Recalled/Assigned: Steven Fogarty

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pack brought in Bleackley on a PTO, Elmer from Maine, Khodorenko on an ATO, O'Leary on an ATO, and Giutarri on an ATO. So four forwards and one defenseman. It figures that with Lettieri, Beleskey, and Geersten suspended for three games that they would need reinforcements; I speculated like ten minutes ago that the Bleackley move could be because Hartford anticipated losing someone on an emergency call-up to replace Chytil.

Anyway, when Fogarty gets in--if he gets in--it's probably the last time we see him. I've enjoyed following his career for what seems like a decade. Hopefully he can pop one in before all is said and done.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kind of remember Carcillo getting a 10 game (?) suspension for abuse of an official in the playoffs. Here is this Keeper guy getting only 3--the same as Beleskey, Lettieri and Geertsen and basically what I gleaned from listening to it was the Springfield team pretty much started the ruckus.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Pack brought in Bleackley on a PTO, Elmer from Maine, Khodorenko on an ATO, O'Leary on an ATO, and Giutarri on an ATO. So four forwards and one defenseman. It figures that with Lettieri, Beleskey, and Geersten suspended for three games that they would need reinforcements; I speculated like ten minutes ago that the Bleackley move could be because Hartford anticipated losing someone on an emergency call-up to replace Chytil.

Anyway, when Fogarty gets in--if he gets in--it's probably the last time we see him. I've enjoyed following his career for what seems like a decade. Hopefully he can pop one in before all is said and done.

being a captain of the Wolfpack I can see him resigning although I thought he would have been a 4th line center by now.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
being a captain of the Wolfpack I can see him resigning although I thought he would have been a 4th line center by now.

Fogarty kind of reminds me of Marek Hrivik. Good AHL player but not a great skater. That is also why Nieves is a better option IMO--he covers more ground faster. But Nieves is banged up again.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Think I would of preferred Gettinger getting the call up and moving McKegg to centre for a bit, but this is okay too.

Our fourth line will probably get even less minutes until Chytil gets back, now.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Fogarty kind of reminds me of Marek Hrivik. Good AHL player but not a great skater. That is also why Nieves is a better option IMO--he covers more ground faster. But Nieves is banged up again.

Nieves is not that good. what a waste of a draft pick, gets hurt way too much and for a 4th line player, he does not do anything noticeable. he stinks

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nieves is not that good. what a waste of a draft pick, gets hurt way too much and for a 4th line player, he does not do anything noticeable. he stinks
LOL man you never miss any opportunity to shit all over Nieves, do you?

The value he has provided from the #59 spot is about average. Now I know you're dying to list off all the guys taken in rounds 2-5 who are better BUT--I don't care. I'm talking on average. He was a very average 59th pick, and there's no reason to trash him at every opportunity. If anything he has been a good soldier for us.

Reactions: CasusBelli

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
LOL man you never miss any opportunity to shit all over Nieves, do you?

The value he has provided from the #59 spot is about average. Now I know you're dying to list off all the guys taken in rounds 2-5 who are better BUT--I don't care. I'm talking on average. He was a very average 59th pick, and there's no reason to trash him at every opportunity. If anything he has been a good soldier for us.
for a 2ed round pick I wish they drafted someone better. i mean during the 2012 draft, they picked Nieves over so many players not just round 2 but the later rounds. awful scouting continues in the Rangers Organization

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
for a 2ed round pick I wish they drafted someone better. i mean during the 2012 draft, they picked Nieves over so many players not just round 2 but the later rounds. awful scouting continues in the Rangers Organization
LOL you did exactly what I said you'd do, lament all the "better" players we could have taken. Like 75% of the guys taken after Nieves who ended up playing more games than him also suck and are also borderline AHL guys. There are some decent players that were drafted after him but only a handful where you actually regret missing out. Like, Jimmy Vesey is inarguably better than Nieves and was taken about ten picks later. Should we care we "missed out" on Vesey?

We've had an insane amount of good picks in the third. Why don't you focus on that? Stepan and Anisimov in the second? Robertson will be a home run, book it.

You need to not look at each pick and then see who we could have had. We drafted Buchnevich in the third along with Duclair. Awesome picks, right? Yeah but we could have had Guentzel. Is Fast a bad pick because 20 picks later we could have had Mark Stone?

Reactions: Greg02

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
LOL you did exactly what I said you'd do, lament all the "better" players we could have taken. Like 75% of the guys taken after Nieves who ended up playing more games than him also suck and are also borderline AHL guys. There are some decent players that were drafted after him but only a handful where you actually regret missing out. Like, Jimmy Vesey is inarguably better than Nieves and was taken about ten picks later. Should we care we "missed out" on Vesey?

We've had an insane amount of good picks in the third. Why don't you focus on that? Stepan and Anisimov in the second? Robertson will be a home run, book it.

You need to not look at each pick and then see who we could have had. We drafted Buchnevich in the third along with Duclair. Awesome picks, right? Yeah but we could have had Guentzel. Is Fast a bad pick because 20 picks later we could have had Mark Stone?

Year after year, I see veterans like you reminding folks around here to be even tempered and providing a ton of valuable context. Keep fighting the good fight, it makes everyone smarter and elevates the conversation.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Unless you mentioned in 2012 that you wanted any of these players over Nieves, your argument here is meaningless. Anyone can be a great GM when you have the gift of hindsight. That's not how it works though. You cannot go back 8 years and say "Why didn't they pick any of these 5 players out of the next 150? They suck at drafting"

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Year after year, I see veterans like you reminding folks around here to be even tempered and providing a ton of valuable context. Keep fighting the good fight, it makes everyone smarter and elevates the conversation.
Thanks.

Gropp was a questionable pick at the time and a lot of people said as much. Lindbom was doomed from the start. Halverson, same.

Christian Thomas looked like a smart pick, some upside in a system that otherwise had none. Werek looked good. Stepan? No one knew much about him. And then Thomas turned into a 4A guy, Werek bombed, and Stepan became a star. Go figure.

Nieves was considered a really good pick by most professional evaluators. A kid with a great frame, wheels, talent. A riser. Very little reason to be upset with that pick. He was often cited in "Potential Steals" lists. He didn't fully develop and ended up a mediocre 59th pick. It happens.

I don't have a problem going back and saying Player X was a failed pick. Nothing wrong with doing that. Especially when at the time of the choice there was reason to pan the pick. But when you go back and look at a pick and what the guy was at this time and how the pick was regarded, and it's all positive, it's disingenuous to then say, "Oh what a waste of a pick." Good pick at the time that didn't work out. Mediocre pick using retrospective judgment.

For whatever reason we've sucked in the second round a lot over the past decade and a half. We do well in the latter half of round one, struggle in the top half; struggle in round two; kill it in rounds three and four. It's all just statistical noise IMO and maybe some drafting philosophy, but in general I think we're doing fine.

The McIlrath pick is really the only one I truly regret, but that's old news and we should put it behind us.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

As you said props to @nyr2k2 and others but unfortunately it doesn't make everyone smarter which is a shame.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks.

Gropp was a questionable pick at the time and a lot of people said as much. Lindbom was doomed from the start. Halverson, same.

Christian Thomas looked like a smart pick, some upside in a system that otherwise had none. Werek looked good. Stepan? No one knew much about him. And then Thomas turned into a 4A guy, Werek bombed, and Stepan became a star. Go figure.

Did Werek via trade turn into Lindberg who was picked by VGK in the expansion draft over Fast (as an alternative possibility)?

Reactions: Leetch3 and nyr2k2

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Just going through the last Top 20 Rangers article from HF (Spring 2016). To date Fogarty’s played 18 games with the Rangers. Is he re-signed or more likely a candidate for an AHL contract - either with Hartford or elsewhere?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Does everyone realize that Nieves was a late second round pick after have being mentioned as a possible first rounder?
Yeah, he was thought at the time to be a good value with good upside. It didn't work out. It happens. At that spot it's not a huge deal. And yeah, better players were picked later--and 15 guys from that round picked ahead of him also have yet to play an NHL game. He's not a pick to get mad about.

As for Fogarty: six months ago I would have guessed he was gone. With the flat cap, I think there's now a decent chance that the Rangers offer him another contract. He's a fringe player but he's cheap, he knows the system, he's a leader in Hartford and also s good player down there. He's also a guy you can probably get through waivers no problem. I think it's 50/50 he's back. He also may want to try his luck elsewhere.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Nieves should have turned pro earlier, he plateaued in his 4 seasons of NCAA then injuries also played a role.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nieves should have turned pro earlier, he plateaued in his 4 seasons of NCAA then injuries also played a role.
IDK. He never really got better from when he was drafted. He rounded out his defensive game in college, but the offensive instincts just aren't there. I don't think turning pro would have magically given him the ability to think the game more quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad