Norway: Stavanger Oilers to join KHL?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I did not find thread dedicated to application of norwegian club to KHL. So here it is.

Stavanger Oilers is rumoured to join KHL accroding to russian media. The club sent a letter to Medvedev, president of league. No formal negotiations now, nothing serious, only desire of norwegian club to join KHL.

It is unkowns if the current Stavanger Oilers to join or new club.

What is your opinion? Is it real?

I would thank to everybody if to put links of interviews about this topic here.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I did not find thread dedicated to application of norwegian club to KHL. So here it is.

Stavanger Oilers is rumoured to join KHL accroding to russian media. The club sent a letter to Medvedev, president of league. No formal negotiations now, nothing serious, only desire of norwegian club to join KHL.

It is unkowns if the current Stavanger Oilers to join or new club.

What is your opinion? Is it real?

I would thank to everybody if to put links of interviews about this topic here.

I found these norwegian articles from the 17'th and 16'th of March:
http://hockeynytt.no/h/petter-thoresen-om-khl-ryktene-vi-ma-torre-a-se-annerledes-pa-ting/
and
http://hockeynytt.no/h/stavanger-oilers-inn-i-khl/

Russian source:
http://izvestia.ru/news/546760

It says in the norwegian articles that KHL vice-president Vladimir Sjalaev have talked with Stavanger Oliers and the diskussion is serious. But he will not confirm if Stavanger has applied for a spot in the KHL.
The director of Stavanger Oilers PÃ¥l Haukali Higson says there basically that it's all rumours, but is happy norwegian hockey is noticed by the KHL?!

I think this is a feeler from one or both sides.....then it's about getting sponsor money to make it possible! But it smells like a long-term idea and definitely not 2013/14! Maybe Stavanger wants to keep it quiet until it's certain and KHL want it published for publicity reasons?!

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I found these norwegian articles:
http://hockeynytt.no/h/petter-thoresen-om-khl-ryktene-vi-ma-torre-a-se-annerledes-pa-ting/
and
http://hockeynytt.no/h/stavanger-oilers-inn-i-khl/

Russian source:
http://izvestia.ru/news/546760

It says in the norwegian articles that KHL vice-president Vladimir Sjalaev have talked with Stavanger Oliers and the diskussion is serious. But he will not confirm if Stavanger has applied for a spot in the KHL.
The director of Stavanger Oilers PÃ¥l Haukali Higson says there basically that it's all rumours, but is happy norwegian hockey is noticed by the KHL?!

I think this is a feeler from one or both sides.....then it's about getting sponsor money to make it possible! But it smells like a long-term idea and definitely not 2013/14! Maybe Stavanger wants to keep it quiet until it's certain and KHL want it published for publicity reasons?!

Yeah,it looks like they don`t want to rush things and why should they? They are clearly not ready yet to join.I`m most worried about the arena and their budget which is quite small tbh.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah,it looks like they don`t want to rush things and why should they? They are clearly not ready yet to join.I`m most worried about the arena and their budget which is quite small tbh.

Exactly....they need to really lure some guy or company in with big money. In the business world that generally means total secrecy.
So the "Stavanger" denial might actually be seen as seriousness. KHL on the other hand wants to make the world know that they are in progression all over Europe.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Exactly....they need to really lure some guy or company in with big money. In the business world that generally means total secrecy.
So the "Stavanger" denial might actually be seen as seriousness. KHL on the other hand wants to make the world know that they are in progression all over Europe.

Well theres also Zagreb and Gdansk to join both with great cities and 10k+ arenas and with hockey interest in croatia growing i personally thinks its a good idea as for poland-i`m not really sure although the arena is good.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
But it smells like a long-term idea and definitely not 2013/14!

This. I think that KHL´s goals is to get club from Norway, Croatia, and maybe Germany, Italy, Poland, Austria, Finland, Denmark. Not more. I dont know if this happen but I see it as long-term plan. Plan how to isolate Swedes and Switzerland. I talk about next 10-20 yrs you to know, maybe more.

Budget - I dont see it as problem in long-term. If needed, club will be sold to someone with money. The same is fate of Slovan.

Arena Gdansk - arena is good if they play at Ergo Arena. Second option is Hala Olivia for cca 5000 but will be upgraded.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well theres also Zagreb and Gdansk to join both with great cities and 10k+ arenas and with hockey interest in croatia growing i personally thinks its a good idea as for poland-i`m not really sure although the arena is good.

The problem for these countries (Croatia/Poland) are that they have to fill their team almost exclusively with foreign players.
Norway can perhaps lure in their KHL stars and fill a whole team with norwegians from SEL and Allsvenskan and only have a few picked foreigners if they choose so.
They could basically have their NT-team playing in KHL...as Dinamo Riga once did before big money lured them away.

That is why Stavanger Oilers need big (oil?!) money to get Zucarello and Thoresen because they will draw in the crowds!

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That is why Stavanger Oilers need big (oil?!) money to get Zucarello and Thoresen because they will draw in the crowds!
I dont think it could happen soon (if Stavanger joins), to lure these guys.
About sponsor - is not Statoil located in Stavanger?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
The problem for these countries (Croatia/Poland) are that they have to fill their team almost exclusively with foreign players.
Norway can perhaps lure in their KHL stars and fill a whole team with norwegians from SEL and Allsvenskan and only have a few picked foreigners if they choose so.
They could basically have their NT-team playing in KHL...as Dinamo Riga once did before big money lured them away.

1) yes thats true,but you have to understand that these teams will help indirectly-they will increase the popularity of the sport in the respective country (norway,croatia,poland etc.) just like the process is slowly happening in Donetsk.
2) yes,i could imagine them getting Zucarello,but Thoresen? Idk,i think the retched SKA offers him way too much money.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I dont think it could happen soon (if Stavanger joins), to lure these guys.
About sponsor - is not Statoil located in Stavanger?

Exactly - after the merger of Statoil and Norsk Hydro Stavanger is the norwegian oil capital! So it's up to them whether it happens or not. If they sponsor the club all-in they can compete for players with other KHL clubs.

The company earns around 100 billion dollars each year. Worlds 13'th largest oil company and biggest company in the nordic region by revenue and profit. So they can if they want!

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
1) yes thats true,but you have to understand that these teams will help indirectly-they will increase the popularity of the sport in the respective country (norway,croatia,poland etc.) just like the process is slowly happening in Donetsk.
2) yes,i could imagine them getting Zucarello,but Thoresen? Idk,i think the retched SKA offers him way too much money.

I think that Stavanger need to top norwegian stars on the team to bring in the crowds. But maybe Thoresen will play for Stavanger if he sees that everything else is in place?! (even if going somewhat down in salary?!)

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I think that Stavanger need to top norwegian stars on the team to bring in the crowds. But maybe Thoresen will play for Stavanger if he sees that everything else is in place?! (even if going somewhat down in salary?!)

Well home factor could play a role,yes.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
For Statoil to get involved I'd imagine they'd want something in return. Is hockey good business in Norway and/or Russia? Or would the publicity be attractive enough to lure Statoil into doing this? Perhaps a network-thing towards Russia could be something... Any Norwegians care to venture a guess? :) Would be an interesting case for Danish team to watch.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
For Statoil to get involved I'd imagine they'd want something in return. Is hockey good business in Norway and/or Russia? Or would the publicity be attractive enough to lure Statoil into doing this? Perhaps a network-thing towards Russia could be something... Any Norwegians care to venture a guess? :) Would be an interesting case for Danish team to watch.

Im pretty sure Statoil would want its name everywhere if they go into the project! :laugh:

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Oilers GM PÃ¥l Higson told Norwegian media that it was only being discussed at this time, and that nothing serious was done yet.

Players like Zuccarello and Thoresen have told media in Norway that playing in Stavanger if they entered KHL would be very interesting. (Thoresens father is Oilers' coach)

They were also very aware of the fact that their salary would go down some..

Statoil on the other hand is owned by the state of Norway and none of their money would go anywhere if our paralment doesnt aprove. And since we are not Oslo, im guessing no...

On the other hand we have all the big Oil companies in the world lying here.. It doesnt have to be Norwegian to give us money ! :yo:

Im just hoping that this comes true..

Possible Line-up of Norwegians:

Haugen
Volden

Tollefsen
Holøs
Mats Trygg
Bonsaksen

Thoresen
Zuccarello
M.Olimb
K.Olimb
Skrøder
Holtet
Bastiansen

And so on...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Oilers GM PÃ¥l Higson told Norwegian media that it was only being discussed at this time, and that nothing serious was done yet.

Players like Zuccarello and Thoresen have told media in Norway that playing in Stavanger if they entered KHL would be very interesting. (Thoresens father is Oilers' coach)

They were also very aware of the fact that their salary would go down some..

Statoil on the other hand is owned by the state of Norway and none of their money would go anywhere if our paralment doesnt aprove. And since we are not Oslo, im guessing no...

On the other hand we have all the big Oil companies in the world lying here.. It doesnt have to be Norwegian to give us money ! :yo:

Im just hoping that this comes true..

Possible Line-up of Norwegians:

Haugen
Volden

Tollefsen
Holøs
Mats Trygg
Bonsaksen

Thoresen
Zuccarello
M.Olimb
K.Olimb
Skrøder
Holtet
Bastiansen

And so on...

I could think that since Stavanger Oilers would basically be the norwegian NT team, that is could be a "national boost" for Parlament and Statoil to consider? But well maybe other oil companies might be interested?
The team doesn't need a lot of foreigners - only two extra d-men is needed (outside the 4 norwegian d-men you mention there is a big leap to the next). Both goalies and more or less all forwards could be filled by norwegians.
Skrøder-Thoresen-Zuccarello would be the obvious 1'st forward line.

ficohok*

I know it is distant future, but in case if Stavanger and Medvescak joins KHL, what do you think, how division would look like ? I assume some of Western Conference teams would switch for East, right ?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I could think that since Stavanger Oilers would basically be the norwegian NT team, that is could be a "national boost" for Parlament and Statoil to consider? But well maybe other oil companies might be interested?
The team doesn't need a lot of foreigners - only two extra d-men is needed (outside the 4 norwegian d-men you mention there is a big leap to the next). Both goalies and more or less all forwards could be filled by norwegians.
Skrøder-Thoresen-Zuccarello would be the obvious 1'st forward line.

I think we,Dinamo Riga ,could make a great rivalry with stavenger (if we assume they are in western conference) :naughty:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I know it is distant future, but in case if Stavanger and Medvescak joins KHL, what do you think, how division would look like ? I assume some of Western Conference teams would switch for East, right ?

If more and more western/central european teams joins the KHL - the "split" between west and east conference will move more and more west.
So it will be a lot of politics of which teams move where.

Unless they make a western, central and eastern conference which could also be a possibility?!

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Love this KHL Expansion. Would love to see Stavanger in KHL with Medvescak and Gdansk, Milan little bit. Stavanger can build great team on national players like Zuccarelo, Thoresen, Holos or Haugen. Medvescak will play with some grit, will be like little Vityaz with some canadian/croatian players. Gdansk will play with 15 poland players and i hope, there will play guys like McGrath, Wolski or Kolanos.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Oilers just their 3rd Norwegian cup!

Vikingstad and Kaunismäki retires. Strandfelt is most likely going home..

What a great! Season...

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Signed Erik Boisvert and Daniel Rokseth yesterday.

Boisvert is much likely to fit a 3rd/4th line role, while Rokseth is a talented defender with great upside for a Norwegian. Hopefully he will develop into a regular 1st or 2nd pairing guy who can put up some points on the board.

robwangjing

Jul 10, 2013
Beijing
Stavanger Oilers really has a great team this year, most likely one of, if not the best team ever to play in Norway. I feel very certain that they will win The Double this season.

Would have liked to see Alexander Bonsaksen and Ken Andre Olimb on their team also.

Next year as I have understood they will join the European Trophy and will strengthen their roster even more. Most likely means some better Norwegian players and some more AHL-profiles.

This about KHL is new to me. Maybe if ET goes well they might be up for some serious consideration to join.

Also, don't they have the same structure of Arena as Växjö Lakers? Then they could easily lift the roof and add more seats. Probably 500-1 000 extra or so.

Could add that they expect to reach 3 000 in sold season tickets this season, the current figure was not published but was told to be close to it already. And compared to Swedish teams this is a really good figure. Most classic Swedish teams like Brynäs or AIK reach about 2 000 or so. Just a few clubs has more than 3 000.

They have played four games so far in this pre-season(in which they will only play against foreign opponents). In their first game they lost to Färjestad(SHL) 3-9 and in their second game they won against Olimpija Ljubljana(EBEL) with 6-0, and also won their other two games in the Rudi Huti cup with a total goal-difference with 17-3 against Briancon(Ligue Mangnus) and Jesenice(INL).

Next up for them is Festyv Hockey cup in Switzerland. Their opponents will be tougher, with teams such as Traktor(KHL), Genève-Servette and Lausanne(NLA), München(DEL) and Banska Bystricá(Extraliga).

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
There are talks about getting a Norwegian team in the KHL. But, most likely it's location would be in Oslo. Though, there are no real stadium there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad