News Article: Stempniak Wanted to Return, Jets Chose Youth Movement

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with the bold. I'm not sure if Petan gets an equal shot at 4C with Copp. I think he should be clearly more talented and able but not seen as 4th line type whereas Copp is. I think Petan could slot in there but only if Copp fails. Really I see the same situation with Ehlers and Armia. They have to fail for Petan to get the shot. His best chance might be to beat out Ehlers for the top 9 spot. Just my feel for the situation. Nothing concrete.

As for the last sentence I may be getting overly optimistic but I think more than 3 ready is more likely than less. That's why Chevy didn't sign anybody.

I don't see 4th line c as where Petan will make his mark. As I've argued before I think the Jets will have what would better be described as a 3A and 3B line this season getting approx equal icetime, where the talent is mixed between the lines where one gets usage tilted to the OZ and is more sheltered likely with offensively skilled rookies and the other is tilted towards the DZ with more experienced players.

I see a lineup something like:

LLW
MP-Scheifele- Ehlers/Stafford
Petan-Lowry- Ehlers/Stafford
Thor-Burmi-Armia/Copp

Or some combination of the above.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Halischuk, Cormier, Fraser and MacWilliam were all offered large AHL salaries. Those are usually given to solid AHL players who are no longer considered NHL prospects I believe. They are told to expect to play in the AHL for a salary that most of us would love to get. They are given a 2 way so that they can retain hope for another chance at the show. AFAIK that is the pattern with those kinds of contracts. If they are kept around they transition to AHL only contracts in another year or two.
Halischuk AHL 200k
Fraser AHL 325k
Cormier AHL 150k
MacWilliam AHL 150k
Contrast to Scheifele, Lowry, Armia, Hellebuyck and Trouba, all 70k AHL.
This is true. This makes sense, but it doesn't change anything. Halischuck was on a 2 way deal that paid 250k in the AHL. This was a couple years back.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Bang on. At this time last year we were saying Pardy and Halischuk weren't part of the plan for the NHL roster too. Neither of them played an AHL game last season. The sunshine and rainbows of summer often make some here forget the cold hard reality of winter.

Neither of those guys would have re-signed with the Jets if they didn't feel like they had an excellent opportunity to stick on the NHL roster, two-way or not. NHL coaches prefer veterans, always. Especially veterans they've worked with and had some success with. Halischuk has an upper hand on a roster spot over the young wingers with Maurice.

Even Maurice has said repeatedly that "The NHL isn't a developmental league."

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
A 2-way contract doesn't necessarily mean a player will land with the Moose but IMO when a player signs a 2-way contract it is pretty apparent that they player is agreeing to and fully aware that playing in the AHL is a strong likelihood.

Aye. It means it is possible and perhaps likely in some scenarios, but the Jets haven't relegated all of their 2-ways in recent years. I was wondering why you expect a change.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is true. This makes sense, but it doesn't change anything. Halischuck was on a 2 way deal that paid 250k in the AHL. This was a couple years back.

This too is true. Things don't always go according to plan. We didn't have the available prospect depth 2 years ago. Hali could play a lot for the Jets this year but I don't expect it unless we get an exceptional number of injuries.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Aye. It means it is possible and perhaps likely in some scenarios, but the Jets haven't relegated all of their 2-ways in recent years. I was wondering why you expect a change.

It's not that I am expecting things to change but there might be a couple of differences this season.

Travel: with the Moose being in the same building it creates less of a barrier. It allows for same day decisions. It also makes life less traumatic for vets with families splitting time between clubs. Which leads to my Second point

Quality of waiver exempt replacements: It also makes giving prospects that don't make the Jets out of camp but are waiver exempt more access to games with the Jets. If rookies are getting shots they may stick (see chiarot). This year our list of prospects that are young, waiver exempt, but talented is greater than past seasons.

Lastly, If a tree falls in the forest: It's one thing to play well on the rock but it's another thing to play well as a pro in Winnipeg in front of the powers that be. Away more chance for Chevy, Zinger, and even Mo to take a look. It will create more debate on this board and The increased viewings may create more debate behind closed doors as well. Seeing it live is always different.

To be crystal clear I am not expecting much if any change and as usual it will all come down to injuries but there are some fundamentals in play that could at least put the winds of opprotunity at prospects backs vs squarely in their face with a team in St John's. I sense this season has a slightly different feel based on access and quality so the odds are better although still tilted towards vets.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It's not that I am expecting things to change but there might be a couple of differences this season.

Travel: with the Moose being in the same building it creates less of a barrier. It allows for same day decisions. It also makes life less traumatic for vets with families splitting time between clubs. Which leads to my Second point

Quality of waiver exempt replacements: It also makes giving prospects that don't make the Jets out of camp but are waiver exempt more access to games with the Jets. If rookies are getting shots they may stick (see chiarot). This year our list of prospects that are young, waiver exempt, but talented is greater than past seasons.

Lastly, If a tree falls in the forest: It's one thing to play well on the rock but it's another thing to play well as a pro in Winnipeg in front of the powers that be. Away more chance for Chevy, Zinger, and even Mo to take a look. It will create more debate on this board and The increased viewings may create more debate behind closed doors as well. Seeing it live is always different.

To be crystal clear I am not expecting much if any change and as usual it will all come down to injuries but there are some fundamentals in play that could at least put the winds of opprotunity at prospects backs vs squarely in their face with a team in St John's. I sense this season has a slightly different feel based on access and quality so the odds are better although still tilted towards vets.
I agree, ps.
I expect Petan, Morrissey or Copp, if they do not make the opening day roster, to be called up frequently. Minor injuries and illnesses are actually more common than major ones, but distance had precluded the ability to fill in on short notice. This year, if someone pulls a muscle or has the flu, the replacement is around the corner, which is better for both payers, and hence for the team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree, ps.
I expect Petan, Morrissey or Copp, if they do not make the opening day roster, to be called up frequently. Minor injuries and illnesses are actually more common than major ones, but distance had precluded the ability to fill in on short notice. This year, if someone pulls a muscle or has the flu, the replacement is around the corner, which is better for both payers, and hence for the team.

Somewhat true but how much of the time will both teams be in Winnipeg at the same time? Travel will be easier than it was from the rock and some of the time it will be just across the hall but more often than not there will still be some travel required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad