Stars top Prospect list

Tom HFNHL Stars

Jan 30, 2014
Port McNeill
1) Nico Hischier (F) 2017

HFNHL draft 2nd overall by Dallas Stars. NHL drafted 1st overall by New Jersey Devils. One scout wrote "Dynamic skill with excellent sense and a determination to be a difference maker." Nico is the real deal, Dallas Stars have found their number one center for many years to come.

2) Alex Nylander (F) 2016

The Stars first selection in the 2016 HFNHL draft. Alex turned pro at age 18 and played most of last season in the AHL. Played 4 games with Buffalo in the NHL and recorded one assist. Alex was the top scorer at the 2016/17 World juniors also named to the All-Tournament team. Future top line L/W.

3) Thatcher Demko (G) 2014

After three stellar seasons at Boston College Demko turned pro last season, playing the entire season in the AHL. Demko should make his NHL debut this fall, likely as the full time back-up goalie with the NHL Canucks. Stars future number 1b goalie.

4) Andrew Nielsen (D) 2015

HFNHL drafted 139th (4th round). A late bloomer, Nielsen put up good numbers with the Marlies of the AHL 14g - 25a - 39p as a 20year old rookie defenceman. Nielsen has quickly moved up the NHL Leafs depth chart and should see some games in the NHL this season. Future PP D man.

5) Gavin Bayreuther (D) 2014

HFNHL drafted 120th. Went undrafted in NHL. After 4 great seasons with St. Lawrence University in (NCAA) Gavin signed a free agent 2 year entry level deal with the NHL Dallas Stars this spring. Offensive defenceman who is coming out of the NCAA NHL ready. I think Gavin splits season in the AHL and the NHL.

6) Jordan Subban (D) 2013 (acquired via trade with Philly in 2014)

NHL Canucks called up Subban 3 times this season but he never saw game action with the big club. Subban has put up good offensive numbers with AHL Utica for 2 straight seasons and is poised to make the Canucks. Another Stars offensive minded D man.

7) Brett Howden (F) 2016

Selected 33rd overall HFNHL draft. 27th overall by NHL Tampa Bay. 38 goals and 81 points with Moose Jaw in the WHL. Brett has been invited to the Team Canada WJC evaluation team this summer. He signed an entry level deal with NHL Tampa Bay this spring and played 5 games in the AHL 3g 1a. Projected 2nd line NHL (C).

8) Luc Snuggerud (D) 2014

Going off the board here. Luc is another offensive D-man in the Stars prospect pool who is late bloomer. Selected 116th by Stars in HFNHL and 141st by NHL Black Hawks. After 3 good seasons at the U. of Nebraska-Omaha (NCAA) Luc signed an entry level deal with Hawks this spring and played 15 games 1g 5a with Rockford AHL. Projected 3rd pairing PP D-man.

9) Brett Lernout (D) 2014

A 6'4" big crease clearing D-man. Selected 127th in HFNHL. Nothing fancy here, just a large body pushing opposing players around. At age 21 Brett has been called up to the big club (NHL Canadians) twice. He skates well for a big man, and has a bit of a mean streak. Projection a 3rd pairing stay at home D-man

10) Nicolas Roy (F) 2015

Going with my heart here. Nicolas has improved his skating over the last two seasons. Posting 90 points in 63gp for Chicoutimi 2016 (QMJHL) and 80 points in 53gp in 2017 (Chicoutimi). He played well at the 2017 WJC for team Canada. I think he will play in the NHL, likely as a 3rd 4th liner with some PP time.

11) Ryan MacInnis 2014

Selected with the 32ov pick in HFNHL 2014 draft. Struggled in his first full season as a pro. MacInnis has lots of potential but he will need to improve his play in all three zones if he wants to make the NHL.

12) Marcus Davidsson 2017

Selected 44ov at this summers HFNHL draft. Marcus is a very good checking center, his style is similar to Travis Zajac. Played well at the WJC (u18) for team Sweden and should make team Sweden at this years WJC (u20). Projecting a 3rd line Center in NHL.

13) Mike Amadio 2014

Selected 136ov in 2014 HFNHL draft. Another late bloomer. Amadio played very well in his first pro season picking up 16 goals and 41 points in 68 games in the AHL. Amadios play improved as the season wore on and finished the season centering the 2nd line. Projecting a 3rd line NHL center with scoring upside.

14) Nick Merkley 2015

Selected 14ov at the 2015 HFNHL draft. Hampered by knee injuries his last 2 season's of junior, Merkley's on ice performance declined. I will wait to see how Merkley performs in his first Pro season before I right him off as a complete BUST. Hope I am wrong projecting a bust.

15) Adam Helewka 2014

Selected 159th at the 2014 HFNHL draft. Helewka was passed over by the NHL his first draft eligible season (2014) and was selected 106ov by NHL Sharks in 2015. Helewka played well in his first full pro season but is a bit of a long shot to be a regular in the NHL.

16) Paul Bitner 2015

Selected 20ov in HFNHL 2015 draft. Injuries have slowed his development. I saw Bittner play in junior and this greatly influenced my choice drafting him. I literally flipped a coin between drafting Bittner or Colin White with pick 20?? Yes I since threw the coin in the garbage. Hoping Bittner can get to 100% before I write him off as a BUST.

17) Jesse Gabrielle 2015

Selected 155ov HFNHL draft and 105 by the NHL Bruins 2015. The 6' 200lb L/W signed an ELC with the NHL Bruins and will play his first full pro season next fall. Another late bloomer here. Could develop into a 3rd 4th line energy player.

18) Chris Martenet 2015

Selected 164ov HFNHL draft and 103 by the NHL Stars 2015. The 6'7" D-man signed an ELC with NHL Dallas and will begin his pro career this fall. At 6'7" I will be monitoring his development closely. You can't teach size, hoping this late rounder turns into Chara.

19) Mikhail Vorobyov 2015

Selected 208ov HFNHL draft and 104ov by the NHL Flyers 2015. The 2nd leading scorer for team Russia at the WJC with 10a. Playing in the KHL. Has some skill, hope to see him play in North America soon.

20) Joseph Cecconi 2015

Selected 167ov HFNHL draft and 133ov by the NHL Stars 2015. Currently playing for U. of Michigan NCAA. the 6'3' 210lb stay at home D-man has played well. Several U of M D-men graduated so Joseph should play a bigger role next season.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard