Post-Game Talk: Stars def. Canucks - 3-1 (Miller) | Not Clinched

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Pettersson didn't score but was otherwise terrific tonight. Problem is when you have a second line of Bains/Miller/Lafferty, teams are just going to focus on your actual good line and make it hell for them.

Tocchet should scream at a mirror for how idiotic that lineup was.
Honestly, none of the lines were great, Petey line benefited from the Hughes boost in my opinion

Refs sucked but the Stars were the better team regardless.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Funny how 10 minutes ago everyone was talking about how evenly matched we are with them and then they score a goal on a BS penalty and an empty netter and suddenly we are a tier below them and have no hopes of contending

What an overreaction in the game thread
We can hang with them obviously. But the dreadful PP is NOT a overreaction, and Tocchet’s line combination decisions are not a one off either.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Yeah, well when your team doesn't do more than just hang around against the better teams going into the playoffs, and the reason they lose has been there for most of the season, there's good reason for that attitude.

I don't believe they deserved better because their PP is completely useless. It changes the entire way the game is played, because it allows the opponent to level up their minor infractions knowing the majority will be let go to keep the PPs even. The Stars were interfering all over the ice and didn't get called for it once. It's hard to generate an aggressive forecheck when you're being impeded all game. That's just part of it.

The PP issue is not new and it's not due to a lack of skilled players.

These games don't get easier and in all likelihood you're going to see the same shit reffing from this point forward.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I thought we were in this game and it was tight checking and closely played.

Some crappy reffing at the end followed by a bonehead goalie pull cost us, IMO.
We have played 2 decent games in a row despite sabotaging our lines.

Bains and Lafferty are not top 6 players. Stop this nonsense immediately. I get we want 3 balanced scoring lines but it's not going to happen.

Powerplay is just setting up Hughes at the point or taking an unscreened shot. Any bumper formation is being easily covered due to our inability to control the puck or retrieve the puck down low.

We need powerplay coaches asap.

Reactions: Indiana

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Team is f***ed if they play Vegas.

Getting goals 5 on 5 will be at a premium but the utter shit PP will be the killer.

They have had over half a season to figure it out. That’s on the coaching staff.

And not addressing that Lindholm wasn’t working and flipping him for another Top 6 forward will be a huge mistake.

Reactions: B-rock

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Funny how 10 minutes ago everyone was talking about how evenly matched we are with them and then they score a goal on a BS penalty and an empty netter and suddenly we are a tier below them and have no hopes of contending

What an overreaction in the game thread
I think the Canucks can play *with* anyone - the structure, defense, and intensity is pretty solid throughout the lineup. But we're not seeing the chemistry line-to-line necessary to convey that play into finished chances.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t think Dallas is some sort of Juggernaut team..Canucks matched up with them quite well..(5v5)..It’s not like they had us on our heels for extended times..

More of a case of Canucks shooting themselves in the foot, and a very inept power play.

Reactions: geebaan and Indiana

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The only annoying part about all of this, is the absolutely obvious reason why this team has a gaping hole.

It’s frustrating because everybody wants this year to be the year, but we need another top six forward.

You can’t have lafferty or bains in the top 6
Suter also is a 3rd line C

Not to mention on the PowerPlay, this is why the development of Lekkermaki and raty it’s so important.

I hope everything clicks, I truly truly do, but there’s such a hole, it’s frustrating, because it’s so evident.

Lindholm just fixes one of them.

The only thing I can think about is potentially trying Joshua as a top six forward for the next week, and hope it clicks

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I thought we were in this game and it was tight checking and closely played.

Some crappy reffing at the end followed by a bonehead goalie pull cost us, IMO.
They did play well. And they lost. It's becoming predictable against the better clubs once the games tighten up. The better team won and yes, they also worked the reffing to their favor.

Reactions: Jay26

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Yeah, well when your team doesn't do more than just hang around against the better teams going into the playoffs, and the reason they lose has been there for most of the season, there's good reason for that attitude.

I don't believe they deserved better because they're PP is completely useless. It changes the entire way the game is played, because it allows the opponent to level up their minor infractions knowing the majority will be let go to keep the PPs even. The Stars were interfering all over the ice and didn't get called for it once. It's hard to generate an aggressive forecheck when you're being impeded all game. That's just part of it.

The PP issue is not knew and it's not due to a lack of skilled players.

These games don't get easier and in all likelihood you're going to see the same shit reffing from this point forward.
Let them play in empty arenas just once stay outside give buttman the message he needs we need to quit being all in fans and cost nhl cash it wil change fast

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not many games left. But still enough time to figure this out. I would like to start to see some consistency of the lines. Changing them every game isn't doing much to help.

I'd love to just settle on the Lotto line and let Hoglander, Lindholm and either Mikheyev or Pod man the second line. Too bad Tocchet seems terrified to try it.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don’t think Dallas is some sort of Juggernaut team..Canucks matched up with them quite well..(5v5)..It’s not like they had us on our heels for extended times..

More of a case of Canucks shooting themselves in the foot, and a very inept power play.
I thought Dallas got better at 5v5 as the game went on, they were the better team. I thought the Hintz and Duchene lines stood out, no Canuck line really stood out

Reactions: TruKnyte

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Both Bains and Podkiolzin look like they definitely belong.....I wouldn't take either guy out of the lineup the rest of the way.

And I might consider sitting Blueger in favor of Aman. He doesn't have a goal in close to 30 games and his careless penalty with three minutes left was the difference in the game.
Podz definitely belongs in the lineup. He's been useful in the bottom 6 and deserves to be there.

Reactions: Indiana and B-rock

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Compare us to a team like Boston who, while probably less talented on paper, is far better at organizing their team to build really solid lines that play well together. This team was at its best when it had lines like 6-40-9 and Garland-Blueger-Joshua rolling; nothing theyve put together since then has really been contender-level effective. They're running out of runway in the regular season to figure this out and lock in.
Couldn't agree more. They were a well oiled machine when they were rolling proven effective lines, or even just duos. The only weakness at that time was the "leftover line" with Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and Suter. All they needed was to build a decent 2nd line, and I guess the Lindholm acquisition was supposed to be an answer but it hasn't worked out at all.

Whatever, I'm just not feeling it. Too long a stretch of Pettersson struggling to look dangerous and Miller/Hughes/Boeser slowing down considerably. All the team has going for them without their offense shining is Demko.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Just watched the replay of the game winning goal. Still have no clue what Myers was doing. I am pretty sure Miller communicates he has the back door play covered so the only thing Myers has to worry about is Jamie Benn in the bumper spot yet he is focused on Pavelski who Soucy clearly has covered. Pavelski only really has three options the back door or the Bumper pass, pass it back to the point, or try bring it to the net. The first option is the most dangerous yet Myers is fixated on him.

Reactions: Indiana

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Team is f***ed if they play Vegas.

Getting goals 5 on 5 will be at a premium but the utter shit PP will be the killer.

They have had over half a season to figure it out. That’s on the coaching staff.

And not addressing that Lindholm wasn’t working and flipping him for another Top 6 forward will be a huge mistake.

Honestly? I'm less worried about Vegas even if they do get everyone back game 1. They've been incredibly sloppy themselves. We don't match up well against LA whatsoever. That's the team I'm a bit more worried about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad