Stars @ Panthers Preseason Game #3 Recap

flomarilius

May 23, 2011
Miami, FL
After attending last nights game I have to respectfully disagree with you on Booth's performance. He skated hard and looked to be in the right position throughout the night. However, his linemates also put him in compromising positions. I wouldn't expect to see either of them make the N roster. Give him big club linemates and it'll be a much different story.

Thunderheart

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
After attending last nights game I have to respectfully disagree with you on Booth's performance. He skated hard and looked to be in the right position throughout the night. However, his linemates also put him in compromising positions. I wouldn't expect to see either of them make the N roster. Give him big club linemates and it'll be a much different story.

Was watching the stream of the jumbotron feed and felt that Booth was very effective on the penalty kill. He also seems to still have good speed which would indicate that he can keep up with any of our lines
Thunderheart

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I agree with the replies about Booth. Seemed to fit in really well and was all over the place when he was on the ice. Was trying to make a difference and be effective.

Not sure why you say you're worried about our goalie depth. We've got lots of it and just because our third string goalie allows a goal by Tyler Seguin does not make him bad. We've got several options in Montoya, McKenna and Brittain. We saw how Ellis stepped in last year and kept our playoff hopes alive with his strong play down the stretch. He's gone now, but no reason to think Montoya or McKenna can't do the same...it's a a brand new season for everyone.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
I actually thought Crouse was awful last night... Fumbling the puck, losing nearly every battle in the corners, and just looked plain slow out there. I can't recall one impressionable play that he had...

As far as Booth, he was great on the PK as well as defensively. Collapsed nicely, always was positioned in passing lanes (both the Pk, as well as circling back and defending Dallas' breakout 5o5.) Solid showing from him IMO

For me the players that left a solid impression were: Hubs, Grimaldi, Campbell, Petrovic, Guds, and Barkov.

Matheson had a couple of nice plays, but also a few questionable decisions.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I actually thought Crouse was awful last night... Fumbling the puck, losing nearly every battle in the corners, and just looked plain slow out there. I can't recall one impressionable play that he had...

As far as Booth, he was great on the PK as well as defensively. Collapsed nicely, always was positioned in passing lanes (both the Pk, as well as circling back and defending Dallas' breakout 5o5.) Solid showing from him IMO

For me the players that left a solid impression were: Hubs, Grimaldi, Campbell, Petrovic, Guds, and Barkov.

Matheson had a couple of nice plays, but also a few questionable decisions.

Back to junior and AHL respectively!

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Definitely. I'll be really surprised if Crouse sticks around for 9 games. Seems pointless to me.
I thought it was odd that Tallon said that Crouse is going to get the 9 games tryout, even before training camp had started, considering how he's ranted on that players have to earn their spot and it's not something that's just handed to them for free.

Highly contradicting move if Crouse doesn't end up getting that tryout after all.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I agree with the replies about Booth. Seemed to fit in really well and was all over the place when he was on the ice. Was trying to make a difference and be effective.

Not sure why you say you're worried about our goalie depth. We've got lots of it and just because our third string goalie allows a goal by Tyler Seguin does not make him bad. We've got several options in Montoya, McKenna and Brittain. We saw how Ellis stepped in last year and kept our playoff hopes alive with his strong play down the stretch. He's gone now, but no reason to think Montoya or McKenna can't do the same...it's a a brand new season for everyone.

I think we are in good shape with brittain. lets give him a chance.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I thought it was odd that Tallon said that Crouse is going to get the 9 games tryout, even before training camp had started, considering how he's ranted on that players have to earn their spot and it's not something that's just handed to them for free.

Highly contradicting move if Crouse doesn't end up getting that tryout after all.

just one game.. lets see what he does next game.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Agree. I guess he could keep him around for 9 games but not play in them so he can get exposure to life in the NHL, higher quality practices, etc.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Sounds like Booth could be a good fit on the fourth line. He's got the speed which Tallon said he wanted to add to our lineup (see smith trade) and hyping up Grimaldi. If he can show to improve the PK, I think we should sign him. If we're making the playoffs, special team MUST improve. Also got to think Howden is Booth's main competition so if he's beating out Howden for the 4th line then Booth deserves a one year deal.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Maybe Tallon remembers how awful Ekblad was last preseason, he still gave Ekblad the 9-game tryout and when the season started Ekblad was a totally different player. Will the same happen with Crouse?

RedSteeg32

Jun 28, 2015
South Florida, US
Wasn't able to attend the game myself due to my work schedule, but I heard from multiple people that Booth played hard and will definitely push for a roster spot... and I'm a believer that he'll grab one at the end of camp. I definitely have heard from some people though that his game could be better, but maybe that's because some people don't understand the role that he plays now, the extent that his game has been transformed into.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014

I think the 9 game tryout is more about getting his feet wet in the NHL before sending him back to work on his game. Similar to Reinheart in Buffalo last year, i doubt they intended to keep him past the 9 games at all, but thought it would be best if he was able to get a taste of the NHL so that when he was sent back home he would know what he needed to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad