Online Series: Star Trek : Lower Decks Season 3

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
That's not a high bar to clear. :D

I thought season 1 of this show had potential, but honestly the two lead characters were too annoying.

I agree with you.

It's not perfect, but, unlike Picard or Discovery, I can watch it and not feel like I'm being lectured to. :thumbu:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This show grew on me.

By far more entertaining than Discovery.
I liked half the show, but the half I disliked really overwhelmed it since it was the 2 main characters. The Tendi and Rutherford plots were vastly superior to the Mariner and Boimler plots and should have been the basis for the show.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Because I'm a masochist I'm watching the 2nd season premiere. It's the same garbage. Mariner is basically identical to Burnham except that because she's in a comedy show we cop to her mary-sue-ness and pretend it's supposed to be funny.

I also agree that Tendi and Rutherford should be the basis of the show. They're actually engaging and likable characters, so that helps.

And then in the first act of this episode we get the same "look at us! References!" that they masquerade as 'jokes'. Gary Mitchell! Gul Madred and the lights! Love us because we tell you about things that you also love!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I may watch it once the season is over. That way, I can get through it in a few days instead of making the discomfort last for 10 weeks.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I wasn't missing Boimler. I realized I was actually enjoying his absence.

And yeah. Mariner's just annoying. The other two are a lot closer to the premise of the show being the young kids totally absorbed in their own lives they take no notice of what's happening around them...although the green chick is a little much herself sometimes.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
After realizing that for whatever reason my PVR didn't pick the episode up when it aired on Thursday I caught it on demand.

1) Tendi and Rutherford remain the only redeeming parts of the show. Even Tendi taking Mariner along on her mission made Mariner a little more tolerable because she actually got some comeuppance for her faults (Briefly). Rutherford's plot was a bit of a lame resolution, but I kind of liked that they chose to thumb their nose at providing a real and proper explanation for what was going on (at least one that we get to hear). But I think I really like Tendi a lot. Even if her chipper/hyper nature can get a little over the top sometimes.

2) Boimler without Mariner is still kind of annoying and his whole plot is motivated by some insane stupidity that seems to only exist to drive it forward (so... he refuses to correct the computer's inability to recognize him because he doesn't want to admit that there's a glitch because he left and came back even though he was specifically told about that by multiple people?

3) Robert Duncan McNeil's voice seems like it's changed a lot in the last 20 years. I was sure they got a bad soundalike for Paris' lines until his name popped up in the credits.

4) Seriously, if they just jettisoned Mariner from the cast this show might be more enjoyable. I don't understand how the writers thought that she would end up being a likable character. She's not even a character that's enjoyable to hate. She's just a collection of terrible writing tropes mashed together and given humanoid form.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
4) Seriously, if they just jettisoned Mariner from the cast this show might be more enjoyable. I don't understand how the writers thought that she would end up being a likable character. She's not even a character that's enjoyable to hate. She's just a collection of terrible writing tropes mashed together and given humanoid form.

I think that the writers assumed that we'd like her simply because she's outspoken, independent, rebellious and funny, enough that we'd excuse her of representing everything that Starfleet isn't. They did something similar (minus the funny) with Burnham. Both characters' worst traits (self-righteousness, disrespect for rules and regulations, bossiness, rudeness, etc.) are routinely excused, if not shown positively. In Burnham's case, it's because she's always right. In Mariner's, it's because it's a comedy and that's her schtick. That schtick gets old quickly, though.

Reactions: Guardian17

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Season 2 has changed my mind. This show is a banger.

There has been some really good episodes this season. And I think the inclusion of the Pakleds as the big bad is a master stroke.

Two of the biggest changes though is the influx of 'morale, meanings, and messages' episodes, which have been really well done.

And then Mariners armor finally cracking and Boimler growing a spine. These two things have been the biggest factors in changing my mind.

And the comedy has been really well done too.

"Has his Kingdom come!!??" :laugh::laugh:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Season 2 has changed my mind. This show is a banger.

There has been some really good episodes this season. And I think the inclusion of the Pakleds as the big bad is a master stroke.

Two of the biggest changes though is the influx of 'morale, meanings, and messages' episodes, which have been really well done.

And then Mariners armor finally cracking and Boimler growing a spine. These two things have been the biggest factors in changing my mind.

And the comedy has been really well done too.

"Has his Kingdom come!!??" :laugh::laugh:

This last episode is easily the best one they've done so far. Genuinely funny.

I agree with both.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mariner remains a garbage character who constantly gets a pass on her awful behavior because it either works out in her favor in the end or because we're supposed to think that being a complete knob makes her endearing and cool.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Mariner remains a garbage character who constantly gets a pass on her awful behavior because it either works out in her favor in the end or because we're supposed to think that being a complete knob makes her endearing and cool.

Not sure which show you have been watching, but they've done a complete 180 with her as a character. This entire season she has failed time and time again, and it's normally been Boimler or another one of the main characters to the rescue. Did you not see the season finale, they had a C or D teir character save Mariner from certain death. This echo's what they've been doing with her character the entire season, that is making her fallible and very, very human, having to rely on others to solve problems.

And take a look at Boimler. This entire season they've been building him up from suck-up loser, to competent, smart, caring hero. The writers even put a subtle, and extremely clever hint into the show to potray this transition. After he get's back from the Titan, the Cheritos seemingly doesn't recognize him and won't open doors for him, acknowledge his presence at the replicators, nothing. One of the characters mention that he needs to get his perms reset, or something to that effect. It is after this episode that Boimler begins transitioning into a competent, smart, Star Fleet officer, while keeping all of his traits that make him a fun guy to be around.

I have, and continue to, eat crow over my prior criticism of this show. If the writers and show runners keep this up, Lower Decks may go on to become one of the best ST series in the franchise.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Not sure which show you have been watching, but they've done a complete 180 with her as a character. This entire season she has failed time and time again, and it's normally been Boimler or another one of the main characters to the rescue. Did you not see the season finale, they had a C or D teir character save Mariner from certain death. This echo's what they've been doing with her character the entire season, that is making her fallible and very, very human, having to rely on others to solve problems.

And take a look at Boimler. This entire season they've been building him up from suck-up loser, to competent, smart, caring hero. The writers even put a subtle, and extremely clever hint into the show to potray this transition. After he get's back from the Titan, the Cheritos seemingly doesn't recognize him and won't open doors for him, acknowledge his presence at the replicators, nothing. One of the characters mention that he needs to get his perms reset, or something to that effect. It is after this episode that Boimler begins transitioning into a competent, smart, Star Fleet officer, while keeping all of his traits that make him a fun guy to be around.

I have, and continue to, eat crow over my prior criticism of this show. If the writers and show runners keep this up, Lower Decks may go on to become one of the best ST series in the franchise.

The prior criticism was warranted, however, as you said, the show has really improved.

Unlike Discovery and Picard, I can watch Lower Decks and not feel as I though I am being lectured too.

I like the call backs to previous Star Trek series and the extending of the lore after Nemesis.

This makes Lower Decks fun to watch, unlike Discovery and Picard which is a chore.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to attempt to re-watch this. When does it start getting better?

Last time I gave up after the first episode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad