stick flex info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
hi guys,
never really paid attention to flex before...just bought the stick that felt good. ;)

I'd like info or reccomendations on stick flex.
I'm 5'8 180lbs. I have an averge slaphot with a good wristshot. I play more of a stay at home defence, but I do have an offensive burst from time to time.
I have a Bauer Vapour XX OPS with a flex of 102. at the time I purchased that stick, that was the only flex left. I do think the flex on that stick is a little too stiff. what would be reccomended for flex if I go for another stick next season?

I get the occasional good customer rebate at the local sports store. what OPS do you guys reccomend. I heard from some people that the quality of Bauer OPS wasn't that good. never had problems with mine, but from experience...any reccomendations on OPS? what stick would have a good balance between performance perforamnce and durability?

thanx

nni

Dec 29, 2005
Pat said:
hi guys,
never really paid attention to flex before...just bought the stick that felt good. ;)

I'm 5'8 180lbs. I have an averge slaphot with a good wristshot. I play more of a stay at home defence, but I do have an offensive burst from time to time.
I have a Bauer Vapour XX OPS with a flex of 102. at the time I purchased that stick, that was the only flex left. I do think the flex on that stick is a little too stiff. what would be reccomended for flex if I go for another stick next season?

I get the occasional good customer rebate at the local sports store. what OPS do you guys reccomend. I heard from some people that the quality of Bauer OPS wasn't that good. never had problems with mine, but from experience...any reccomendations on OPS? what stick would have a good balance between performance perforamnce and durability?

thanx

i would think an 85-95 range would be good for you.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Bauer's 102 is what they call a Pro flex. Which is stiffer then a regular flex. Which in Bauer's case is an 87.

The Bauer 102 Pro flex is equal to a Easton 110, possibly even higher.

The Bauer 87 regular flex is equal to a Easton 100.

Anything below a regular flex might be to soft for someone your size.

If you like the Bauer stick with it. Next time look for an 87 instead.

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
I like the 100 flex and most of the sticks I use are Easton so I'd recommend getting 100 flex or if you stick with Bauer then 87

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I'm a similar player with what you described...I'm using an Easton 85 flex. Not outstanding for slapshots, but good for wristers. I'm a bit taller than you though. Idk how long of a stick you use, but shortening it makes the stick even stiffer.

Idk anything about Bauer durability...but they do got a model Endure out that's made for durability. I think it's XX with slash protection one stick, etc.

If you want the 100 Easton flex..UltraLites are pretty durable, just it isn't a one-piece.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
sc37 said:
I'm a similar player with what you described...I'm using an Easton 85 flex. Not outstanding for slapshots, but good for wristers. I'm a bit taller than you though. Idk how long of a stick you use, but shortening it makes the stick even stiffer.

Idk anything about Bauer durability...but they do got a model Endure out that's made for durability. I think it's XX with slash protection one stick, etc.

If you want the 100 Easton flex..UltraLites are pretty durable, just it isn't a one-piece.
my stick comes up to my chin when I'm on my skates. my current stick is a 102 pro flex, very stiff indeed as some other poster said. I'm definitely gonna get a new stick for next season with a lower flex. more "whip" should be better for the wristers.
Bauer advertises their Endure model as their most durable OPS.

I heard that Louisville TPS sticks are very good???? anybdoy has info on those

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
For the record, Easton 100 = Bauer 102, Easton 85 = Bauer 87, etc.

There's a reason there's only a flex rating difference of 2.

In general, as performance gets better, durability gets worse. You can get very durable OPS relatively cheap (Vapor V, Easton Synergy 350), but these are heavier and not that great performing sticks.

You probably want to look in the 85 range and that pretty much limits you to Bauer, Easton, and Mission. Both CCM and TPS go from a higher rating (~95 Easton) to a whip or intermediate flex (~75 Easton).

I personally stay away from Easton sticks and have never owned a Bauer OPS, so I can't comment much on them though XXs or Endures will last you longer than the XXXs from Bauer, it seems. You probably want to stay away from XXX Lites right now as the first batch is notorious for breaking. You might be able to find a good deal Mission M-1s. I use Hex-1s and love them, but they're at the higher end of the price range.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
GLU said:
For the record, Easton 100 = Bauer 102, Easton 85 = Bauer 87, etc.

Hmm.... It's weird, the numbers don't seem to match the names.

Bauer doesn't make anything higher then a 102 calling it a pro flex. While Easton makes a 110.

Bauer calls it's 87 flex a regular flex. Easton's regular flex in a 100.

Of course it's probably just semantics. It could even be the way the sticks were designed and/or made.

I use an 85 flex Warrior and it's pretty whippy to me at 150 pounds. Pretty close to my TPS Response whip flex. I also have an Easton 85 flex Z-Bubble shaft and it's slightly stiffer then my Warrior.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Bauer does make a 112 flex, it's just pretty rare. The 87 flex is closer to the "regular" flex of TPS and CCM. I've never heard Easton call their 100 flex regular, it's just most common to see people using a 100 flex Easton than any other flex (around here at least). Bauer's the same, they just call their lower flex regular.

Bauer
112 - Pro Stiff
102 - Pro Flex
87 - Regular flex

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
EazyB97 said:
Bauer does make a 112 flex, it's just pretty rare. The 87 flex is closer to the "regular" flex of TPS and CCM. I've never heard Easton call their 100 flex regular, it's just most common to see people using a 100 flex Easton than any other flex (around here at least). Bauer's the same, they just call their lower flex regular.

Bauer
112 - Pro Stiff
102 - Pro Flex
87 - Regular flex

Ah...that makes sense. I looked at a few sites and couldn't find anything higher then a 102 so assumed it was their highest. Of course I can't check the Bauer site here because of some missing software.

So Bauer's 77 medium flex would be a whip flex, correct?

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
EazyB97 said:
Hockeygiant sold me a "regular flex" Nike Apollo that turned out to be a 102 flex. I still don't know if that was an accident or not.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Pat said:
hi guys,

thanx

In terms of composites I'm basically just an Easton boy, so I'll stick to that. If you want a very durable stick I suggest going with the Easton Ultra-Lite (the green/gold shiny one) I haven't had one break on me, and the flex on that stick is usually 100-110.

I usually use two-pieces though, so if you venture into that field try using the Easton Z-Bubble, it's also a very nice shaft and combined with one of their Kevlar blades it usually does wonders. I really like the Z-Bubble/Lidstrom set-up, pretty good for slappers.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd look into a TPS regular flex stick. I'm a fan of the Xn10 line, but have heard good things about the Adrenaline as well. CCM seems to make durable OPS, but I've always thought they lack in "feel". The Regular should slide in at about a 90-95 flex and offer something a little whippier than what you are using now.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
I just saw a Bauer Vapour XX max stick'um 87 flex with a Naslund pattern on sale at the local sports store.
hmmmm, might I go for that one??? I'm pretty tempted. the hight was perfect, wouldn't have to cut it ;)

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
87 is a good flex for your size and the Vapor XX is a damn good stick. The pattern is personal choice though.

Lately I've been playing with a Easton Z-Bubble Shaft (85 flex) and a Sherwood Spezza wood blade. Damn good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig