Stars @ Panthers, Game Preview

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Biggest worry: backup goalie.

This really could become the biggest issue. Montoya is going to get 15-20 starts and the way the league is right now, every point counts. Even one or two bad games might be costly, hopefully the team finally has enough depth to overcome the bad games that Montoya will have again.

In the past it didn't matter cos the team was out of the playoffs all the time, who cares about a couple of points lol.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Was there an announcement on who won the PA job?

Spoke with some people last night in the press box. Seems like the guy from last night is who won it, but not sure. There's a new game presentation director and I was told the PA guy would be working closely with him to work out the kinks. Last night was the guy's first game as the PA announcer so perhaps he was a little nervous. He'll be doing the next preseason home game vs. the Lightning I believe.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Hubs looked great. Nice to see him finish like that. Bjugstad has such a nasty shot.

I'm really excited for Huberdeau this season.

Now that he's put on some size and filled out, he's gonna be a force. His patience with the puck is just ridiculous as shown on the first goal.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
huberdeau had a great game. pestered the guy on the first one, i thought it was a clean strip but i think the guy accidentally handled it into his teammates skate, but huberdeau definitely helped. then had a very nice deke for the goal. the 2nd was very nice, far corner, perfect placement, with his shot not being strong he needs to be very accurate like that so hopefully we can expect more of that. his skating didnt look any better imo tho. its just his skating style is too weird, he makes really wide strides and his acceleration is really slow. still had a great game though.
that whole line was just incredible to watch. they just all know where each other are. its incredible. huberdeau brought it down the wing in the 3rd, put on the breaks, held onto it a little longer and barkov came outta no where and dished it off to him for a quick slap shot and barkov really leaned into it. really riffled the thing, love seeing barkov's shot.

crouse was pretty unnoticeable overall, i still expect him to get a few games in though.

bjugstad with a really nice pp goal, just wide open, walked in, walked in, and ripped it over the shoulder. very nice. he also looked more physical than he usually plays imo.

matheson really did look incredible. he whiffed on a slap shot when he had a pass coming straight towards him from the front, but one of the early pp he had 2 consecutive one-timers and they both had a lot of velocity on it. nice to have a d being able to set up in the pirri region just above the face-off circle and can riffle in one timers like that. his speed looked good, he didnt get pushed around, very good offensive instincts. so far I'm wanting him to play some games with kulikov and see if he sticks. i really think he can. its not like he isnt developed, he's played 3yrs of D1 hockey at one of the best if not the best college hockey program in the country. weegar looked solid too, got to play with campbell.

campbell looked very solid imo. its a contract year for him so i expect a good season from him. had a spinorama, and one stint in the offensive zone where he was just everywhere with the puck, looked very good overall imo.

mike mckenna kinda sucks lol the first goal was lousy, tried to catch a long snapshot and missed. the other one ill assume got tipped, looked bad initially. nothing he could do on the 3v3 tho, when barkov went to the bench after his stick broke it was just 2v3 and he just walked into the slot and walked some more closer and closer and just picked a corner. you could see it coming.

luongo looked good, 0 goals in 2 periods.

i know the competition wasnt all that great today but we really dominated them overall. grimaldi also looked good, think he just sprained it ankle, i doubt its anything major. gudbranson didnt look as bad as some are saying, but he wasnt that great or anything. just kinda there, had some nice hits. petrovic also had some solid hits as well. booth looked fast, overall not bad.

ps. for the people saying the pa announcer sucks, I'm pretty sure he's on the boards here, just fyi. i know who he is, i like him, he has the voice for it, but he is a tad on the monotone side, could speak with just a little more enthusiasm.

Second goal on McKenna was definitely tipped. First one was an easy save though. He will be in SA no doubt. Guds floated tbe whole game and Petro floated like no other during that "overtime". A really overall **** gsme by Bjugstad killing two PP opportunities. Saved some fave with the nice snipe. Matheson looked awesome. Physical and strong on the puck. Luongo looked to be in midseason form. Awesome stretch glove save was his best of the night. PK did work too.

PA guy needs to let the fans do the "GOAL" after we score like Murphy did. Other than that he wasn't terrible.

Glad to see the Rat Pack gone too.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
The first big challenge is winning the home opener versus the flyers. Last year, the team crapped the home opener away to the devils and it was the nail in the coffin for the attendance moving forward.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
The first big challenge is winning the home opener versus the flyers. Last year, the team crapped the home opener away to the devils and it was the nail in the coffin for the attendance moving forward.

If the home opener can be the nail in the coffin attendance wise, then this team is doom.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL

To be fair, that was the first Home game with the "updated" ticket prices and such.

However, getting slapped a 5-1 loss didn't help matters.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

With respect, that's not true. Call a spade a spade, Panthers attendance was a joke. Doesn't mean they're moving, doesn't mean it won't get better, but there was no excuse.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
The bottom line is that until the team starts showing real results, the attendance is not going to be good. You can either listen to stupid people drone on about attendance or accept reality and ignore them. Personally, I'm going with the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad