Olympics: State of USA Hockey after another disappointing Olympics (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
they can still medal.
absolutely dominated, untill they met a team that could match depth....and then it looked kind of stupid not having a couple of the NHL leading scorers on the roster.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Probably should, yes.

But really, Parise was the single most disappointing player on the roster, even worse than Orpik.

...and to think that schlub wore the C and has $98 million guaranteed. Youre welcome, Minnesota.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I honestly don't know. There are a few obvious glaring omissions on this roster. Maybe they've learned their lesson not to give a guy a spot over someone better just because his coach likes him.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Uh, why?

Their talent pool still pales in comparison to Canada, yet they're close every year. How many players on the US team would even make Team Canada? Suter and Kessel. Maybe Backes.

They've done fine, winning bronze would be a solid result for them.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Definitely. America has a ton of talent, but the management and coaching is lacking. Canada has the US completely outclassed in those depts.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
I think the team the USA iced was dominant during this tournament (up until today, obviously). I'd be happy with their choices if I was American.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
One or two different players weren't going to change the result there. It's not like the US left off a generational player. Most of our best forwards got outplayed by Canada's D and a very talented Carey Price. Maybe I'll feel differently after the bronze game, but give credit where it's due. We lost to one of the best teams in the world.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Orpik shouldn't have even been allowed to watch this game let alone be on the team and play in it, shoulda had Yandle.....we had no threat from the backend whatsoever and only 1 pairing that could effectively move the puck out of the zone and up ice. Mcdonagh is a God the Rangers are so lucky too have him. Quick was in 2012 cup run form as expected.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't see how this result is any great indictment of the process for USA. They have had a good tournament and played it pretty close to another powerhouse team in a single elimination game? :dunno: Not sure what more was really expected?

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
Uh, why?

Their talent pool still pales in comparison to Canada, yet they're close every year. How many players on the US team would even make Team Canada? Suter and Kessel. Maybe Backes.

Kane, Quick, Miller, McDonagh

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Why? I don't think team USA did a bad job of assembling a team. Canada is just a way more talented squad. I don't think there's shame in losing 1-0 to Canada. Obviously in every tournament there are going to be some bad selections, but in general team USA has played very well in this tournament.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Yes...but I'm not sure who would do better. The failure was on assembling good D really.

agreed, they could have done a better job, Yandle and EJohnson should have been on the roster. Carlson and McDonaugh were real treats to watch, nice to be able to see what NYR and Caps fans are always raving about....everyone else was really lackluster, including Suter alot of times.

Also can't win on 1 line, as good as it was. Having even one of Bobby Ryan or Okposo goes a long way, they just needed 3 scoring lines, Backes was so close to going on beast mode but he could have used a bit more skill around him.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Probably should, yes.

But really, Parise was the single most disappointing player on the roster, even worse than Orpik.

...and to think that schlub wore the C and has $98 million guaranteed. Youre welcome, Minnesota.
How he and Kesler (hand) got more minutes than Kessel, i'll never know.
Yes...but I'm not sure who would do better. The failure was on assembling good D really.
Yandle missing, Orpik sucks, work Faulk in sooner and stop riding MCD and Suter so ****ing hard all tourney.
Also, Orpik was really the only blatantly terrible choice. The rest of the roster was fine. I'd keep Burke and ditch Byslma.
Okposo for Callahan, Ryan for Wheeler, there are a few more...
Could have used Yandle on the PP that's for sure !!
Or just in general.
I think the team the USA iced was dominant during this tournament (up until today, obviously). I'd be happy with their choices if I was American.
I never really saw them as dominant. I think they played very well for long stretches, but never dominant.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I don't see how this result is any great indictment of the process for USA. They have had a good tournament and played it pretty close to another powerhouse team in a single elimination game? :dunno: Not sure what more was really expected?

No kidding. I thought this was some kind of joke thread. Canada played an absolutely suffocating defensive game and were terrors in their cycle game and transition game - incredibly hard to play against. And the US lost by ONE GOAL. And some are questioning the group that put this team together?

wow.

Marr

Feb 18, 2014
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Uh, why?

Coming from a Leafs fan, Kessel would never have made it. He's too one-dimensional and Canada's defense would have weakened.

Margaret Trudeau*

USA fans should be very happy their team only lost by one goal today. That's a major achievement v.s. Canada. Hey, it's our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad