Stars Align: Dallas Boasts Five Top First-Round Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
The Dallas Stars feature an impressive lineup with five top-tier first-round picks: Tyler Seguin (2nd overall), Ryan Suter (7th overall), Radek Faksa (13th overall), Matt Duchene (3rd overall), and Miro Heiskanen (3rd overall). This talented group underscores the team's effective acquisition strategy. Can any other team in recent memory claim more high first-round selections? Notably, the Stars also have other first-round draftees who were picked later.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think including Suter and Duchene is a little disingenuous given the stage of their career. I don’t think you would be hard pressed to find teams with similar draft pedigree if you included acquired players.

As you mentioned, the impressive thing with this Stars team is the players they picked later. Johnston, Robertson, Stankoven, Harley, Hintz, Oettinger.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Panthers?

Originally drafted by Panthers:

Barkov 2nd overall (13)
Ekblad 1st overall (14)
Lundell 12th overall (20)

Kulikov 14th overall (09)

Traded for:
Reinhart, 2nd overall (14)
Tkachuk 6th overall (16)
Bennett, 4th overall (14)

OEL 6th overall (09)
Tank 16th overall (10)
Okposo 7th overall (06)

Guys bolded are playing top minutes/roles for the team.
Lundell is becoming a very good player in the playoffs.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm not sure what your cutoff is, but the Rangers have 5 guys picked in the top 9 overall (Laf (1), Kakko (2), Wheeler (5), Zib (6) and Trouba (9)), and another 6 players picked between 14th and 25th overall (Wennberg (14), Kreider (19), Chytil (21), Miller (22), Schneider (22) and Roslovic (25)).

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The Dallas stars are the best drafters in the league and it's not really close at the moment. As noted, the Panthers team is pretty stacked, but they do a lot of their damage by doing great in trades, free agency, and drafting. A little mix of all 3, where as Dallas is more-so elite drafters + good free agency signers

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
The Dallas Stars feature an impressive lineup with five top-tier first-round picks: Tyler Seguin (2nd overall), Ryan Suter (7th overall), Radek Faksa (13th overall), Matt Duchene (3rd overall), and Miro Heiskanen (3rd overall). This talented group underscores the team's effective acquisition strategy. Can any other team in recent memory claim more high first-round selections? Notably, the Stars also have other first-round draftees who were picked later.
They weren't all drafted by the stars. Oilers have Hopkins, Leon, Mvdavid, Bouchard and Kane(drafted by another team)

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
If we're including players not drafted by the organization they're currently playing for, the Oilers would like to say, "hello." (bolded played drafted by Edmonton).

- Connor McDavid (1st overall)
- Ryan Nugent Hopkins (1st overall)
- Leon Draisaitl (3rd overall)

- Evander Kane (4th overall)
- Sam Gagner (6th overall) *healthy scratch
- Darnell Nurse (7th overall)
- Evan Bouchard (10th overall)
- Dylan Holloway (14th overall)

- Cody Ceci (15th overall)
- Corey Perry (28th overall) *healthy scratch

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo

Did u look at the teams before u made this thread?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Very odd thread.

Probably more notable to mention the guys they drafted on the team with their own picks, which is probably more impressive when you look at that list

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Very odd thread.

Probably more notable to mention the guys they drafted on the team with their own picks, which is probably more impressive when you look at that list
This was my exact thought.

Acquiring former high picks is not always a positive. The fact that teams were willing to part with them tells you something.

The Stars' success has way more to do with guys picked lower.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Dallas stars are the best drafters in the league and it's not really close at the moment. As noted, the Panthers team is pretty stacked, but they do a lot of their damage by doing great in trades, free agency, and drafting. A little mix of all 3, where as Dallas is more-so elite drafters + good free agency signers

It’s weird because for so long Dallas seemed to be brutal at drafting players and now their top tier status seems to be build more or less on 2 drafts

Reactions: Castle8130

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The 2022 Avs Stanley Cup team had Mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar, Kadri, Landeskog, Nichushkin, J Johnson,E Johnson, Jost( and R. Murray technically) all in the top 10 when they won, and a few more late round 1st's as well
Byram too, team was loaded with previous top 5 picks

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
It’s weird because for so long Dallas seemed to be brutal at drafting players and now their top tier status seems to be build more or less on 2 drafts
They really turned the corner. Hintz is their no. 1 center as a 2nd rounder. Johnston as a late 1st, Stankoven as a 2nd rounder, then they have Borque and Bischel in their back pocket. Both of whom have looked promising.

Reactions: BB88

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You know other teams have more, I assume.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I thought this thread was about Robertson, Heiskanen, Oettinger, Johnston and Harley. Dallas has incredible drafting results.

Just realized Robertson wasn't even a 1st round pick.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure where you're going with this thread. The Canucks have 5 former first round picks on their blueline alone.

Heck, they even have a former top 6 pick taking up dead cap space.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
And until the last year, Stars fans always moaned about how bad we were at drafting. On our board, I analyzed the total games played by both Nill and Niewy as GM's. Surprisingly, GM Joe still holds a lead. While his very first pick (Scott Glennie) played all of 1 game in the NHL, Faksa, Oleksiak, and even Jack Campell played many games, as did some other later picks.

With the current draft crop, I have no doubt Nill will catch him soon, in both the quantity of games played and quality.

I have told this story before here, but in the late 90's I sat next to Bob Gainey on a plane. Among the pleasant conversation, he noted that it takes switching out 5-6 players to transform a roster, providing they are the right 5-6. (25-33% of the roster) In the next two years, it took more than that in Belfour, Verbeek, Niewendyke, Hull, Sydor, Zubov, Chambers, Keane, Carbo, Skrudland, Chambers, etc., via trade, drafing (Langenbrunner) or UFA to supplement Modano, Lehtinen, Hatcher, and Mattvichuck, drafted earlier. Voila, it resulted in the '99 Cup.

Given that was pre-cap, the current Stars team is more impressive to me, although I am not sure they will win the Cup, which is TBD, and still only a 25% chance ATM. Building mostly with two drafts is better than two years of unlimited spending on UFA, not to mention, that team started descending quickly after the 2000 Finals, whereas there is a chance that this team can contend for a long time.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
we’ve seen four of the five teams still alive, so the canucks:

4 pettersson
5 lindholm
7 hughes
10 podkolzin

that is all, unless you want to count myers (12), miller (15), zadorov (16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad