to grow into it. And if I remember correctly you shouldn’t have an issue with an intermediate stick being too short if your junior stick works. I know grown adults that use 67 intermediate sticks.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
The rule of thumb I've heard is flex should be about half your weight in lbs - so a 200 lb person should use a 100 flex stick.

Unfortunately, that's an outdated way of thinking that gets perpetually circulated on the internet like a 20 year old celebrity sex vid. I heard in a video with a Warrior rep he was talking about how the trend before was NHL players used flexes typically between 85-100 flex. Now the trend is 85 flex in below. And if you look at what a lot of NHL players are using, it seems to be that way. Ovi is 6'3 235 and uses an 85 flex. Matthews is 6'3 223 and uses an 80 flex. Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9 165 and uses a 55 flex.

Now there are also plenty of examples of players using flexes that are 50% their body weight, but very-very few that go beyond that. So, if you look at it as a range, that 50% body weight seems to be the upper end of things. But at the end of the day it's about if you can flex the stick properly or not when shooting and if you can get the stick to do what you want when you want.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
Unfortunately, that's an outdated way of thinking that gets perpetually circulated on the internet like a 20 year old celebrity sex vid. I heard in a video with a Warrior rep he was talking about how the trend before was NHL players used flexes typically between 85-100 flex. Now the trend is 85 flex in below. And if you look at what a lot of NHL players are using, it seems to be that way. Ovi is 6'3 235 and uses an 85 flex. Matthews is 6'3 223 and uses an 80 flex. Johnny Gaudreau is 5'9 165 and uses a 55 flex.

Now there are also plenty of examples of players using flexes that are 50% their body weight, but very-very few that go beyond that. So, if you look at it as a range, that 50% body weight seems to be the upper end of things. But at the end of the day it's about if you can flex the stick properly or not when shooting and if you can get the stick to do what you want when you want.
This is good advice. I have been going down in flex over the last several years so that I can take advantage of the flex technology. As stated above find the balance between getting good flex with your shot but being able to control hard passes and you should be at the right flex.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010

Thank you for this post - great way to "flex" your knowledge while also helping dispel the myth.

As a goaltender I probably shouldn't be weighing in on flex anyway, but I'll definitely keep your post in mind moving forward

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This is good advice. I have been going down in flex over the last several years so that I can take advantage of the flex technology. As stated above find the balance between getting good flex with your shot but being able to control hard passes and you should be at the right flex.
I'm in the same boat, 5'9 180 to 185lbs

- 100 flew when I was younger
- 85 flex as sticks got better
- Tried a 75 flex at Pro hockey life and was sold
- For shits and giggles I tried a 65 flex one day and now I'm hooked. That was 5 years ago.

Too many people are afraid to go down in flex becuase "they need a stiffer stick" or "they will break it". What they don't know is they are probably hurting their shot and low flex doesn't mean weaker sticks that break more often.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Too many people are afraid to go down in flex becuase "they need a stiffer stick" or "they will break it". What they don't know is they are probably hurting their shot and low flex doesn't mean weaker sticks that break more often.

I have family that works with carbon fibre to make aircraft parts, so people's lives are literally dependant on them knowing what's what. Talking with them confirmed what I've heard and seen in videos. It's extremely difficult to flex carbon fibre to the breaking point. There's video on youtbe of 6'0 200lbs-ish Coach Jeremy deliberately trying to break a 20 or 30 flex stick and it took a huge amount of effort and flexing to make it fail, effort beyond what a normal shot would take. What makes sticks break are the accumulation of micro-fractures and chips, allowing moisture to come into contact with and breakdown the resins, is what leads to breakage. Usually, the shot is the last straw that finishes a stick off, not the true reason for failure.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I have family that works with carbon fibre to make aircraft parts, so people's lives are literally dependant on them knowing what's what. Talking with them confirmed what I've heard and seen in videos. It's extremely difficult to flex carbon fibre to the breaking point. There's video on youtbe of 6'0 200lbs-ish Coach Jeremy deliberately trying to break a 20 or 30 flex stick and it took a huge amount of effort and flexing to make it fail, effort beyond what a normal shot would take. What makes sticks break are the accumulation of micro-fractures and chips, allowing moisture to come into contact with and breakdown the resins, is what leads to breakage. Usually, the shot is the last straw that finishes a stick off, not the true reason for failure.
Can you provide any insight on why my sticks always have “pop” when I first buy them? It feels like pucks zip off my stick for the first few sessions and seem to lose it after.

Is it just a mental thing? I have a guess that it’s from the foams in the blade, but does it have anything to do with micro fractures or stick integrity?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Can you provide any insight on why my sticks always have “pop” when I first buy them? It feels like pucks zip off my stick for the first few sessions and seem to lose it after.

Is it just a mental thing? I have a guess that it’s from the foams in the blade, but does it have anything to do with micro fractures or stick integrity?
Unfortunately, I don't have any insight on the "pop". I haven't read or heard anything about the foams in the blade, which if were to guess, is probably why a stick loses that pop feel, but I can't say for sure.

I can tell you this. I have a sports radar and have clocked my shot using old sticks and new sticks, and the velocity is pretty much the same. Also, I found that feel can fool you. I've taken shots where I swear I crushed it like a beer can, and the radar tells me it was below average. Then, there are times when it doesn't feel like I did anything special and the radar tells me the shot was red hot. I think the hockey shot is a lot like the golf swing. The more you muscle it, the less impressive the results are. It's all about the technique and execution.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

That doesn't sound right or normal at all, unless you are playing roller/street hockey on asphalt or some other abrasive surface and you're really wearing down the blade of the stick fast.

When the blade gets damaged or worn, the blade itself starts to flex instead of staying stiff and allowing the shaft to fully flex. That's ususally what happens when my sticks 'die' or lose their 'pop' and you start getting weak shots and the stick starting to feel like a pool noodle.

But the shaft and stick as a whole can also degrade and lose pop but that happens over a longer time frame, not a few skates.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
But the shaft and stick as a whole can also degrade and lose pop but that happens over a longer time frame, not a few skates.

I don't know if it's mental or not, but a stick does lose that new stick feel/pop to it. That doesn't mean the stick turns into mush, but there's a crispness that goes away. It could very well just be the player getting used to the feel, but I hear other people mentioning it, too. I remember hearing a crazy story of how an NHL player, I believe it was Jarred Stoll, would change to a new stick every few shots because it would lose its pop. And from what I've read a lot of NHL players will switch to a new stick every game regardless of damage, and some will switch to a new stick every period.

Now does losing that new car smell really affect anything? From my experience, no, but I do believe there is something happening? Yes. Again, whether its a mental or physical thing, who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad