Online Series: Star Wars Andor on D+

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Surprisingly watchable. It matches the tone of the better parts of Rogue One and you can almost forget at times that it's a Star Wars vehicle (well, that droid is one dreadful reminder).

Still had a few bugs, but nothing major like, why take the time to tie up the officer when you kill all of his men with explosives anyway? Also, I guess Andor was lying with the "I've been in this fight since I was 6 years old" in R1... Unless we're supposed to believe he is 6 when he flies away from his home planet - and anyway, he doesn't do much rebellion and looks like he's being recruited at the end of episode 3, so maybe he meant since I was 26 years old... . I'm sure some nerd can explain all this anyway!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Surprisingly watchable. It matches the tone of the better parts of Rogue One and you can almost forget at times that it's a Star Wars vehicle (well, that droid is one dreadful reminder).

Still had a few bugs, but nothing major like, why take the time to tie up the officer when you kill all of his men with explosives anyway? Also, I guess Andor was lying with the "I've been in this fight since I was 6 years old" in R1... Unless we're supposed to believe he is 6 when he flies away from his home planet - and anyway, he doesn't do much rebellion and looks like he's being recruited at the end of episode 3, so maybe he meant since I was 26 years old... . I'm sure some nerd can explain all this anyway!
We don't know Andor's full backstory yet, but I do feel inclined to point out that we don't see his parents (or really any adults that I can recall) in those flashback episodes. Just a colony full of kids and teenagers roughing it out in the wilderness. Something obviously happened to all the adults on his planet. It's pretty conceivable that whatever happened to them could link up with his line in Rogue One.

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
Man, after watching the first 3 episodes, I really hope they will develop a similar series based on the Coruscant underworld.
It's about time Disney realized that Star Wars has an entire galaxy that is more than just Tatooine and the Jedi.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
We don't know Andor's full backstory yet, but I do feel inclined to point out that we don't see his parents (or really any adults that I can recall) in those flashback episodes. Just a colony full of kids and teenagers roughing it out in the wilderness. Something obviously happened to all the adults on his planet. It's pretty conceivable that whatever happened to them could link up with his line in Rogue One.

You must be right. Still, "there was this event when I was 6 years old, and then I went 20-ish years chasing women, RobinHooding and worrying about my sister until - and through no agency of my own - I joined the Rebellion" doesn't have the same ring to it - but could be enough to justify him saying it.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
So got around to episode 3. And yeah it picks up really well from there. No real spoilers but Cassian getting on a ship felt like the first time in a long time I've seen a sequence like that really made me excited to see the adventure to come. I don't know if it was the music or the build up or both but I got chills. Can't wait to get more.

Anyway, won't word salad too much. It's still not 10/10 perfect but man is it good. I excuse a lot of the cheesy acting (but I can't stand the Mandalorian tattoine mechanic) and directing from the other shows cause, I mean it's Star Wars and it hasn't been as bad as the prequels. But this feels so next level from a performance and directing of actors perspective. It feels like the previous shows are, well, Disney + shows, while Andor is an HBO property.

Let's talk about how Star Wars brothels are now canon.
Damn, this is quite the endorsement. Can't wait to watch this, but I have House of Dragons to catch up on and Rings of Power on que. Andor may jump RoP on the que list, though!

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Damn, this is quite the endorsement. Can't wait to watch this, but I have House of Dragons to catch up on and Rings of Power on que. Andor may jump RoP on the que list, though!
I'll qualify it by saying that's relative. I wouldn't go so far as to say Andor is something like The Wire or early Game of Thrones. But it wouldn't feel out of place among the wider HBO lineup of originals either.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
It was mentioned at some point that there was a mining accident on the planet. Hence why there's no adults, just teenagers and kids.

Anyway, Rogue One is my favourite SW movie, and so far this series lives up to its legacy. Loving it. Not afraid to do a slow burn through the first two episodes. Not afraid to touch on dark themes either - woman uses sex to keep her jealous man onside whilst she engages in dodgy dealings, jealous boyfriend shops in woman's male friend to the cops. All ends in death and tears.

Reactions: I am not exposed

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty solid, but perhaps a little dry.

I like how it feels cohesive and focused, where as previous SW offerings (OWK and BOBF) felt like messy patchworks.

I didn't like Rogue One, so maybe this show won't work for me, but as of now I'm looking forward to watching more.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It was mentioned at some point that there was a mining accident on the planet. Hence why there's no adults, just teenagers and kids.
"Mining accident" is Republic/Imperial keyword for cover up. The destruction of Jedha City by the Death Star in Rogue One is called a "mining disaster."

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Skarsgard's character also mentions Cassian's dad being hung by the Empire, so my guess would be his parents probably spoke out about shitty working conditions or something and the Empire just wiped them all out but the kids survived somehow.

Reactions: JBeast

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Skarsgard's character also mentions Cassian's dad being hung by the Empire, so my guess would be his parents probably spoke out about shitty working conditions or something and the Empire just wiped them all out but the kids survived somehow.
I'm thinking his "dad" in that sense is the guy who was with Marva in the flashback scene, not his biological father.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You must be right. Still, "there was this event when I was 6 years old, and then I went 20-ish years chasing women, RobinHooding and worrying about my sister until - and through no agency of my own - I joined the Rebellion" doesn't have the same ring to it - but could be enough to justify him saying it.
"I've been in this fight since I was 6 years old.... not uniterpurted!"

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Reminded me of back in the day when the networks would do the series pilot as a "movie" which would then be split up in two parts in reruns. Miami Vice did that.

D+ should also have a movie edit with the first 3 episodes.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If I were evaluating this show like an NHL prospect, I would say it has a high floor, but a low ceiling.

With the show's look, tone, acting and cohesive story, it can't really be terrible, but it also can't be great.

There's nothing particularly creative or clever about the show thus far.

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just watched episode one and thought it was cool. The narrating will take some time to get used to, though.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I cant be the only one who see the similarities between these two? Both in over their heads, got most of their men killed and shown little respect.

andor.jpg

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I like the slow burn nature of this show, but it does seem to be moving pretty darn slow right now. We essentially had a three-episode prelude to establish setting and characters, and then we get another episode that's all about establishing new settings and characters. Granted, it does seem to be setting up for plenty of drama and a plot acceleration next week.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I like the slow burn nature of this show, but it does seem to be moving pretty darn slow right now. We essentially had a three-episode prelude to establish setting and characters, and then we get another episode that's all about establishing new settings and characters. Granted, it does seem to be setting up for plenty of drama and a plot acceleration next week.
The structure so far kind of reminds me of TCW when they'd have 3 and sometimes 4 episode arcs you could almost watch as mini-movies. Not sure if that's by design or just part of the slow burn nature of the series.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
The structure so far kind of reminds me of TCW when they'd have 3 and sometimes 4 episode arcs you could almost watch as mini-movies. Not sure if that's by design or just part of the slow burn nature of the series.
I heard an interview with Tony Gilroy and it's by design to have 3 episode arcs. They even attached the same director for each batch of 3.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished the latest episode and enjoyed it. I find it interesting seeing the pre-rebellion state of affairs on both sides... the arrogance and dismissiveness of the security council that allows the rebellion to take root and future rebels organizing while trying to avoid suspicion and keep their day jobs. There's a Cold War-like tension and paranoia, especially among the would-be traitors. It feels a little different from the usual SW state of affairs, in which the sides are more clearly drawn.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad