Post-Game Talk: STAYING ALIVE Leafs Win 2-1

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
How many defensemen are signed for next season? Plus everyone wants to keep schenn. Holl ain't coming back.
I sure hope so but somehow, against all odds he keeps finding his way into the lineup so nothing surprises me with him. There’s 8 guys who deserve to be in the lineup ahead of him and yet he keeps not only playing but getting decent minutes to boot.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Seriously though, assuming we do want to keep this entire lineup together, can we even do that? This is a playoff lineup full of salaries we added with just 25% of the season left.
To answer the question....

Assuming that...

kerfoot and Holl don't return
Schenn resigns at 1M
We keep Sammy for 4M
We ditch Murray somehow
Kampf resigns at 2M
ROR resigns at 5M
Bunting resigns at 5M

We're already at 85M for 20 players, and just 11 of them are forwards. We'd be at 87M after filling in the bottom 2 spots.

So this is just not feasible unless Bunting and RoR are taking massive discounts compared to what they'd get on the open market.

We are able to fit all these players under the cap because so many of them were only counting at one quarter of their hit. This is a loaded playoff lineup, not one you can take into the start of a season.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Great win but the play of Matthews needs a big wake up call. Only guy on the ice that I can see who had vacation plans made. Everyone else was engaged and playing with some passion. Matthews had a few shots a few blocks but still scoreless in 4 games. Just unacceptable
Tkachuk has been held scoreless too. This series is a game of inches, unfortunately it took Toronto a few too many games to realize it.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
So with Nurse getting a Game misconduct for instigating a fight and getting a 1 game suspension because Hague dropped the gloves

If MARNER would of accepted Tkachuks invitation to fight by punching him in the face 3 times when the game was over... Would Tkachuk get the 1 game suspension too??

Because you can't fight at the end of the game so Marner was clearly not the aggressor and decided he had to defend himself and fight... They would be forced to give Tkachuk an Instigator... And that's an automatic suspension.

So Mitch doing the Sedin sister smile instead of atleast TRYING TO FIGHT BACK in ANYWAY.. and instead take punches to the face lost an opportunity to get Tkachuk tossed the next game.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He was better yesterday, I don't agree series long. Willie was invisible games one and two.

Anyway, I'm not here to tear down Willie, just find the whole pretending he's suddenly the best player on the team a little silly.
Odd take.

In the first two games Matty played 40:08 ES and 9:27 PP, while Willy played 34:00 ES and 3:52 PP.

Willy let the team in shots in both games, and I don't want to think about how many times he set up other players (JT in particular).

Invisible? He was our best player in both games! If he was invisible it was only because you weren't looking.

Reactions: sunstersun

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's no use bro Justin has the target tattooed on him these days. Being on for 1 goal when the rest of his game was solid rock only means he was on for the goal and must be to blame. It's now his burden to carry in LeaFland
I'm just surprised that nobody has managed to blame Nylander for that goal.
:sarcasm:

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
So with Nurse getting a Game misconduct for instigating a fight and getting a 1 game suspension because Hague dropped the gloves

If MARNER would of accepted Tkachuks invitation to fight by punching him in the face 3 times when the game was over... Would Tkachuk get the 1 game suspension too??

Because you can't fight at the end of the game so Marner was clearly not the aggressor and decided he had to defend himself and fight... They would be forced to give Tkachuk an Instigator... And that's an automatic suspension.

So Mitch doing the Sedin sister smile instead of atleast TRYING TO FIGHT BACK in ANYWAY.. and instead take punches to the face lost an opportunity to get Tkachuk tossed the next game.
get over it, man. Marner never be able to fight, he was soft, he is soft, he will be soft too. He isn't type of gritty players like Gezlaf, Bieksa, Gordie Howe. He's crying baby.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

No. Nurse skated from the circle to fight and grabbed a guy that he wasn’t involved with to start tossing right after an emotionally charged moment with a star getting brutally slashed. He’s begging for the instigator. Doesn’t get called much, but he earned it there. I don’t really like the suspension but rules is rules.

A scrum up at the end of a game from battling in front last second isn’t anything the same. That was normal stuff. All day I’ve been reading about this great injustice and it baffles me, it’s so normal I wasn’t even interested in it as it happened, like, “blah, whatever, this stuff, get it over with”.

Reactions: ACC1224

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Even the hit on Kampf, didn’t like it at the time, but rewatching it now, it’s a tiny bit late, not lots late, on a guy that had the puck. Fine with it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Even the hit on Kampf, didn’t like it at the time, but rewatching it now, it’s a tiny bit late, not lots late, on a guy that had the puck. Fine with it.

It was a delayed penalty though and as soon as Kampf touched it the play was dead. Plus it was boarding and charging. Should've atleast been a penalty.

Reactions: Al14

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It was a delayed penalty though and as soon as Kampf touched it the play was dead. Plus it was boarding and charging. Should've atleast been a penalty.
Probably should have been. Don’t know if Gouda was aware of penalty. I watched it twice wondering why the whistle before I remembered oh ya delayed penalty.

horner

May 22, 2007
Seriously though, assuming we do want to keep this entire lineup together, can we even do that? This is a playoff lineup full of salaries we added with just 25% of the season left.
Gone
Kerfoot
Murray trade or buyout
Muzzin LTIR or retire
holl

Around 15 mil in cap space

ORielly 5.5 mil
Schenn 1.5 mil
Accuri 1.3 mil
Kampf 2 mil
Lafferty 1.3 mil is already signed
Sammy 3.5 mil
Total 15 mil

If we need to we can trade Jamcrok 2.1 mil

• Love
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
To answer the question....

Assuming that...

kerfoot and Holl don't return
Schenn resigns at 1M
We keep Sammy for 4M
We ditch Murray somehow
Kampf resigns at 2M
ROR resigns at 5M
Bunting resigns at 5M

We're already at 85M for 20 players, and just 11 of them are forwards. We'd be at 87M after filling in the bottom 2 spots.

So this is just not feasible unless Bunting and RoR are taking massive discounts compared to what they'd get on the open market.

We are able to fit all these players under the cap because so many of them were only counting at one quarter of their hit. This is a loaded playoff lineup, not one you can take into the start of a season.
We better not roll back with this core next season. We clearly need forechecking in our top 6 and a top pairing shutdown defenceman. In a perfect world you ship out Tavares but that can't happen so it's got to be Marner.

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner is the softest lineup in hockey ffs

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad