Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Honestly, the Hurricanes obviously have a good team, but on paper they're not really stacked or anything. They don't have a Matthews or Panarin or Pastrnak or anything like that. I don't think their talent is in a different galaxy from the Islanders really. I do think they're assembled more judiciously, though, with a clearer overall vision as to what they want their team to be like. Everything moves in the same direction with them, whereas you can't really say that about the Islanders.
I dunno man. They may not have a mega star like the guys you mentioned above but they have four excellent lines and three excellent d pairings. And obviously their goalie is on fire now. Kuznetsov and Staal on your bottom 6? That's depth...

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I dunno man. They may not have a mega star like the guys you mentioned above but they have four excellent lines and three excellent d pairings. And obviously their goalie is on fire now. Kuznetsov and Staal on your bottom 6? That's depth...
If mean, if you want to split hairs, maybe you could argue it's a little bit better. But, is Staal just miles better than Pageau, theoretically speaking? The production is pretty identical. Goalies you'd have to say are in the Isles favor. The biggest difference is that they generate offense from their defense and they get more production from their 3rd line wingers. Otherwise...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I mean you had Toews, Leddy, Boychuk, Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield... STACKED.
I agree with your post, and I'll "raise you" by pointing out that when we had that defense I was calling for an upgrade on Leddy and/or Toews because I didn't feel the team had a truly elite offensive D/PP point man.

Reactions: bstash19

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Everyone loves to talk about the offense but the main issue here is the defense under Trotz was elite. It is just average now. I mean you had Toews, Leddy, Boychuk, Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield... STACKED. Rielly and Bortuzzo just ain't strong enough in important playoff minutes.
The main issue is that under Trotz, the GM, coach and players all had a unified identity and the objective and how to obtain it was crystal clear. Now, the team feels like a collection of players and the GM is patching cracks as they appear trying to keep it from splintering.

Yes, the players matter, but the overall philosophy behind the team has to be stout. It's how a Boston can lose players and still be successful, while a Columbus won't.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The main issue is that under Trotz, the GM, coach and players all had a unified identity and the objective and how to obtain it was crystal clear. Now, the team feels like a collection of players and the GM is patching cracks as they appear trying to keep it from splintering.

Yes, the players matter, but the overall philosophy behind the team has to be stout. It's how a Boston can lose players and still be successful, while a Columbus won't.
Good point, the identity is a shell of it’s former self and it’s obvious the personnel do not fit what it once was.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't think it's the right move but I've had a sneaking suspicion 33 yo Marchessault is coming to LI this off season with VGK unlikely to re-sign.

I love Marchessault but this team needs to stay far away. He's old already and there's no reason to add a guy like him. If this was 5 years ago I'd love the add.

McDavid is overrated, he even could not beat the LAK, so he wouldn't beat the Canes.
Apart from Isles I'm having fun to watch early exits for Leafs and Oilers, unfortunately I will have to wait until 2nd round to watch Rags beaten down

The Oilers are 2-1 in their series and McDavid has 9 points...

I suspect Roy may roll the same lineup in game 4 with the exception of starting Varly and figure that will make the difference. But, I wouldn't mind him rolling the dice down 3-0 and going with the best skill/speed lineup he has available. Sit Martin and Fasching and maybe somebody else. Dress Holmstrom and Ishkakov and maybe Gauthier. Sit Bortuzzo for (gulp) Aho. Not much to lose at this point.

This is a rare time where I'm okay with throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

If mean, if you want to split hairs, maybe you could argue it's a little bit better. But, is Staal just miles better than Pageau, theoretically speaking? The production is pretty identical. Goalies you'd have to say are in the Isles favor. The biggest difference is that they generate offense from their defense and they get more production from their 3rd line wingers. Otherwise...

I think you're right. The Islanders were good with the identity they had, as some of those players got older and less effective we didn't see the identity change or any roster changes to indicate a shift. Lambert came in and seemed to be stuck between two ideas on how to play, and even if he did have a clear way he wanted to play he didn't have the pieces required (or his idea just doesn't work).

With Roy I feel more confident about the approach and the way he wants the team playing. Time will tell with that, but the veteran guys on this team who have slowed down used to be the backbone of the identity for the team. While the bottom six guys in Martin, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Komarov, etc. are just bottom six guys, they were leaned on very heavily to help implement the strategy that led to success. On the back end the team lost their two most mobile defenders and replaced them with lesser versions.

They were hard to play against, every game was going to be a grind against the Islanders. Now as those players have gotten older, have slowed, and the overall strategy from the coaching staff has changed, it's becoming a grind for the Islanders to win.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
McDavid is overrated, he even could not beat the LAK, so he wouldn't beat the Canes.
Apart from Isles I'm having fun to watch early exits for Leafs and Oilers, unfortunately I will have to wait until 2nd round to watch Rags beaten down

Mcdavid is the most talented and best player since Lemieux.

Reactions: BillD

Richie Daggers Crime

Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The Islanders were good with the identity they had, as some of those players got older and less effective we didn't see the identity change or any roster changes to indicate a shift.
Part of the problem is simply they're the Islanders. The NHL isn't equitable. They have to catch as catch can. It's way harder to pivot or offramp than it is for other teams. Thus, the long contracts. Not saying that criticism for overcorrection on that is unwarranted, but at the same time, it wasn't just done without some degree of discernment.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I underestimated how good Carolina is. They, to me, are the clear favorites in the East for the cup. Not a single mistake all game. They literally play mistake free hockey. Not only that, jordan staal is a HELL of a hockey player. True shutdown centerman. Im praying for a miracle on Tuesday like all of you but this hurricanes team is for real. It just is what it is quite frankly. Going 6-7 games with this team would be a statement in itself.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
And one other thing, the negativity on here is a little much. Carolina dismantling the Isles speaks more to how their built vs how we are built. Thats it. We do not need to ship out every player on the roster. Are we in need of some upgrades in key spots? Yes. Are we a lottery team? Just stop it already. Some of you would love if that were the case. This team is outgunned vs Carolina. Thats it. Its not Islanders specific, because I dont see a team in the East stopping Carolina the way they are built. We need to be more objective here. Sorokin will figure it out. Goaltending is not the issue with this team. Its lack of reliable bottom 6 scoring. Outside of Maclean, the Isles have to get younger and stronger on the bottom 6.

Im not as down on this team as most of you are. Carolina is doing to the Islanders what they are everually going to do to any team that faces them. They are a machine. Sometimes you have to tip your cap. Its not all doom and gloom people.

The Isles were going to need all the luck they good garner in this series. That was always the case.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
And one other thing, the negativity on here is a little much. Carolina dismantling the Isles speaks more to how their built vs how we are built. Thats it. We do not need to ship out every player on the roster. Are we in need of some upgrades in key spots? Yes. Are we a lottery team? Just stop it already. Some of you would love if that were the case. This team is outgunned vs Carolina. Thats it. Its not Islanders specific, because I dont see a team in the East stopping Carolina the way they are built. We need to be more objective here. Sorokin will figure it out. Goaltending is not the issue with this team. Its lack of reliable bottom 6 scoring. Outside of Maclean, the Isles have to get younger and stronger on the bottom 6.

Im not as down on this team as most of you are. Carolina is doing to the Islanders what they are everually going to do to any team that faces them. They are a machine. Sometimes you have to tip your cap. Its not all doom and gloom people.

The Isles were going to need all the luck they good garner in this series. That was always the case.
So Canes are "built better" than Isles and if it's Rags then they would be built better or if it's Bruins they would be build better, if it's TML....
Your excuse is lame, almonst Lamebert grade

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
So Canes are "built better" than Isles and if it's Rags then they would be built better or if it's Bruins they would be build better, if it's TML....
Your excuse is lame, almonst Lamebert grade
I mean, yeah. Thats exactly what I would say. Isnt that on the GM?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I dont see a team in the East stopping Carolina the way they are built.
I'm not disagreeing with your overall post, however I do think BOS would be a tough out for them. BOS has great goaltending and good depth and coaching. And I feel like the 3 best players in a BOS-CAR series would be on BOS.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Are we seriously still having conversations in here about Carolina "dismantling" the Isles? We must be watching an entirely different series. I genuinely feel we have been the better team, albeit slightly in 2 of the 4 games, about even in one and in the one game we were significantly outplayed we led 3-0. Even Rod Brindamour who is usually complaining about anything and everything said after the game yesterday that every single game could have gone either way. This series with a few different bounces, calls, or lineup decisions (not starting Sorokin) could easily be 2-2 and possibly 3-1 Isles. The notion that Carolina is destroying us is nonsense.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Are we seriously still having conversations in here about Carolina "dismantling" the Isles? We must be watching an entirely different series. I genuinely feel we have been the better team, albeit slightly in 2 of the 4 games, about even in one and in the one game we were significantly outplayed we led 3-0. Even Rod Brindamour who is usually complaining about anything and everything said after the game yesterday that every single game could have gone either way. This series with a few different bounces, calls, or lineup decisions (not starting Sorokin) could easily be 2-2 and possibly 3-1 Isles. The notion that Carolina is destroying us is nonsense.
Who cares? Is winning the moral victory battle that important to you? We didn’t destroy Pittsburgh in 2019 either, still a sweep.

Reactions: bstash19

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Who cares? Is winning the moral victory battle that important to you? We didn’t destroy Pittsburgh in 2019 either, still a sweep.
Is a "moral victory" important to me? No. But I personally think it is stupid for Isles fans to be saying their own team is being dismantled, killed, destroyed and other like terminology. Especially when it is just not true. It seems to indicate a group of the fanbase who are just a bunch of haters and want to knock the team and be negative. 99% of the fans I was around yesterday who actually went to the game were loud, supportive and cheering the team on the entire game.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Its funny how Bortuzzo got his first point on an OT winner with the season on the line

bring the energy for game 5. Lets extend it again

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
However this series ends up, I just want to note that I think Anders Lee, Pierre Engvall and Kyle MacLean had fine playoff performances this year, and that Lee was a pleasant surprise.
I think Roy has made me love Engvall a lot more, and he's been a very good player. He won't be Val Nichuskin, but he really reminds me of Kulemin with the speed. I love it. My next isles jersey will be of Pierre. He's become a favorite of mine.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
We’re not the first out, so that tickles my pickle a little bit

I think Roy has made me love Engvall a lot more, and he's been a very good player. He won't be Val Nichuskin, but he really reminds me of Kulemin with the speed. I love it. My next isles jersey will be of Pierre. He's become a favorite of mine.
Engvall had been MUCH better these playoffs. He’s still not quite “looking” for contact, but he’s actually going into areas you need to get to to play hockey

If he can play this way the duration of his contract, it will look great

Reactions: Osakahaus

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We’re not the first out, so that tickles my pickle a little bit

Engvall had been MUCH better these playoffs. He’s still not quite “looking” for contact, but he’s actually going into areas you need to get to to play hockey

If he can play this way the duration of his contract, it will look great
Engvall also beat out at least five icings, and he's such a good player when he's there. I get the hatred for Pierre but he's such a useful player on his A game.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Engvall also beat out at least five icings, and he's such a good player when he's there. I get the hatred for Pierre but he's such a useful player on his A game.
If he plays the body even a little bit he can is a VERY effective 3rd liner

If not he becomes a liability

Reactions: Potvottier

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I will say it’s frustrating, NYI have been in every game, much like years prior. Start Varly in game 3, that’s likely a win. Could’ve stole game 2, played week enough to win game 1.

A shame, but it also suggests that this team can hang with the best. With more talent, NYI takes this series.

Reactions: Tres Peleches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad