State of the Teams OHL version

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Here's a quick look at Ottawa's potential roster for this coming season. In my opinion, despite what happened that year, I believe this years 67s team will suprise a lot of people and may even contend for home ice advantage when all is said and done.

Gustavsen,lw,,Monahan,c,,Blandisi,rw
VanStralen,lw,,Konecny,c,,Salituro,rw
Abou-Assaly,lw,,Petaccio,c,,Fielding,rw
Graham,lw,,Dulong,c,,Urbanic,rw ex S.Studicka,rw

I dont see either 94s Bell or Walsh really fitting into ottawa's plans for next season if they truly want to develop some of thier younger forwards. So I could see both players traded away for picks if theres a market for them.

Def
Middelton,,Vlajkov
Guy,,Duschene
Davis,,Desautels ex S.Henley

Windsor
Blair
Potter

When you look at our overall forward depth (assuming Monahan returns) we could have up to at least 6 guys potentially putting up a point-per-game or better. So scoring wont be an issue. Obvously much like last year the biggest area of concern will be the defense, but hopefully with everyone being a full year older, a few of the rookie D from last year can step into much larger roles this year and contribute right off the bat.

The biggest wild card for me is what the 67s plan on doing with the second overall import pick. Ive seen multiple rumors the last couple of months suggesting the 67s were leaning towards taking a young swedish goaltender with that pick. But for me personally, I would prefer they take an elite level forward to compliment the likes of Salituro and Konecny moving forward into this year and next.

Im obviously not a 67's fan but I think that that defense is scary young and that with that D... And not upgrading in goal will be risky.

I also think you only have 2 point per game forwards in Blandisi and Monahan.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
OSA Thank you so much for the "Attack". I wasnt sure if both imports would be returning, having expected stronger numbers.
Nastasiuk gets glowing reviews from just about everything I have read, he must be a exciting kid to watch!

cato0009 Great work with the 67`s. As a fan of Euros, I am most intrigued to see what they do with the Import Pick.
Not a great amount of info on who exactly is coming over, but there are some potential big name/home run guys: Andre Burakovsky/Pavel Buchnevich.....

Looking forward to see how Konecny fares? Would it be reasonable to expect McDavid type numbers in year 1?

Johnsb

May 20, 2010
cato, I'm with PetesFan on this one. Don't see the 6 guys with a ppg on your line-up.

This team is in need of a top 2 d-man first. Not sure I would be giving up Bell that could bring 15-20 g this year for some of your line-up without giving names.

67's will be a play-off team this year.

OHLFan8771

Dec 6, 2011
Is there a word that Harper will be traded?

No official word but it seems it has a good chance of happening. Harper really struggled this year and many believe it was due to his commitment level. Bassin said that he intends to "weed out" some of the players that are not going in with all their effort. It is speculation at this point but a realistic thought.

cato0009

Sep 12, 2011
cato, I'm with PetesFan on this one. Don't see the 6 guys with a ppg on your line-up.

This team is in need of a top 2 d-man first. Not sure I would be giving up Bell that could bring 15-20 g this year for some of your line-up without giving names.

67's will be a play-off team this year.
Well Im not going garauntee to anything, but I do believe we could have at least 5 (possibly 6 depending on the import draft) guys on the roster who could potentially be ppg players next year, Van Stralen being the unlikely 6th. If you look at it this way, Monahan and Blandisi are obvously locks for ppg, Gustavsen put up 0.76ppg over the course of 46 games, and depending on who he plays with its realistic to think he could improve on those numbers.
Now Salituro, he managed to put up 40pts as an undersized, late 96 born rookie on the worst team in the OHL. He's going to end up being a potential first round pick in the 2015 NHL draft and I wouldnt at all be suprised if he was to lead the team in scoring this if Monahan misses a significant amount due to the NHL, World juniors or injuries.
Like I said before, Van Stralen is prob the least likely to hit a ppg, but over the last 2seasons he's shown much improvement in his game so chances are he'll eclipse the 39pts he scored last year. I suppose realistically he wont make it but you never know.
Last, but not least is Konecny. If the he's as good as the 67s staff thinks he is...putting up at least 60 pts in his rookie season shoudnt be out of the question. I think the coaching staff will give him a chance to play big minutes right from the get go.

I may be being somewhat unrealistic, but regardless of whether are not any of the players reach my expectations for the them, I still dont think the 67s will have any problems scoring goals this season

Last edited:

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Well Im not going garauntee to anything, but I do believe we could have at least 5 (possibly 6 depending on the import draft) guys on the roster who could potentially be ppg players next year, Van Stralen being the unlikely 6th. If you look at it this way, Monahan and Blandisi are obvously locks for ppg, Gustavsen put up 0.76ppg over the course of 46 games, and depending on who he plays with its realistic to think he could improve on those numbers.
Now Salituro, he managed to put up 40pts as an undersized, late 96 born rookie on the worst team in the OHL. He's going to end up being a potential first round pick in the 2015 NHL draft and I wouldnt at all be suprised if he was to lead the team in scoring this if Monahan misses a significant amount due to the NHL, World juniors or injuries.
Like I said before, Van Stralen is prob the least likely to hit a ppg, but over the last 2seasons he's shown much improvement in his game so chances are he'll eclipse the 39pts he scored last year. I suppose realistically he wont make it but you never know.
Last, but not least is Konecny. If the he's as good as the 67s staff thinks he is...putting up at least 60 pts in his rookie season shoudnt be out of the question. I think the coaching staff will give him a chance to play big minutes right from the get go.

I may be being somewhat unrealistic, but regardless of whether are not any of the players reach my expectations for the them, I still dont think the 67s will have any problems scoring goals this season

As things stand right now, the problem will be keeping the puck out of the net.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I'll give a go at the Storm.

Jason Dickinson - Hunter Garlent - Scott Kosmachuk
Brock McGinn - Robby Fabbri - Zach Mitchell (OA)
Tyler Bertuzzi - Ryan Horvat (OA) - Justin Auger
Milne - Stevens - Craievich (Rookie)

Other Possible names: Oliver Chabot, Quinn Diamond (Both from the '11 draft). Tyler Boston, Scott Villenueve ('12 draft)

Matt Finn - Zac Leslie
Ben Harpur - Kyle Locke
Garrett McFadden - Chadd Bauman

Other possible names: CJ Bollers ('11). Noah Carroll, Kyle Rhodes ('12)

Michael Nishi (OA)
Matt Mancina

Other possible names: Jason Da Silva.

The Storm also have picks #26 and #38 in the import draft, I believe they will be used on a starting goalie as well as a defenseman. If a goaltender is acquired then Nishi will be released and an OA spot would be open, presumably for another defenseman. I have no problems with the forwards, they will be just fine. Although Brody Milne was recently arrested which could make for some interesting decisions from the front office. If an import/OA D comes in, Bauman could be used as a wing on the 4th line (He played there towards the end of the season) and would add some size and toughness. Overall it most definitely seems like a "Go for it" year in Guelph.

2013 Draft Eligibles:

Jason Dickinson
Hunter Garlent
Ben Harpur
Tyler Bertuzzi
Brody Milne
Chadd Bauman

Overall I see the first 4 being drafted, the other two likely don't stand a chance. Also, watch out for 2nd year eligible Zac Leslie and Justin Auger, both have solid chances of having there name called on draft day.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
I'll give a go at the Storm.

Jason Dickinson - Hunter Garlent - Scott Kosmachuk
Brock McGinn - Robby Fabbri - Zach Mitchell (OA)
Tyler Bertuzzi - Ryan Horvat (OA) - Justin Auger
Milne - Stevens - Craievich (Rookie)

Other Possible names: Oliver Chabot, Quinn Diamond (Both from the '11 draft). Tyler Boston, Scott Villenueve ('12 draft)

Matt Finn - Zac Leslie
Ben Harpur - Kyle Locke
Garrett McFadden - Chadd Bauman

Other possible names: CJ Bollers ('11). Noah Carroll, Kyle Rhodes ('12)

Michael Nishi (OA)
Matt Mancina

Other possible names: Jason Da Silva.

The Storm also have picks #26 and #38 in the import draft, I believe they will be used on a starting goalie as well as a defenseman. If a goaltender is acquired then Nishi will be released and an OA spot would be open, presumably for another defenseman. I have no problems with the forwards, they will be just fine. Although Brody Milne was recently arrested which could make for some interesting decisions from the front office. If an import/OA D comes in, Bauman could be used as a wing on the 4th line (He played there towards the end of the season) and would add some size and toughness. Overall it most definitely seems like a "Go for it" year in Guelph.

2013 Draft Eligibles:

Jason Dickinson
Hunter Garlent
Ben Harpur
Tyler Bertuzzi
Brody Milne
Chadd Bauman

Overall I see the first 4 being drafted, the other two likely don't stand a chance. Also, watch out for 2nd year eligible Zac Leslie and Justin Auger, both have solid chances of having there name called on draft day.

I was told recently Bollers has quit hockey.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I was told recently Bollers has quit hockey.

If true, not good. Guelph only took 4 dmen in the 2012 draft, Kyle Locke, Boller, Eric Luzar, Max Balison. Two have quit hockey, Balison was a late pick. Locke has potential but he didn't really look all that comfortable last season.

Crottenham

Jul 14, 2011
If true, not good. Guelph only took 4 dmen in the 2012 draft, Kyle Locke, Boller, Eric Luzar, Max Balison. Two have quit hockey, Balison was a late pick. Locke has potential but he didn't really look all that comfortable last season.

Balison will be playing in the GOJHL with the Ancaster Avalanche (formerly the Stoney Creek Warriors) assuming he does not make the Storm.

I was told of Boller's decision to quit the game by a teammate of his from last year's North York Midgets. Boller's has had shoulder isues in Minior and Major Midget, perhaps that contributed to the decision?

In any event, you're right about it not being good.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
I'd definitely like to argue on Brace returning for Owen Sound. The Attack have been lead in scoring by Hishon, Halmo, and Catenacci the last three seasons, the first known to be chippy and was suspended once, and the other two were both benched for undisciplined play. It happens. There's absolutely no way Brace is traded away unless a contending team offers a premium youngster for him. Overagers building on 70 point seasons don't come around every day.

Although I agree that DeGrey needs to address the defence, the need for a defenseman, particularly a puck mover, can be addressed by slotting Kyle Hope back on the point.

Also, our assistant GM is on the record suggesting Thomas Schemitsch is OHL ready and I expect him to hold down a spot in the Top 6 this season.

Assuming no changes with the imports, the roster as currently constructed could look something like this:

Brace Smith Nastasiuk
Gavrus Szypula/Milne Maidens
Milne/Szypula Cook Lindo
Gabor Heeps/Murphy (if he signs) Pezzetta

Extras: Sansom, Brookshaw if he signs

Bigras Rose
MacDermid K.Hope
Annechiarico Schemitsch
MacArthur

B. Hope
Taylor

Obviously this team lacks the size to really stack up to the top teams in the West, but assuming Maidens is back to playing, that's two quality scoring lines with Milne a legit top 6 option if Szypula isn't ready for the role. The team has an amazing group of 94's in terms of quality, so the season could go really well or really poorly. If it's the latter, or the Attack are mired in 6-8 in the Conference, a lot of these guys will return terrific assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad