News Article: Staples Center to be renamed starting December 25th

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Unsurprising since they were sold to a private a few years back. They are wasting their time trying to acquire office depot when they should be completely refocusing and rebranding instead.

As far as the name, I didn't think I would get used to the Great Western Forum either, but I did pretty quickly. Could be because I grew up before naming rights were a thing I suppose.

I might try and grab tickets for the first game. I was at the 8-1 shellacking of the Ducks in the preseason, which I think was the last hockey game played at the Forum. IIRC the last couple of preseason games that year were at a different arena, then Frozen Fury. I had transferred over my seats so I went to the first Kings game at Staples, I still have the CD they handed out still wrapped in its case, the program, and all that kind of stuff.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Great Western was (is?) a bank. Staples is a dying brand, so not surprised at a new naming rights buyer. My initial reaction to crypto.com is WTF. But c’est la vie and I guess it could have been something possibly worse like an online sports betting company.

Reactions: Dexter Sinister

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
upload_2021-11-17_2-14-8.gif

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I saw this coming, meaning Staples will lose the naming rights. I’ve seen a handful of stores permanently close down. I grew up buying school supplies from Staples and Office Depot. Now it’s just sad that both companies are dying.
I mean technically they lost the rights in 2019. And if you're not Amazon you're probably going to die in retail. Crappy but true. Get used to the idea of your kids getting their law degree at Costco. #owmyballs

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I mean technically they lost the rights in 2019. And if you're not Amazon you're probably going to die in retail. Crappy but true. Get used to the idea of your kids getting their law degree at Costco. #owmyballs
Even Amazon will see its days behind them eventually.Even Amazon can't out run inflation and raising minimum wage costs and one day competition.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Even Amazon will see its days behind them eventually.Even Amazon can't out run inflation and raising minimum wage costs and one day competition.
Maybe. Minimum wage hasn't increased in 13 years, in no small part to the absurdly rich being able to pour untold millions into lobbyiing for their interests. Anyway getting off topic, the name crypto.com blows.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Dont care and no one else should care...really who gives a rip about corporate naming rights?

IS there any name they would have given that would have made you fist pump and give a hell yeah?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
And if you're not Amazon you're probably going to die in retail. Crappy but true.
People used to say the same thing about Walmart.

There's many retailers thriving right now.

It's not Amazon that's killing Staples, or the local mall, it's the internet. People buy online now.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I could call the Forum the "Great Western" Forum, because it's in the west, and hockey is pretty great.

I've never liked Staples Center. I still call the building in Anaheim the Pond.

But this name is just the worst. I'm not using it. Might as well call it "Magic Douchemoney Scam Artist Arena"

I think I'm just gonna call it The Castle and up everyone else's tailpipe for all I care.

Reactions: Reaper45 and Bandit

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
People used to say the same thing about Walmart.

There's many retailers thriving right now.

It's not Amazon that's killing Staples, or the local mall, it's the internet. People buy online now.
Yeah absolutely, but most of that buying online is through Amazon. Particularly if you're talking about printer ink or paper, or whatever else places like Staples sell. 1-2 delivery on practically anything is tough to beat.

Reactions: SniperOnTheWing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad