Stastny vs. Lehterä

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Recent Lehterä's surgery might give some edge to Stastny when season starts. If look a little bit futher when both are healthy which one would get your love Stastny or Lehterä? I want also to hear which one would favour Blues perspective when he would play with Tarasenko?

Feel free to tell your opinion.

Mod's can you guys add Berglund on this poll. If that doesn't work delete this thread/poll and I create new one where is also Berglund. Thank you

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Lehterä does have a knack for finding Vladi, and they do have chemisty. So he's my choice.

Although I'll say Stastny could probably finish Tarasenko's dishes better. Although Lehterä did start to alter his shot towards the end of the season.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Stastny is more proven at this point but there really is no need to rank them....just alternate them with different combos on the top two lines to see what works best.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Whoever plays better with him. I think it's that simple.

I don't think just picking one makes much sense. If Lehtera and Tarasenko have the most chemistry, then so be it. I'd LIKE for Stastny to gain chemistry with Vlad, but really I just want Stastny to play with good wingers. If that's any of Steen, Schwartz, Backes or Jaskin, then that's good enough for me. It doesn't necessarily have to be Tarasenko for him to have a bigger role.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Stastny is more proven at this point but there really is no need to rank them....just alternate them with different combos on the top two lines to see what works best.

I don't disagree, but I also don't want to be alternating combos all year again... especially on an unstable team like the blues... especially going into the playoffs...

Stastny and Tarasenko shouldn't be on the same line from what I've seen. i think we have better options.

Blues 2016: Whatever works:yo:

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013

I don't think just picking one makes much sense. If Lehtera and Tarasenko have the most chemistry, then so be it. I'd LIKE for Stastny to gain chemistry with Vlad, but really I just want Stastny to play with good wingers. If that's any of Steen, Schwartz, Backes or Jaskin, then that's good enough for me. It doesn't necessarily have to be Tarasenko for him to have a bigger role.

Are we coaches talking to the media? or are we posting on HF here c'monnn

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

My feelings as well

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
why was Berglund not a poll option?

I would have voted for him. I assume it is because he'll be in suit next season, behind the bench, coaching the team:popcorn:

But, no, I think Stastny and Berglund could stay together. I don't expect it to be a popular option, but with a winger who can shoot (a la Schwartz), why not? Forgive my foreign language butchering

Schwartz-Stastny-Berglund
Jaskin-Backes-Brouwer
Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko

Flip flop them however you want it, that looks good to me

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
For me, there is no doubt that it should be Stastny.

We know what Tarasenko can do with Lehterä. We seen last season that they clicked right back despite not playing together for over 2 years; they'll be able to find that chemistry if we put them back together mid-season. What we need more roster flexibility. We need Stastny and Tarasenko to have a better level of compatibility, we need Lehterä to be effective when he isn't paired with Tarasenko.

I'd still expect we'd end up going back to Lehterä-Tarasenko during the season. I expect Lehterä to be an effective top-6 centre with other wingers, and Stastny-Tarasenko to find some chemistry, but ultimately I think Lehterä-Tarasenko will prove the most effective pairing.

Mod's can you guys add Berglund on this poll. If that doesn't work delete this thread/poll and I create new one where is also Berglund. Thank you

Doing that is only going to detract from the discussion, no sane Blues fan wants Berglund to centre Tarasenko.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I went with Stastny, but I wouldn't be upset if they ended up with Lethera-Tarasenko again. I'm a fan of putting your best center with your best scoring winger so that's why I went with Stastny. I just want to see them be given a chance to play more than a period together.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
At least for the first half of the year it must be Stastny. There's no guarantee that Lehtera will last the whole year conditioning wise, and we need to have Stastny and Tarasenko able to play off each other should that be the case.

BluesTraveller

Mar 5, 2012
St Louis
I went with Stastny as well for many of the reasons already stated.

That being said, not sure Lehtera could pass muster as a 2nd or 3rd line center without Tarasenko being on his wing. Matching him up with say Berglund and Jaskin seems pretty bad on paper.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
Don't see this being even close! Stastny even with his bad season getting stuck on the 3rd line is an established NHL center that can play several different roles. Lehtera is a complete unproven NHL player!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
In a vacuum, I'd prefer Stastny to center Tarasenko for a long stretch. But in the context of the full roster, maybe its better to make a top 6 where Stastny centers Fabbri or another RW player (I have a hard time seeing Jaskin in that spot).

Where does Backes fit. RW? 3C?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
In a vacuum, I'd prefer Stastny to center Tarasenko for a long stretch. But in the context of the full roster, maybe its better to make a top 6 where Stastny centers Fabbri or another RW player (I have a hard time seeing Jaskin in that spot).

Where does Backes fit. RW? 3C?

I think the most realistic look to expect from Hitch is Stastny with Schwartz and Fabbri (if he makes it)/Jaskin and Lehtera centering Tarasenko and Steen.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Then Berglund-Backes-Brouwer/Jaskin?

Several people will have conniptions if Brouwer winds up on the 4th line.
That's how I would see it. There are worse things in the world than Brouwer on the fourth line. A lot worse. I just think that lineup could be a nice balance of two scoring lines with a legitimately used shutdown line.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Stastny's greatest offensive strength is his vision and playmaking ability. He doesn't have a particularly lethal shot but he's very good at finding passing lanes. To fully exploit Stastny's strengths, we need at least one winger with him who has good hands and won't muff good cross-ice or "into the crease" scoring chances.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Stastny is more of what we traditionally were, a center that likes to do work on the cycle and keep things simple, and that isn't exactly a natural fit with Tarasenko. Stastny is still a playmaking center, but that doesn't mean they mesh, just how Gretzky and Hull weren't perfect together, and Weight and Tkachuk never developed into a dynamics combo.

*Wouldn't it be great if we had a Demitra-Weight center combo. How those teams couldn't get something done in the playoffs is insane.

Just look at how he gelled with, Jaskin, Schwartz, and Oshie. All 3 of those like to play a more traditional brand of hockey, even though each one has great skill as well.

Tarasenko works better with a center that can play on the rush and be more creative in the offensive zone, and that's Lehtera.

Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Stastny-Jaskin
Berglund/Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer/Fabbri

That gives us the best combos IMO. The 3rd line needs Fabbri in the offensive zone though, unless Berglund becomes more physical and they set the tone by hitting, hitting, and more hitting. The only way they don't become an offensive blackhole is if they physically dominate or Fabbri brings the creative element.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Stastny is more of what we traditionally were, a center that likes to do work on the cycle and keep things simple, and that isn't exactly a natural fit with Tarasenko. Stastny is still a playmaking center, but that doesn't mean they mesh, just how Gretzky and Hull weren't perfect together, and Weight and Tkachuk never developed into a dynamics combo.

*Wouldn't it be great if we had a Demitra-Weight center combo. How those teams couldn't get something done in the playoffs is insane.

Just look at how he gelled with, Jaskin, Schwartz, and Oshie. All 3 of those like to play a more traditional brand of hockey, even though each one has great skill as well.

Tarasenko works better with a center that can play on the rush and be more creative in the offensive zone, and that's Lehtera.

Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Stastny-Jaskin
Berglund/Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer/Fabbri

That gives us the best combos IMO. The 3rd line needs Fabbri in the offensive zone though, unless Berglund becomes more physical and they set the tone by hitting, hitting, and more hitting. The only way they don't become an offensive blackhole is if they physically dominate or Fabbri brings the creative element.

3rd line strategy....give puck to Fabbri.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Hm. I think it's maybe not the best usage to pair Schwartz and Fabbri and Steen and Tarasenko. Seems like it would be better to switch one of those pairs

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Fabbri could break in the team I still stay in my belief Berglund should be in pressbox. Crazy as this sound I see more needful Ott then Berglund. Berglund was our 9th and Ott 14th TOI/60 in PP icetime

Then compare to TOI/60 PK icetime, Berglund was our 9th spot, Ott was our 4th spot.

I don't see Berglund will get any PP icetime coming season and Ott will be our PK rotation group which are going to be: Brodziak, Brouwer, Backes, Ott, Steen and Schwartz. I hope Hitch don't use Stastny there we need him get most of icetime in PP and 5on5.
So rather keep Ott who is get used to play PK then guy who affect special icetime. That I don't know is Ott better then Berglund defensively (or I'm afraid to said it aloud), but I bet in Hitch papers Ott is more important then Berglund on that category.

If Berglund could be ~20 scorer or could be affective playmaker to his linemates and wouldn't shutdown his linemates I wouldn't hesitate single second to give him that icetime and then Ott's performance in PK wouldn't matter at all. Hopefully Berglund could raise the bar coming season and take that f needed next step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad