Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I mean, you have mighty mites like Seth Jarvis bowling over our guys like old man Clutterbuck. Who are the pansies again?
Seth Jarvis is the UGLIEST sports player i've seen and i've seen some faces that only a mother could love like Tyreek Hill, Bryce Elder, and Jake Guentzel

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I did. I didn’t come on here and post it. But I definitely said it to my friends.

He’s not mentally tough enough, in my opinion. He lets in the soft goals that kill the team, the series losing goal in game 6 against Carolina last year, to name one example.

I hope that he proves me wrong, but I don’t think he’s a big game goalie.
So mental toughness is now the buzzword on HFIsles? :laugh:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Never let an opportunity pass by to bang on someone underproducing his contract.
Sorokin better be back to top 10, if not 5 goalie in the NHL when he’s making $8.25M starting next season. The Isles paid for a Vezina caliber goalie, not the one that showed up this year. He’s ’acceptable’ at $4M this year.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sorokin better be back to top 10, if not 5 goalie in the NHL when he’s making $8.25M starting next season. The Isles paid for a Vezina caliber goalie, not the one that showed up this year. He’s ’acceptable’ at $4M this year.
I rest my case.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I feel like Varlamov wasn't the problem? Makes no sense going to Sorokin at this point. The hockey strategy needs to be updated.

Of course Varly isn't the problem. The defense and forwards are the problem.

The difference is that you can swap out a goalie and get nearly the same performance (or maybe even better)...With the hope that it changes the attitude of the team. However you can't swap out any of the top 6 forwards (or defense) and get the same potential from any of the AHL call ups.

Overall Roy is just gasping at straws for a team that will struggle to win 1 game in this series. The problem is so much bigger than what goalie plays tomorrow night. This is an overall roster and GM problem.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Of course Varly isn't the problem. The defense and forwards are the problem.

The difference is that you can swap out a goalie and get nearly the same performance (or maybe even better)...With the hope that it changes the attitude of the team. However you can't swap out any of the top 6 forwards (or defense) and get the same potential from any of the AHL call ups.

Overall Roy is just gasping at straws for a team that will struggle to win 1 game in this series. The problem is so much bigger than what goalie plays tomorrow night. This is an overall roster and GM problem.
I agree with your premise that this team may not win one game during this series. At the same time, we obviously should have won game two. It’s also clear that other than for a few brief stretches, we’ve been outplayed in each of the two games.

Do teams still win games and occasionally series when they’ve been outplayed? Sure, especially if a goalie gets hot. The teams that are fortunate enough to have that occur, never progress too much further in the playoffs if the rest of the team is clearly less talented and less driven. That’s where the isles are.

I hope we scratch out a game or even two but it’s fools gold to think they’ll make a deep playoff run.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree with your premise that this team may not win one game during this series. At the same time, we obviously should have won game two. It’s also clear that other than for a few brief stretches, we’ve been outplayed in each of the two games.

Do teams still win games and occasionally series when they’ve been outplayed? Sure, especially if a goalie gets hot. The teams that are fortunate enough to have that occur, never progress too much further in the playoffs if the rest of the team is clearly less talented and less driven. That’s where the isles are.

I hope we scratch out a game or even two but it’s fools gold to think they’ll make a deep playoff run.
You don’t win a series when you spend period after period blocking shots. It means you’re not mounting an offense.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This thing is I really do feel like this comes down to mental fragility and a passive mindset. When one thing goes wrong for this team it just spirals out of control. Even in the good years this happens. And when they take a lead they seem to think lets just waste down the time. No reason to push anymore. They might not win a whole series but we know they are capable of going toe to toe with the likes of the Rangers, Stars, Panthers, Jets, etc. We have seen them beat these teams just recently.
But the fact is they seem to play better when a game is tied or a one goal game late into the game. I guess it keeps them focused and invested. But as soon as they take a multiple goal lead you can see them change what they are doing. It is clear as day. And then once the other team sure enough comes back to tie it, it is too late for the Isles to get back to playing again.
It is like clockwork. It does not matter who the coach is. It is like a disease that infects a player the minute they put on the Isles jersey and I just do not get it. When I play hockey, the goal is not to stop scoring after you get 2 or 3 goals. There is no mercy rule. There is no law that says you cannot try to win the game by 5, 6 or 7 goals. Every other team seems to know this.
I mean how do you even attempt to explain how a team has 5 shots on goal the rest of a game after going up 3-0 in the second period. They should have Carolina on their heels and counter attacking and getting odd man rushes each time Carolina was taking chances. Instead they sat stationary in their zone happy to defend.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I thought they outplayed Carolina in game 1. At least as far as controlling the play goes. Obviously they couldn't score more than one measly goal...

Reactions: Potvottier

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I mean how do you even attempt to explain how a team has 5 shots on goal the rest of a game after going up 3-0 in the second period. They should have Carolina on their heels and counter attacking and getting odd man rushes each time Carolina was taking chances. Instead they sat stationary in their zone happy to defend.
They only had 7 shots before going up 3-0. They were sitting back getting dominated right from the start. This wasn't a situation where they took their foot off the gas. They never had it on the gas to begin with.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The people ob this board are hilarious. We have MBAs who know what the owner who never speaks to the media is thinking, wannabe GMs, goalie consultants, media critics, and sports psychologists.

We’re rubbing elbows with greatness here..

Of all the posters on here, I would actually trust your opinion most if you were in Isles management. @Bones45 would be my 1st choice to don the Sparky suit. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad