Movies: Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi, for those who have seen it! (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
The characters ARE the story.
And the characters are f***ing terrible. Didn't give a shit for any of them... the only satisfying moment for me was when I thought Rose finally died, but even that the movie managed to dissappoint me in.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
He didn’t try and kill hi nephew, first of all. And since you got that part wrong, I’ll just let this conversation go, because it’s clearly going nowhere... but at least get that fact straight. I really liked how they handled that situation of Luke and Kylo. Makes a lot of sense, really. Luke saw him going bad, briefly got caught up in the emotion of the situation, and it was too late before he came to his senses. Really thought that was a well-executed plot.
No he just stood above him with his lightsaber, almost swung and decided not to. That's like pulling a gun and pointing it.

So much different. :laugh:

It makes no sense and is completely out of character for Luke not to help his friends or run away and hide because he saw evil in one person who pulled a building down on top of him. He just gave up after that? His friends find him and he says "nope.... just gonna sit here and fish until I die" then does one thing to help them escape once and he dies.

Not Lukes character at all. Did you even see Ep IV-VI?

Not well executed at all.

Reactions: SomeoneGreat

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He didn’t try and kill hi nephew, first of all. And since you got that part wrong, I’ll just let this conversation go, because it’s clearly going nowhere... but at least get that fact straight. I really liked how they handled that situation of Luke and Kylo. Makes a lot of sense, really. Luke saw him going bad, briefly got caught up in the emotion of the situation, and it was too late before he came to his senses. Really thought that was a well-executed plot.

I agree that simply having Luke even consider killing his nephew was a bit much.

It works but for people who wanted Luke to be "perfect/infallible" this is heresy.

I get that it is a big "uhhhh Luke wouldn't" but that he would made for a much, much better character.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No he just stood above him with his lightsaber, almost swung and decided not to. That's like pulling a gun and pointing it.

It makes no sense and is completely out of character for Luke not to help his friends or run away and hide because he saw evil in one person who pulled a building down on top of him. He just gave up after that? His friends find him and he says "nope.... just gonna sit here and fish until I die" then does one thing to help them escape once and he dies.

Another K2 related theory: Kylo Ren is a wound in the Force. That's what scared Luke so much.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Luke didn't try to kill his nephew while he slept?

What was he doing standing over Kylo with his lightsabre then? He had already committed to the mens rea of murder. Just because Kylo woke up before he could complete the act doesn't mean Luke didn't try to kill him.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This isn’t uncommon. It’s a theme running through this thread. People wanting to be critical of the movie have failed to understand plot points.

What happened with Luke and Kylo is my favorite one. My second favorite one is referring to the situation with the Resistance as them being “chased.” It’s a moving siege, not a chase.

It is interesting that there’s universal agreement about Leia in space though.
I was stoked for this movie. Has nothing to do with wanting to be critical. It's one of the MANY fails in this story. There is still no rhyme or reason for Rey to be such a badass. She still got no training from Luke outside of him guiding one meditation. Its dumb. Luke was completely out of character.

Mark Hamil himself has been very vocal about how him and Rian disagreed with Lukes character. He straight up said he didn't like it but he trusted his director.

MH was right. They effed up Luke.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Another K2 related theory: Kylo Ren is a wound in the Force. That's what scared Luke so much.
K2? Don't know what that is.

I get what scared Luke. I don't get that it scared the guy who just faced his father who was WAY more powerful in the darkside so much that he ran away and gave up on his friends and the galaxy. Not Lukes character at all.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yeah, pointing a gun and pulling the trigger are two VASTLY different things.

Also, expecting Luke to be the same person after the events of RotJ is unrealistic. That would scar just about anyone.

Your problem is, again, your own expectations being foiled. You expected Luke to be OT Luke and you were wrong... therefore it’s bad. That’s not how it should work.

Reactions: Kurtz

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
K2? Don't know what that is.

I get what scared Luke. I don't get that it scared the guy who just faced his father who was WAY more powerful in the darkside so much that he ran away and gave up on his friends and the galaxy. Not Lukes character at all.
KOTOR2. I made a post on the last page drawing some parallels between it and TLJ.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Luke didn't try to kill his nephew while he slept?

What was he doing standing over Kylo with his lightsabre then? He had already committed to the mens rea of murder. Just because Kylo woke up before he could complete the act doesn't mean Luke didn't try to kill him.

Did you miss the entire scene where Luke says he changed his mind while standing over him?

Kylo doesn’t wake up before Luke has a chance to finish the job. He wakes up before Luke has a chance to close the lightsaber and understandably interprets things incorrectly.

Maybe you went to the restroom.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016

Also, expecting Luke to be the same person after the events of RotJ is unrealistic. That would scar just about anyone.

Your problem is, again, your own expectations being foiled. You expected Luke to be OT Luke and you were wrong... therefore it’s bad. That’s not how it should work.
Mark Hamill himself said that he didn't agree how he handled Luke. He has PSTD because he saved the galaxy and got his father to realize he was wrong? Laughable.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't say pulling the trigger. Can you read? Or are you just being intentionally obtuse.

It's not Lukes character. The guy who plays Luke says its not his character. I don't care if you agree with me. I said my opinion but you seem to take some serious offense to it.

Too bad for you.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Mark Hamill himself said that he didn't agree how he handled Luke. He has PSTD because he saved the galaxy and got his father to realize he was wrong? Laughable.

He’s paranoid about the power of the Dark Side because of what the Emperor did to him.

I couldn’t care less what Mark Hamilton thinks should’ve been done with Luke.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Did you miss the entire scene where Luke says he changed his mind while standing over him?

Kylo doesn’t wake up before Luke has a chance to finish the job. He wakes up before Luke has a chance to close the lightsaber and understandably interprets things incorrectly.

Maybe you didn't learn to read at a young age? You are seriously not even reading what I wrote and assuming I said something completely different. I will ignore you now.

Try again some other time. :)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The whole part is moot and means nothing, accomplishes nothing and doesn't drive the story. I am sure at one point Rey went to the bathroom too. That stuff happens. But it doesn't drive the story. It's pointless.

Disgaree that is is pointless: seeing the rich people who profit from the war, having Finn interact with a new character, getting Finn to fight Phasma were all meaningful.

It wasn't executed all that well but it wasn't pointless.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Essentially this new trilogy can be described in a one scene from this movie = Luke (Disney) milking out a space alien (Star Wars). Good f***ing riddance for this franchise. Glad someone enjoyed it, although I'm seriously doubting they're lying to themselves.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Kylo woke up, saw the light sabre, and correctly inferred that Luke had come into his room intent on killing him in his sleep. It's a pretty big plot point that kinda drives both Luke and Kylo's story.

This is where I start to suspect there is a segment of the fandom (or maybe just random internet people) who are having fun being as obtuse as possible and trolling people who are trying to actually discuss the film.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Disgaree that is is pointless: seeing the rich people who profit from the war, having Finn interact with a new character, getting Finn to fight Phasma were all meaningful.

It wasn't executed all that well but it wasn't pointless.
Meaningful to..... the viewers of the movie - bringing politics into it just to get higher movie ratings?

That's about all it accomplished.

Finn didn't HAVE to fight Phasma in this movie. It was completely forced and pointless and terrible that she died. Did not move the story along at all.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Maybe you didn't learn to read at a young age? You are seriously not even reading what I wrote and assuming I said something completely different. I will ignore you now.

Try again some other time. :)

You said he “tried to kill his nephew.” How did I fail to comprehend what you meant by that?

That is patently not what happened. Well, it is what happened from Kylo’s point of view, but it’s a misunderstanding. Luke considered killing Kylo. He was on the brink of doing it too. But he changed his mind. He didn’t go through with it.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Kylo woke up, saw the light sabre, and correctly inferred that Luke had come into his room intent on killing him in his sleep. It's a pretty big plot point that kinda drives both Luke and Kylo's story.

This is where I start to suspect there is a segment of the fandom (or maybe just random internet people) who are having fun being as obtuse as possible and trolling people who are trying to actually discuss the film.

It’s also a pretty big plot point that Luke had decided not to go through with it.

The disagreement here is not whether Luke had any intention of killing Kylo. It’s whether or not he went through with his decision and made the attempt. He did not.

It’s like you watched Kylo’s description of that night and decided that was the ultimate truth, despite it being clarified by Luke himself like 2 scenes later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad