Stephen Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Who has seen Later play in his WHL career?
Why did he play so few games until he joined the Wheaties?
He's one of the most gifted puck handling and rushing defenceman I've seen, (and I watched Housley set up Selanne a lot!!), his achillies hill appears to be a very short fuse!!
When he's focused and wheeling he's a huge offensive force, he's capable of hitting hard, not afraid to play rough and scrap and even if he gets caught up ice he has the speed to get back into position. When he rushes the puck his head fakes leave a lot of potential checkers bemused!!
Pair him up with a stay at home defenceman and it's like having 4 forwards on the ice!! He demands the puck a lot and usually makes great plays with it, he's integral on the powerplay.....
Just looking for opinions on him.....

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Leachmeister2000 said:
I'd like to know more about him as well...maybe later...sad pun
That's poor man!!! ---Just kiddin!!
I'm interested to hear what he's done in his past, and who can take the credit for his improvement....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's one of the strangest players I've ever seen, just in that I've never seen another player quite like him. A 6'4", 200+ PIM defender who plays like a rover. His size, skating, skills, and toughness are all pro-calibre, but his attention to his defensive responsibilities is not.

If he can't adjust his defensive game to the AHL, someone will convert him to forward, and he might be better suited there.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
MS said:
He's one of the strangest players I've ever seen, just in that I've never seen another player quite like him. A 6'4", 200+ PIM defender who plays like a rover. His size, skating, skills, and toughness are all pro-calibre, but his attention to his defensive responsibilities is not.

If he can't adjust his defensive game to the AHL, someone will convert him to forward, and he might be better suited there.

I agree, I think he'd be a great forward as well. He can really wheel and dangle, got great size too.

meds09

Jan 14, 2004
HA. Later is one of the worst skaters i have ever seen. He is so choppy, he may have good moves but his hands are not quite there.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
meds09 said:
HA. Later is one of the worst skaters i have ever seen. He is so choppy, he may have good moves but his hands are not quite there.
im sure 7-200 in WHL Playoff scoring, Rejean Beauchamin, Justin Pogge and whoever Moose jaws goalie was, will beg to differ

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Steven Later...........Is one of the hardest working players ive seen play in a long time.....only he compares to Ryan Stone on the WK's for hard working players.

He has dynamic moves with the puck and skates very well.......his hands may not quite be with his feet but he is tall and lanky that is not uncommon.......the fact that he is doing so well offensively shouldnt be a total shock as he was an all star as a 17 yr old in the MJHL and scored aprox 65 points that year as well.

He was never given that much of a chance until brandon picked him up last year....even then he was thought to only be a replacement or some muscle for the lineup.

He out worked 2 hard working 20 year old dmen for brandon to stick with the club this year along side konsorada and monych as the teams 20 year olds....he hasnt looked back since....hes been awesome all year long.

He does have times of inconsistency with the puck and tends to give away the puck and cause the odd goal in your own net.

hope my info could be of some help.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was jacked to select him in a prospect mock draft and the other GMs simply went "Huh? Why him."

They obviously have not watched the guy this year. He oozes talent. Way underrated, based on previous years' play elsewhere.

He's showing what he can do, and will make it to the big league, and score twenty points as a rookie too, if on an offensive team.

Potential: A good 4th d-man to man the second powerplay unit.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
sbtatter said:
Good info guys. Paheuf fan, who did Later play for in the MJHL?

Im sorry i dont recall.....my thoughts seem to be either Neepawa Natives or Portage Terriers but i could be wrong.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
He played 2 years for Winnipeg South Blues....same team Tyler Arnason and Garnet Exelby played for. After WSB, he played a half year at Ferris State then went to the WHL to play for Saskatoon.

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hordichuk_24 said:
Later was drafted by a UHL team a few months back. But I have no idea if he plans on going to play for them next season or not.

I think he will get sigend by some NHL or AHL team, like someone else said I could see a team converting Later to a forward and using him on the point for the PP.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Stephen Later has some potential...

to be a pro player, but, he has some personal baggage and off-ice habits that "he" and only he can improve upon.

If he can improve his off ice discipline and work hard all year 'round from here on in, I believe he would be worth a development spot with NHL team that would be willing take on a project.

This is what has held him back in the past. I know the Wheat Kings environment & McCrimmon has been a positive influence on him, therefore the results.

I have noted his attitude and focus have improved a whole lot in the 2nd half of the season.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
John Agar said:
to be a pro player, but, he has some personal baggage and off-ice habits that "he" and only he can improve upon.

If he can improve his off ice discipline and work hard all year 'round from here on in, I believe he would be worth a development spot with NHL team that would be willing take on a project.

This is what has held him back in the past. I know the Wheat Kings environment & McCrimmon has been a positive influence on him, therefore the results.

I have noted his attitude and focus have improved a whole lot in the 2nd half of the season.
I dread to think of the personal bagage, hope it's not addictive. I see him as having huge on ice skills, but spoilt buy his temper, he needs to stop reacting to PA's cheap shots....he's way more valuable on the ice than in the penalty box.....
g

Last edited:

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Well, not his best game last night, not bad either, played on the wing quite a bit and didn't take stupid retalatory penalties.... He's surely going to get a shot in the AHL, I think he'll require a Sutter type coach to keep him on the straight and narrow. Maybe Vancouver will sign him and Carlyle can tutor him....

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Later didn't play in the 3rd last night, wonder what injury he picked up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad