Online Series: Star Trek : Lower Decks Season 3

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I liked the injokes (however--I still think they got the idea from the Orville--cause that is really how that show was pitched)

Looks like they will be adding the Vulcan woman to the cast season

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The prior criticism was warranted, however, as you said, the show has really improved.

Unlike Discovery and Picard, I can watch Lower Decks and not feel as I though I am being lectured too.

I like the call backs to previous Star Trek series and the extending of the lore after Nemesis.

This makes Lower Decks fun to watch, unlike Discovery and Picard which is a chore.

I feel the exact same way. Lower Decks is my favorite of the new treks partly for that reason. It's fun, and while the middle of season 2 had a few hiccups, overall, I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Guardian17

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I tried watching the first two episodes of season 2. I thought it was still terrible. Didn't see any improvement at all.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I tried watching the first two episodes of season 2. I thought it was still terrible. Didn't see any improvement at all.

Coincidentally, those are the only two that I've watched so far, as well. I agree fully on the first episode, which was dumb and felt no different than a Season 1 episode. I actually thought that the second episode was the least terrible episode so far (including Season 1), though. I actually smirked at a few jokes and Mariner got overruled and put in her place a few times. That said, the number of references was still cringy. Overall, to me, it was an improvement, but I thought the same about one of Season 1's episodes and that ended up being an anomaly.

Edit: Yeah, Episode 3 went back to dumb.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
"Starfleet is basically a pseudo navy"

"No, it's not!"

Oh, my poor Boimler. Yes, yes, it is.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I liked revisiting DS9 again.

Really like how the writers are treating Boimler as a person instead of a goof.

Mariner has also been humanized and I like how her and Jen are portrayed as a couple.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I liked revisiting DS9 again.

Really like how the writers are treating Boimler as a person instead of a goof.

Mariner has also been humanized and I like how her and Jen are portrayed as a couple.

Agreed. Ever since they made Mariner responsible for her faults and Boimler more than just a screw-up the series has really picked up. I used to watch and mostly just wait for the Rutherford/Tendi plot

Also since about halfway through last season there's been a tonal shift from being "a wacky comedy show full of Star Trek references" to being "a legitimate Star Trek show that also happens to be funny"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Agreed. Ever since they made Mariner responsible for her faults and Boimler more than just a screw-up the series has really picked up. I used to watch and mostly just wait for the Rutherford/Tendi plot

Also since about halfway through last season there's been a tonal shift from being "a wacky comedy show full of Star Trek references" to being "a legitimate Star Trek show that also happens to be funny"

my reaction as well

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
2 random thoughts after the last episode

1) though I often hate "we need to explain this tiny random flavor thing that could use an explanation but doesn't require it for the show to function" things (I'm looking at you, Star Wars and your endless need to recontextualize things such as introducing midichlorians to explain the Force), I'd kind of like an explanation for why Jennifer has a human first name. An in-universe one, I mean. Because apparently the meta explanation is that Tawney Newsome has latitude to improvise her lines and she made up the name so Mariner could shout "MOVE IT, JENNIFER!" in an episode without realizing it would refer to an Andorian character.

2) I liked how subtly they played the fact that the Orion guy was like a bit of a parallel to Worf as "the member of a species raised by humans who bases his cultural identity off of an idealized/outside-observed perspective of the species when the real one doesn't necessarily track the same way" once they reveal that trait of his character.

I feel like season 1 would've had him give that away in like 3 minutes and then spent the rest of the episode with Boimler or Mariner going "get it? Do you get it? It's like Worf! This is like the alternate Worf!" and then called him "Worf" all episode and made a bunch of episode-specific references to Worf's character every time Orion-guy does something. Instead it's simply a late-episode reveal that contextualizes his behavior better and gives us a launching pad for Tendi (which was one of the most hilariously awesome parts of the episode). Much better.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That was an amazing episode. It felt SO GOOD being back on DS9. And not only did we get DS9, but we got Nana and Armin back in their respective roles. Their voice work was a bit jarring at first because of how different they sound, but once I remembered almost 20 years has passed it was easy to get used to.

We also got mentions of the Dominion War, and some small world building about the aftermath of it. I believe this is the first time the Dominion War has been relevant to a plot since the end of DS9 (Not counting that one episode of Voyager where Torres and Chekote found out their friends were massacred by the Jem'Hadar. Can't remember if they mentioned the Dominion war, or the Jem'Hadar or not though)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This week's episode may have been one of the best of the series.

"What is that?"

"It's a Sky-Snake!"

"If everything here can fly, wouldn't you just call it a snake!?!"

Brilliant writing! :nod:

Nolan Bombgardener

Dec 23, 2005
This week's episode may have been one of the best of the series.

"What is that?"

"It's a Sky-Snake!"

"If everything here can fly, wouldn't you just call it a snake!?!"

Brilliant writing! :nod:
"Computer, Klingon blood wine."
"You're on Q'onoS, it's just blood wine."

"Computer, Romulan ale."
"You're on Romulus, it's just ale."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad