Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
steblick said:
A few more points.

Pouliot ahead of Ryan? Yeah- not by much, but I'll stand by it. Both have good size, excellent hands, elite vision, scoring touch. But Pouliot is so silky smooth on his skates- unlike Ryan- and consistent. And although he's an 86 his rise over the past season or two is amazing.

What really makes Ryan a better prospect than Pouliot IMO is the hands. Ryan has softer hands than Pouliot. He's just a stickhandling wizard out there and his shot is deadly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
monster_bertuzzi said:
Gauthier should be top 60 at least.

Why?

I don't know if he's even top-150 at this point. Scouts haven't seen him since Christmas, and before he was hurt he was by all accounts struggling badly as a bottom-pairing guy on PA. Total flop this year. There are at least a dozen WHL defenders who deserve to be rated higher.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Remember that rankings are made of players vis-a-vis other players, not based on the fact player X had a good season. In other words, Tom Fritsche might have played well but there are 60+ other players who did or showed better IMO- although as I said, the NCAA is my black hole.

Right now I'm in Slovenia at the U18 Level 2s wondering if Belarus' Sharhei Kosistsyn should be on that top 60 list or not. There's even a French and a British guy here who could be late rounders.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
steblick said:
Remember that rankings are made of players vis-a-vis other players, not based on the fact player X had a good season. In other words, Tom Fritsche might have played well but there are 60+ other players who did or showed better IMO- although as I said, the NCAA is my black hole.

Right now I'm in Slovenia at the U18 Level 2s wondering if Belarus' Sharhei Kosistsyn should be on that top 60 list or not. There's even a French and a British guy here who could be late rounders.

What are your impressions of Kostitsyn in the U18? Have you seen him play vs Kazakhstan? Also, why did the British forfeit against Belarus in the tourney's first game?

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
steblick said:
Pouliot ahead of Ryan? Yeah- not by much, but I'll stand by it. Both have good size, excellent hands, elite vision, scoring touch. But Pouliot is so silky smooth on his skates- unlike Ryan- and consistent. And although he's an 86 his rise over the past season or two is amazing.

Ryan had .44 more points per game in the season. How consistent do you want? Pouliot is a smoother skater/player..but Ryan dominates down low and is always a threat. Calling him one dimensional is absurd. He is one of the most complete and creative players in the draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
steblick said:

I appreciate your insights, but comments like the one you make here about Tom Fritsche reveals some flaws in your evaluative abilities. If you've never seem Fristche play, or only have limited viewing, how can you say 60+ other players did better? He was one of the top playmakers in the NCAA as a freshman, and was the last guy cut from the U.S. WJC team. To suggest that there are 60+ players that showed better than him is a bit far-fetched.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Tom Fritsche will most likely be a second rounder but I wouldn't be shocked to see him go lower. Remember his brother Danny, an '85, who was much more highly regarded went 46th overall to Columbus. I really like Tom's game and was disapointed when he didn't get a spot on the US WJC team but if his brother was a second rounder than he's probably a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
steblick said:
There's even a French and a British guy here who could be late rounders.

What are their names? I havent heard of a British eligible talent but I'm glad to hear there's someone out there.

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Gwyddbwyll said:
What are their names? I havent heard of a British eligible talent but I'm glad to hear there's someone out there.

There is a pretty dandy British-born and bred forward playing for the Shattuck-St. Marys U-14 (1990 DOB) national championship team, Tom Duggan. A real sniper. Pretty solid future prospect, if he continues along his current development path.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Great list. I looked at many mock drafts and Bourret will be gong from any where from 7 to 15. Matieu Aubin anywhere from 3 to 6 round. A question mark w/ injuries but could be a steal. Chad Denny great slap shot speed average aim. He has shown that he can be a defenseman and a forward. He will go 4th to 6th round.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Fozz said:
Also, why did the British forfeit against Belarus in the tourney's first game?

The British teams equipment wasn't loaded on the plane they took so it didn't arrive until the next day.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Tom Fritsche will most likely be a second rounder but I wouldn't be shocked to see him go lower. Remember his brother Danny, an '85, who was much more highly regarded went 46th overall to Columbus. I really like Tom's game and was disapointed when he didn't get a spot on the US WJC team but if his brother was a second rounder than he's probably a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Dan Fritsche would have been a sure-fire first round draft pick if not for concerns over his shoulders, so it's kind of difficult to draw the connection you're trying to make with his brother.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rabid Ranger said:
Dan Fritsche would have been a sure-fire first round draft pick if not for concerns over his shoulders, so it's kind of difficult to draw the connection you're trying to make with his brother.

Differant draft years, as well.

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
SPORTSMANIAC said:
Great list. I looked at many mock drafts and Bourret will be gong from any where from 7 to 15. Matieu Aubin anywhere from 3 to 6 round. A question mark w/ injuries but could be a steal. Chad Denny great slap shot speed average aim. He has shown that he can be a defenseman and a forward. He will go 4th to 6th round.

I easily see Bourret as a second coming of Claude Lemieux... don't you think.:dunno:

He dosn't step in front of the net as well as Pepe but is probably just as tough, I just love that kid's spirit

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
sabexx said:
I easily see Bourret as a second coming of Claude Lemieux... don't you think.:dunno:

He dosn't step in front of the net as well as Pepe but is probably just as tough, I just love that kid's spirit
To the people who know Alex Bourret, Does he have enough vision and hands to be a top 2 center in the NHL?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
John E. Ringo said:
There is a pretty dandy British-born and bred forward playing for the Shattuck-St. Marys U-14 (1990 DOB) national championship team, Tom Duggan. A real sniper. Pretty solid future prospect, if he continues along his current development path.

I have been watching out for him. Playing with a lot of top talent but holding his own.

Checking IIHF, Tom Carlon must be the draft eligible guy. Lots of potential but he never plays at a high level (only plays in the third tier in England and the top two tiers aint that great to begin with)

steblick said:

What do you think of Dustin Kohn? His stats look like those of a top 60 pick.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Various replies-
1. I didn't call Bobby Ryan "one dimensional" at all- not sure where you got that from. Quite the opposite in fact, I listed his varied skills- that's why I still have him so high on my list- but I also explained why I have Pouliot ahead- the skating.

2. Regarding Tom Fritsche- I'll admit that my NCAA guys might be the most "off" of all the players I've listed, but I know of no rating service (Young Guns, ISS, McKeens or CSB) that has him as a 2nd rounder either. On top of that I haven't heard much about him from hockey people who do follow the NCAA. But your point is well-taken- let's see...

3. Another poster explained the British baggage debacle in Maribor, and yes, Tom Carlon is the British player who looks like he could make a living out of this game at some level. France has a guy named Bennett who is a possible late-rounder too. Kostsitsyn I'm still out on- he's not the game breaker his brother was despite being Belarus' elite player this year but there are a few more games to be played here...

4. Kohn doesn't really excite me, although others speak glowingly of him. He has good puck instincts and looks poised (only 2 Calgary viewings plus Prospects' game, mind you) but I don't see what in his game can translate to the big leagues. He's not strong or physical or a rock in his zone and his offensive instincts are not at the level where you would overlook the muscle, defense etc.
But those of you who've seen him more than I may differ and I'm happy to hear your opinions.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I look forward to your lists every year steblick. Thanks. As an Oiler fan I'm looking in the 10-15 area and wondering about Bourret and Staal. Would Bourret be a somewhat similar player to Raffi Torres?

Also, I saw Staal only once and he looked like a million. What iyo would keep him out of the top 10?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
steblick said:
2. Regarding Tom Fritsche- I'll admit that my NCAA guys might be the most "off" of all the players I've listed, but I know of no rating service (Young Guns, ISS, McKeens or CSB) that has him as a 2nd rounder either. On top of that I haven't heard much about him from hockey people who do follow the NCAA. But your point is well-taken- let's see...

52 on McKeen's

steblick said:
Various replies-
1. I didn't call Bobby Ryan "one dimensional" at all- not sure where you got that from. Quite the opposite in fact, I listed his varied skills- that's why I still have him so high on my list- but I also explained why I have Pouliot ahead- the skating.

3. Another poster explained the British baggage debacle in Maribor, and yes, Tom Carlon is the British player who looks like he could make a living out of this game at some level. France has a guy named Bennett who is a possible late-rounder too. Kostsitsyn I'm still out on- he's not the game breaker his brother was despite being Belarus' elite player this year but there are a few more games to be played here...

4. Kohn doesn't really excite me, although others speak glowingly of him. He has good puck instincts and looks poised (only 2 Calgary viewings plus Prospects' game, mind you) but I don't see what in his game can translate to the big leagues. He's not strong or physical or a rock in his zone and his offensive instincts are not at the level where you would overlook the muscle, defense etc.
But those of you who've seen him more than I may differ and I'm happy to hear your opinions.

Thanks, Kohn sounds similar to Mike Green last year, perhaps not as good a skater though.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Lowetide said:
I look forward to your lists every year steblick. Thanks. As an Oiler fan I'm looking in the 10-15 area and wondering about Bourret and Staal. Would Bourret be a somewhat similar player to Raffi Torres?

Also, I saw Staal only once and he looked like a million. What iyo would keep him out of the top 10?
I prefer Borret to Torres- Bourret is more productive and his energy is better focused. But, yes, they are similar players.

Staal has yet to develop the take-charge mentality one wants to see in a top 10 pick. He's close though. Sometimes it's as if he underestimates himself, doesn't know what he's capable of.

Re: Fritsche at #52 on McKeens: my bad. Not on the others though although I'm unsure about Redline. Regardless, not a consensus 2nd rounder by any means. Wish he were at the U18s (too old, I know) or something so that I could get a better read on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad