Stats for Minor Hockey

Dec 3, 2012
Hello everyone,

I coach a major Midget level team this year. I'm an avid fan of hockey analysis, so I want to use my knowledge to learn about my players and their performance furthermore.

So I'm looking for a stats that would be easy to use. I want to calculate the puck possession, preferably.
The only available numbers are Goals, Assists, Pts, PIM, Faceoffs, body checks, Plus / minus and shot blocked. I could also count one by myself if necessary.

I had thought about the Corsi%, but it'd be pretty hard to notice who's on the ice while every is taken and being behind the bench at the same time.

So what do you propose?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Teams shot for and shots against.

If possible, lines shots for and shots against.

Tracking zone starts could be easy to do too and combined with some basic shot stats could be good.

If tracking shots is too hard you could try zone starts and stop watch a lines time in the offensive and defensive zones.

Is it a competitive team? From my psst experience, even at the midget level it can be very hard for a lot of players to maintain possession and actually produce offence or move the puck around in the offensive zone. It always seemed like a more north-south game with very little sustained pressure that wasn't just a shot on net, chase the puck, and shoot again.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
My high school league doesn't even track stats. They do scoresheets but don't ever post them. I keep track of every team stat. It's hard enough doing that. I don't think that it's realistic to track possession stats at all.

Dec 3, 2012
Teams shot for and shots against.

If possible, lines shots for and shots against.

Tracking zone starts could be easy to do too and combined with some basic shot stats could be good.

If tracking shots is too hard you could try zone starts and stop watch a lines time in the offensive and defensive zones.

Is it a competitive team? From my psst experience, even at the midget level it can be very hard for a lot of players to maintain possession and actually produce offence or move the puck around in the offensive zone. It always seemed like a more north-south game with very little sustained pressure that wasn't just a shot on net, chase the puck, and shoot again.

Allright thank you man ! I'll try to find something that can easily combine zone starts an shot stats.

And it's a major midget level team. In Qc it's called Juvenile D1. Players are 15 and 16 and some of them may get drafted into the QMJHL next year, so there are some very talented players who can control the puck pretty well.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Save Time

Allright thank you man ! I'll try to find something that can easily combine zone starts an shot stats.

And it's a major midget level team. In Qc it's called Juvenile D1. Players are 15 and 16 and some of them may get drafted into the QMJHL next year, so there are some very talented players who can control the puck pretty well.

Save time. Model your efforts on the Quebec Midget AAA stats package and individual team packages that have been in place and developed since day 1.

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Further

You are part of the Hockey Quebec high school program:

http://rseq.ca/sports/hockey/ligues-provinciales/division-1/juvenile/

which includes a fair number of the Midget AAA schools and affiliations.

Fair number of the schools have students charting, gathering, compiling the stats in return for a letter of reference for further studies, job applications,etc.

Very simple to teach them how to chart zone starts, provenance of shots etc.

Dec 3, 2012
You are part of the Hockey Quebec high school program:

http://rseq.ca/sports/hockey/ligues-provinciales/division-1/juvenile/

which includes a fair number of the Midget AAA schools and affiliations.

Fair number of the schools have students charting, gathering, compiling the stats in return for a letter of reference for further studies, job applications,etc.

Very simple to teach them how to chart zone starts, provenance of shots etc.

Nice ! I didn't know that. I'll look a this.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Hello everyone,

I coach a major Midget level team this year. I'm an avid fan of hockey analysis, so I want to use my knowledge to learn about my players and their performance furthermore.

So I'm looking for a stats that would be easy to use. I want to calculate the puck possession, preferably.
The only available numbers are Goals, Assists, Pts, PIM, Faceoffs, body checks, Plus / minus and shot blocked. I could also count one by myself if necessary.

I had thought about the Corsi%, but it'd be pretty hard to notice who's on the ice while every is taken and being behind the bench at the same time.

So what do you propose?

I coach Bantam AAA in the LEQ, what we did last year was: Faceoffs, Shots for, Shots against, obviously we had Goals, assists and points, if you film your games, (we filmed some) theres actually an app that can track your players, i just can't remember the app name.

RSEQ is 16-17, year olds on average no ?

Dec 3, 2012
I coach Bantam AAA in the LEQ, what we did last year was: Faceoffs, Shots for, Shots against, obviously we had Goals, assists and points, if you film your games, (we filmed some) theres actually an app that can track your players, i just can't remember the app name.

RSEQ is 16-17, year olds on average no ?

Yeah I think I now the app you're talking about.

And, I don't talk about Collégial AAA, but Juvénile. Players are in High school. 14 to 17 years old.

iTrackHockey

Jun 23, 2018
Look at our App called iTrackHockey (App store) or iTrackHockey.com
We developed it secifically for minor hockey stats collection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad