Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This sort of thing frustrates me if Iskhakov is in.

If Martin is out of the lineup and Iskhakov is in, why has Iskhakov in the minors all year instead of being brought up much sooner. He's drawing in over all the other extras we carried this year? It means they think he gives the team the best chance to succeed now and I wonder why he wasn't brought up sooner if that is the case. Did he really develop much more in the past two months that suddenly makes him the best option?

I know that they want to keep all the assets that they can but there were opportunities to bring him up this year and they didn't do it until the last game of the season.
Because its being stubborn

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

If Martin is out of the lineup and Iskhakov is in, why has Iskhakov in the minors all year instead of being brought up much sooner. He's drawing in over all the other extras we carried this year? It means they think he gives the team the best chance to succeed now and I wonder why he wasn't brought up sooner if that is the case. Did he really develop much more in the past two months that suddenly makes him the best option?

I know that they want to keep all the assets that they can but there were opportunities to bring him up this year and they didn't do it until the last game of the season.
I think this is unfortunately Lamoriello’s M.O. in regards to managing depth. If he brings up Iskhakov earlier, someone needs to get waived. Although he had no problem waiving Gauthier, but he must think a second year on a deal makes them safe to pass thru waivers.

Reactions: Potvottier

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Iskhakov didn’t develop any more in 1 appearance in Game 82. Desperation, and Wahlstrom & Gauthier sufficiently demonstrating to Roy that they can’t play in the NHL suddenly makes Iskhakov look like a better option.

In my opinion, Holmstrom should never be the one to sit in favor of Martin, Fasching, Iskhakov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glorydays22

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The people ob this board are hilarious. We have MBAs who know what the owner who never speaks to the media is thinking, wannabe GMs, goalie consultants, media critics, and sports psychologists.

We’re rubbing elbows with greatness here..

I fancy myself to be all of those things.

And that's why I love being at these boards so much.

It's the only place I can really be any of them...

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019

You can handle sending out slower players versus most teams in the league.

You can't versus the Hurricanes. You need players who can pass and skate. Iskhakov can do both.

Reactions: ekill08x

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You can handle sending out slower players versus most teams in the league.

You can't versus the Hurricanes. You need players who can pass and skate. Iskhakov can do both.

While true, there were opportunities this year to get him into games without losing players. If he can pass and skate better than Martin he should've at least seen some real action at some point this year.

I don't think the slower version of this team is better than the faster one, no matter who they're playing.

Reactions: Osakahaus

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
While true, there were opportunities this year to get him into games without losing players. If he can pass and skate better than Martin he should've at least seen some real action at some point this year.

I don't think the slower version of this team is better than the faster one, no matter who they're playing.
I don't disagree. I've wanted Iskhakov in for awhile.

But I can at least understand why the coaching staff played Martin and the like against teams like Philly and Montreal. You can play them with Martin in the lineup and not be killed.

Against Carolina, you need your 18 best skaters in.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't disagree. I've wanted Iskhakov in for awhile.

But I can at least understand why the coaching staff played Martin and the like against teams like Philly and Montreal. You can play them with Martin in the lineup and not be killed.

Against Carolina, you need your 18 best skaters in.
Not just skaters but guys who can handle the puck. Ruslan Iskhakov isn’t a great skater, he looked weak on his skates vs Pittsburgh. But Iskhakov’s best asset is the puck on his stick. He is a superior passer. Martin handles the puck like a live grenade. Quick puck movement is key against a team like Carolina that plays a fast game. Maybe Isl can bring that.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Not just skaters but guys who can handle the puck. Ruslan Iskhakov isn’t a great skater, he looked weak on his skates vs Pittsburgh. But Iskhakov’s best asset is the puck on his stick. He is a superior passer. Martin handles the puck like a live grenade. Quick puck movement is key against a team like Carolina that plays a fast game. Maybe Isl can bring that.
Eh, small sample size, but that Pitt game, he was superior at passing to no one, that’s for sure.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
I have to imagine its not totally arena availability tonight as to why there is just 2 games. The league must have opted to not play a couple of other series due to the NFL draft. Normally we are in the 2nd round by 4/25

They definitely have pushed back the playoffs since they resumed a normal schedule after COVID. The playoffs used to start around 4/10. Last year it was 4/17, and This year it was 4/20.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Eh, small sample size, but that Pitt game, he was superior at passing to no one, that’s for sure.
He couldn’t stay on his skates in that game. He also got an assist on a power play goal that night, so nobody should draw a final conclusion off Game 82.

You have to have followed Iskhakov in Bridgeport to see that he can handle the puck.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013

It's possible that Ishkatov wasn't a favorite of the Bridgeport coaching staff for reasons but he really impressed Roy (who hadn't seen him first hand before) since coming up here.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I fancy myself to be all of those things.

And that's why I love being at these boards so much.

It's the only place I can really be any of them...
Yup, you and me and every single person on this board, whether they admit it or not. I just try to limit my GMing in GDTs. ;)

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Holmstrom and Engvall were frustrating the last game because they do bring things that the roster lacks, but they were both pretty bad the other night.
But at the same time, the entire roster gotta pick up the slack. Its not good.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
You have to have followed Iskhakov in Bridgeport to see that he can handle the puck.
I have, boss. Even since UConn days. While not having sat through every single game, I’ve seen quite a bit. He is no Martin St Louis. Don’t get your hopes up, IMO.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I have, boss. Even since UConn days. While not having sat through every single game, I’ve seen quite a bit. He is no Martin St Louis. Don’t get your hopes up, IMO.
I’m not. I’ve been watching him for 2 years in the AHL. I’m simply stating what I think is his best weapon. I’ve never called for him to be. Brought up to the NHL. I doubt he has much of a career in the bigs. But if quick, accurate puck movement is what is needed against the Hurricanes, Iskhakov is better at that than all but 2 or 3 guys on this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad