Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 9: 500 Goals & 1,100 Points and counting Edition

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think last night was a case of both the team needing Stamkos to produce in a big moment just as much as Stamkos needed it for himself. I'm not saying it always needs to be in this fashion as much as that's the kind of thing that can turn an entire season around for a team and a player. There was that one random night in like 2018 or 2019 where Stamkos scored twice in Montreal and said something to effect of not having felt that for a long time. And from that point on it was as if his shot was miraculously fixed for the first time in years because he had confidence in it again. The whole team rallied behind him

Last night felt like one of those moments

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
I think we should try him back at center. He's good on faceoffs and I just feel like he plays better there.

Would definitely help out our center depth imo.
Gotta agree. He can still haul the mail exiting the zone, but his play in the O zone along the boards is a little sub-par. Putting him in the middle would address that factor. So, if that, then who would move where?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Gotta agree. He can still haul the mail exiting the zone, but his play in the O zone along the boards is a little sub-par. Putting him in the middle would address that factor. So, if that, then who would move where?
Honestly? Maybe just put Cirelli on the wing. I like his work ethic down low.

I don't think we should mess with the lines too much since they seem to be coming together and all.

Moving Cirelli to the wing might be the easiest option. I don't think he would skip a beat.

Only other thing I can think of is putting Stammer back on the top line with Kuch and moving point to the second line.

Hagel-Stamkos-Kucherov
Point-Cirelli-Paul
Jeannot-Motte-Eyssimont
Koepke-Glendenning-Barre-Boulet

I'd rather not mess with the 3rd line after last game.

Again, putting Stamkos back at center is just something thats been bouncing around in my head for a bit. Not sure how or if we could even make that work with the personnel we have right now.

But the PCP line does have a nice ring to it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Honestly? Maybe just put Cirelli on the wing. I like his work ethic down low.

I don't think we should mess with the lines too much since they seem to be coming together and all.

Moving Cirelli to the wing might be the easiest option. I don't think he would skip a beat.

Only other thing I can think of is putting Stammer back on the top line with Kuch and moving point to the second line.

Hagel-Stamkos-Kucherov
Point-Cirelli-Paul
Jeannot-Motte-Eyssimont
Koepke-Glendenning-Barre-Boulet

I'd rather not mess with the 3rd line after last game.

Again, putting Stamkos back at center is just something thats been bouncing around in my head for a bit. Not sure how or if we could even make that work with the personnel we have right now.

But the PCP line does have a nice ring to it.
The only problem with Stamkos and Kucherov is that Stamkos tries too hard to also be the smartest guy on the ice. Instead of Vinny and Marty efficiency you get that silly "No YOU shoot it silly goose!" energy until nothing gets accomplished. The nuances of when to finish a play is sometimes too often lost on Stamkos because he wants to return the favor to Kucherov. On the PP they have about a minute to get something done and aren't afforded their bro time. Just shoot it bro. Point doesn't have that problem and thus always centers the line

If he's gonna shoot, absolutely put him with Kucherov. Its literally the smartest thing we can do. But he's gotta remember he's Daniel Sedin, not Henrik.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Stamkos ties Brian Bellows to reach the top 20 in Power play goals in NHL history

10. Dino Ciccarelli232 pp goals
11. Jaromir Jagr217 pp goals
11. Mike Gartner217 pp goals
13. Joe Nieuwendyk215 pp goals
14. Keith Tkachuk212 pp goals
15. Gordie Howe211 pp goals
16. Joe Sakic205 pp goals
17. Wayne Gretzky204 pp goals
18. Steve Yzerman202 pp goals
19. Mark Recchi200 pp goals
20. Steven Stamkos198 pp goals
20. Brian Bellows198 pp goals

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
I agree- he sometimes tries to be backhand passer and get tricky like Kuch- when all I want him to do is shoot the rock! Shoot, shoot, shoot Stammer!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I agree- he sometimes tries to be backhand passer and get tricky like Kuch- when all I want him to do is shoot the rock! Shoot, shoot, shoot Stammer!

lol the Stamkos backhand saucer mystery box on the PP, is it going to reach it's target? Is it going straight onto the stick of an opposing player? Does it land half way into the middle of nowhere?

You definitely hold you breath every time he's forced onto his backhand on that half wall.

Reactions: Hoek and Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
lol the Stamkos backhand saucer mystery box on the PP, is it going to reach it's target? Is it going straight onto the stick of an opposing player? Does it land half way into the middle of nowhere?

You definitely hold you breath every time he's forced onto his backhand on that half wall.
Yeah. I mean, pretty much any time Stamkos has the puck and shooting isnt an option, you're just hoping to keep possession.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009

Right?! It's torture. Is it an immediate breakaway or 2 on 1 for the other team? No-one knows.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Feels like he's one of the most under the radar, as in "softest," point per game players league wide. The dude sucks.

Please read this and start scoring again

Finished with a hat trick on the night.
Well, I'm 2/2 the last couple weeks.

I'll have a third target ready by next puck drop.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Marty's game was an afternoon one too I think, 1st day after the Olympic snub. He could've had like 6 goals that game too.

Crazy that was 10 years ago....

Reactions: DFC

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
40 games played, Stammer has two more even strength points than Cirelli and Cirelli has 15. Hagel has 30, 2nd only to Kuch.

Reactions: Renopucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad