Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The microcosm of the Islanders problems for me was there was a play where the puck was along the boards and it came loose and slowly trickled across the Cane’s zone with no Cane in sight.

It was one of those plays where you’re just waiting for someone to enter the screen and pick it up and go in for a scoring chance.

Yet they were so caught up in being in a shell, that no Islander even entered the frame, let alone went for the puck

This team has no killer instinct. Turtle in your own zone and hope teams don’t get bounces is such a stupid way to play
that play I went "wait nobody was there to pick it up?", which baffled me and my dad. Its just a shame how this team's mental mistakes all compound onto each other. It just blurs into one big mush.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I see if more akin to when you pull a goalie mid-game even if it is not his fault, blatant message to the team.

And Sorokin is better than Varlamov when he's on his A game so if he's able to get to that spot he might be able to steal a game. I don't think it's an indictment on Varlamov's play at all, but the desperate situation the team is in.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The 4th line is a major issue. They don’t have the legs to play the game they have to to be effective anymore, and Martin especially doesn’t have the skill to warrant being in the lineup if he’s not able to run around and be voracious on the forecheck.

As sad as it is, the greatest fourth line in hockey is a mere shell of what it once was
The teams best players need to be their best players AND step up. Picking apart the 4th and changing the goalie, ain’t solving that CORE issue.

Barzal, Nelson, Pelech, and Dobson have been poor (again). Horvat, Palms, Pulock, and Varly have been good. Horvat made up for his miss breakaway for a goal later.

So far, an AHL call up and waiver pick up have been outplaying the supposed better players on this team.

Reactions: bstash19

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Funny, last series when Sorokin was weak, no one wanted to pull him for Varly. He was the ‘guy’ and the Isles went down with him. Let’s see how it shakes out now.

HOW TO BREAK TWO GOALIES IN ONE SEASON

by the New York Islanders
Unleashed hockey is so exciting.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is my fear. That they will be running around like chickens with their heads cut off, refs will try to nip it in the bud and call strict penalties. They will score PP goals and we will whine about the refs.

Somewhat disagree about "having nothing to lose." Lose on Thursday and yes, I'll be on board with somewhat drastic changes for the hell of it. But losing the first two on the road is nothing to panic about.
But this is actually part of the problem and I have said exactly this in previous seasons, seemingly most often when we play Carolina. For the Islanders to be successful in postseason play, they need to be able to play physical and cause other teams to keep their heads up or back off a race to the puck, etc. Especially a finesse team like Carolina. When every time we touch someone they do a somersault and we get penalized it is negating the way we need to play the game.
So yes there are plenty of flaws on our team and I cannot even explain what we were doing for the second half of Game 2, but when some of us complain that the refs are impacting the game this is what we mean. Look at the things Carolina gets away with, look at the other series and what is not being called and then look at what we are called for. It seems like a clear intent to prevent us from playing physical against a team of pansies like Carolina.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The teams best players need to be their best players AND step up. Picking apart the 4th and changing the goalie, ain’t solving that CORE issue.

Barzal, Nelson, Pelech, and Dobson have been poor (again). Horvat, Palms, Pulock, and Varly have been good. Horvat made up for his miss breakaway for a goal later.

So far, an AHL call up and waiver pick up have been outplaying the supposed better players on this team.
Yes, but this team has always been built around the notion that it can run 4 lines and be successful. When you don’t have 4 lines to run out, all you end up doing is tiring out everyone

The 4th line is not the biggest reason they’re down 2-0 right now, but it’s by far the easiest to address moving forward

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Funny, last series when Sorokin was weak, no one wanted to pull him for Varly. He was the ‘guy’ and the Isles went down with him. Let’s see how it shakes out now.

Varlamov is 36 years old and looking slow as he gets bombarded the same way the Canes bombard every opponent. He doesn't have another level to his game. Sorokin does.

Get yourself a box of adult diapers for Thursday. You’re gonna be squirming on every Canes rush.

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
IMG_8542.jpeg
Somehow their fanbase was claiming a cheapshot caused the injury during the GDT. I didn’t know they have magical powers as well.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
View attachment 858902Somehow their fanbase was claiming a cheapshot caused the injury during the GDT. I didn’t know they have magical powers as well.
I legit believe that Canes fans think Hockey is a non-contact sport. How else do you explain that two years in a row they start booing every time one of their players are touched. They can have 5 PPs in a game and we have 1 and if we bodycheck someone they start booing in an uproar.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I legit believe that Canes fans think Hockey is a non-contact sport. How else do you explain that two years in a row they start booing every time one of their players are touched. They can have 5 PPs in a game and we have 1 and if we bodycheck someone they start booing in an uproar.
They've spent too much time inhaling the smoke from the barbeques in the parking lots outside of the NC State football games. They were crying for calls in game 1 when Sebastian Aho fell along the boards while trying to claim both penalties they got (crosschecks to the face coincidently enough) were acting in the GDT. They flipped out over the end of the game stuff last game as well but that nonsense goes on in just about every playoff series. We had Nikita Kucherov trying to chop off JGP's knee and you know they didn't care but Brock's tap to the glove (of a buddy) was the end of the world for them. Just wait until Tony DeAngelo gets trucked by Clutterbuck or someone and then snaps as a result. They'll be mighty quiet over that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Varlamov is 36 years old and looking slow as he gets bombarded the same way the Canes bombard every opponent. He doesn't have another level to his game. Sorokin does.

Get yourself a box of adult diapers for Thursday. You’re gonna be squirming on every Canes rush.
He’s so old…he’s the same age as…Bob and has seen 50% less shots.

Sorokin made it to your list alongside Barzal?
Nope, but he’s been mediocre from being great. Barzal has never been great and proving more and more he’s not a big game player.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island

I did. I didn’t come on here and post it. But I definitely said it to my friends.

He’s not mentally tough enough, in my opinion. He lets in the soft goals that kill the team, the series losing goal in game 6 against Carolina last year, to name one example.

I hope that he proves me wrong, but I don’t think he’s a big game goalie.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
But this is actually part of the problem and I have said exactly this in previous seasons, seemingly most often when we play Carolina. For the Islanders to be successful in postseason play, they need to be able to play physical and cause other teams to keep their heads up or back off a race to the puck, etc. Especially a finesse team like Carolina. When every time we touch someone they do a somersault and we get penalized it is negating the way we need to play the game.
So yes there are plenty of flaws on our team and I cannot even explain what we were doing for the second half of Game 2, but when some of us complain that the refs are impacting the game this is what we mean. Look at the things Carolina gets away with, look at the other series and what is not being called and then look at what we are called for. It seems like a clear intent to prevent us from playing physical against a team of pansies like Carolina.

Id hit everything that moves. They’re a soft team and it will wear them down. And make them second guess. The refs can’t call them all.

They’re going to dive regardless. Might as well make them pay for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad