Stars trade deadline moves..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Dallas Morning News ~ by Mike Heika..

Dallas, TX - The Stars first trade deadline under new management can be considered a succes. Especially when you realise Jordi had to leave town due to personal reasons and gave Laurens, the assistant, the responsibility and task to improve this team on his own. Laurens' grabbed this oppertunity with both hands, he made dozens of calls, picked up the phone a zillion times, could nearly dream the lines "No thanks, we'll look elsewhere" or "I'll let you know", but in the end, it was all worth it. "It was quite the task, by the end of the day I felt relieved, happy and worn out at the same time." Said Laurens the day afterwards, "I didn't let Jordi down, he was impressed with the moves I made and that's what counts. I didn't want to sleep on the couch once again." But Laurens received help from a rather unexpectable source. Vancouver GM Sean stayed in contact with the rookie AGM of the Stars the whole time, he gave him advice and made sure he wouldn't get hosted in any trade. "Sean helped me out a lot, he was willing to help me out if I were to scrub his back for the rest of the week. It was fun, Jordi was out of town so we had the whole crib by ourselves. Gave me the perfect oppertunity to say thank you on my own special way, resulting in a nice, long, hot .. hey, do children read this? Or worse, will Jordi? If so.. never mind.. we were just.. just revisting the trades at my place.. by phone.. I mean I never ever met him, Sean that is.. Sean who?!!"

The Stars moves were as followed:

The first move LT made was trading two pending UFA veterans in Felix Potvin and Mikael Renberg for Dan Ellis and a 3rd round draft pick. Dan Ellis gives the Stars another impressive goaltending prospect and pretty much secure's their future in net with it (Kiprussof/Deslouriers/Ellis). The deal also has the compensation picks going to Dallas, while likely late ones, picks remain solid assets for a rebuilding franchise.

Viktor Kozlov and 2 mid rounds picks for Jeff Taffe. GM Jordi had a totally different perspective on Kozlov's value but after going deeper into this, he was pleased nonetheless. Kozlov worn out his stay in Dallas and the Stars were looking to move him for a blue chip prospect, see Taffe.

Laurens then went on to trade Jeff Taffe for Mikko Koivu and a 3rd round draft pick. With the purpose to solidify the Stars future down the middle (Parise - Koivu - Roy - Kapanen).

Before sneeking out with Vancouver GM Sean, LT actually made a deal with him that got rebuffed by League officials. The deal involved Karlis Skrastins, a player that received a qualifying offer from the Detroit Red Wings during his RFA status, making the Wings the only team he could be traded to, up untill finishing his contract. The deal was rumoured to be Karlis Skrastins for prospects Bell and Zigomanis and has now been put on hold untill the off-season, where both teams will once again determine whether they are willing to pull the trigger on this deal.

Considering all the circumstances, the Stars, or better yet; AGM Laurens, did a solid job. He dealt veterans with no further purpose on the team for prospects, picks and all kinds of assets that should help this franchise contending in a few years. What went on beyond the scenes could not be published due to personal reasons.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Modano = Dud said:
The first move LT made was trading two pending UFA veterans in Felix Potvin and Mikael Renberg for Dan Ellis and a 3rd round draft pick. Dan Ellis gives the Stars another impressive goaltending prospect and pretty much secure's their future in net with it (Kiprussof/Deslouriers/Ellis). The deal also has the compensation picks going to Dallas, while likely late ones, picks remain solid assets for a rebuilding franchise.

Not to split hairs, but while the UFA compensation picks had been part of an earlier proposed deal between Dallas and Columbus, nowhere in the negotiations involving Ellis were the comp picks mentioned - either in the talks leading up to the trade or the final submitted and approved deal. No compensation picks, no future considerations, nothing:

To DAL:
Prospect G Dan Ellis
NJD 3rd 2005

To CBJ:
G Felix Potvin
RW Mikael Renberg
$425K

Unfortunately the trade discussion took place via chat so there is no thread to refer to, but as things currently stand I'm afraid any compensation pick received for either Renberg or Potvin signing with another team in the off-season is the property of Columbus. However, recognizing that Laurens was somewhat sleep-deprived when negotiating the deal, I can make allowances for some confusion on his part. I am be prepared to split the difference with you: you guys get the compensation pick I recieve for Renberg, I'll get the compensation pick for Potvin.

Fair?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ohio Jones said:
Not to split hairs, but while the UFA compensation picks had been part of an earlier proposed deal between Dallas and Columbus, nowhere in the negotiations involving Ellis were the comp picks mentioned - either in the talks leading up to the trade or the final submitted and approved deal. No compensation picks, no future considerations, nothing:

To DAL:
Prospect G Dan Ellis
NJD 3rd 2005

To CBJ:
G Felix Potvin
RW Mikael Renberg
$425K

Unfortunately the trade discussion took place via chat so there is no thread to refer to, but as things currently stand I'm afraid any compensation pick received for either Renberg or Potvin signing with another team in the off-season is the property of Columbus. However, recognizing that Laurens was somewhat sleep-deprived when negotiating the deal, I can make allowances for some confusion on his part. I am be prepared to split the difference with you: you guys get the compensation pick I recieve for Renberg, I'll get the compensation pick for Potvin.

Fair?

I know next to nothing on the deal except for what Laurens told me. So I suggest you and Laurens sort this out since you discussed this entire deal. Maybe there was some misunderstanding between me and LT or perhaps even you and him. Either way, it seems to be a very minor detail and I am sure it can be worked out with relative ease. But everything is fine by me, I just want to let Laurens handle this, if that is ok by you that is..

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Modano = Dud said:
I know next to nothing on the deal except for what Laurens told me. So I suggest you and Laurens sort this out since you discussed this entire deal. Maybe there was some misunderstanding between me and LT or perhaps even you and him. Either way, it seems to be a very minor detail and I am sure it can be worked out with relative ease. But everything is fine by me, I just want to let Laurens handle this, if that is ok by you that is..

No problemo. I'll look for Laurens' message when he's available.

Brent Burns Beard