GDT: Stars General Thread '23-24

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Such a shame with what happened to Segs. Injuries really derailed his career and he’s still managed to fight back and change his game to become effective. Watching his success this season has been fun to watch. Similar to Benn’s bounce back last year and his most recent surge this past month. Those two get a lot of hate but they have been such a big part of this franchise for over 10 years and injuries played a part in their struggles to find their ceiling. That and with how the game has changed as they get older.

Was never a huge Seguin fan but over the last couple years I’ve come to really appreciate his career with Dallas.

Depending on how his offseason goes, it may be best to sign Duchene and have Mavs up there with him if Segs is expected to miss time at the start of next year

The offseason will be really interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dallasman and LT

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
lol well this sounds like it was poorly handled then.

So instead of putting Seguin on LTIR and bringing in impactful players, they're gonna bet on him to get the 2nd line going again when he's not even healthy?

That's pretty stupid no matter how you cut it.
Based on their current cap situation, anyone they would have brought in would have been strictly a rental- but still, you'd think theres some player out there making way too much on a non-playoff team on an expiring contract Dallas could have acquired for next to nothing by taking on the whole cap hit. But maybe not if the cost of retention was relatively low as it seemed to be this season. I wouldn't have wanted them to spend a great deal more this season regardless.

Also the Stars passed on Kane lol

Last edited:

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Based on their current cap situation, anyone they would have brought in would have been strictly a rental- but still, you'd think theres some player out there making way too much on a non-playoff team on an expiring contract Dallas could have acquired for next to nothing by taking on the whole cap hit. But maybe not if the cost of retention was relatively low as it seemed to be this season. I wouldn't have wanted them to spend a great deal more this season regardless.

Also the Stars passed on Kane lol

Frank vatrano would have been a great fit.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Shame about Segs, hope the 2nd line can still find some mojo again for playoffs.

Unrelated, looks like we'll see Nils tomorrow:

The coaching staff needs to stop playing a hurt Hakanpää over Lundkvist. They did that last season too and in the playoffs it ended very badly. I get why they didn't want to use Colin Miller because he was even worse but playing a clearly hurt Jani over a healthy scratched Nils makes no sense

You wanna play a healthy Jani over Nils ? I guess i can accept that but hurt he is very much not helping the team. Let him rest up

Then again he didn't have knee surgery in the offseason. I would assume his knee has been flairing up by this point of the season.

Last edited:

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think we all appreciate the effort and time Seguin has spent keeping fans in seats and the team competitive in the face of a retool, and how injuries have put a huge strain on his career.

I think he really deserves an LTIRetire in sunny California. No pressure to come back, no pressure to destroy the rest of his body to compete.

Come on Tyler, after they pay your signing bonus in the offseason, accept a trade to Anaheim ;)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Seguin doesn't strike me as the type of player that would be satisfied sitting at home collecting a cheque based on his previous efforts of battling back from injuries/surgery to get back in the lineup. He also hasn't seen his game completely fall off a cliff.

If he was below 0.5 ppg, I think it would be a different story... but he was clicking with Duchene/Marchment.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Jani has been hurt the past what, 2 seasons straight? Didnt he also decline surgery this off season based on his doctor vs team doctor? lmao

Reactions: Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jani has been hurt the past what, 2 seasons straight? Didnt he also decline surgery this off season based on his doctor vs team doctor? lmao

Yes they treated his knee conservatively in the offseason. Didn't seem to have lasted the full regular season which is not exactly a suprise.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes they treated his knee conservatively in the offseason. Didn't seem to have lasted the full regular season which is not exactly a suprise.

The other crazy part is keep forcing him in the lineup with a bum knee while Nils was waiting, they could have 50/50'd games at minimum to conserve the knee. NHL lineup decision making is odd sometimes with resting/saving players.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
The other crazy part is keep forcing him in the lineup with a bum knee while Nils was waiting, they could have 50/50'd games at minimum to conserve the knee. NHL lineup decision making is odd sometimes with resting/saving players.

There’s a reason DeBoer has pissed off the fans of every team he’s coached at.

Reactions: BrettHullsToe

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
The rosters are too inflexible and everyone runs so tight to the cap w/ very little depth to actually keep players in the lineup.

If they put in PTOs during the season everyone would abuse the f*** out of it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Most of the year both Jani and Nils played because of roster limitations but since they've aquired Tanev there has been no reason to just outright play Jani over Nils every single time. None . He's not even that important to the PK anymore either since Tanev got here. Esa , Tanev , Suter then sprinkle in some Miro and maybe Harley on the PK. You don't need Jani on the PK .

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I think the possibility of Seguin LTIRetiring will be more about pain management than his ability to perform on the ice. If his injuries progress to the point he has take painkillers just to walk around in the morning, it's time to call it a career (and get a hip replacement) no matter how well he plays once dosed up.

Reactions: LT and Elysian

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think the possibility of Seguin LTIRetiring will be more about pain management than his ability to perform on the ice. If his injuries progress to the point he has take painkillers just to walk around in the morning, it's time to call it a career (and get a hip replacement) no matter how well he plays once dosed up.
I also wonder if he does degrade to the point where he's truly terrible whether he would find a way to LTIR just for the sake of his pride, considering he's always been among the best players on his team since he was 5 years old. It truly sucks what injuries have taken from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad