Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Brindamour is such an overrated coach. It’s really amazing how every year it’s the same shit. Canes are gonna win the cup, Brindamour is one of the best coaches in the league if not the best, then every year Canes choke in the playoffs. Rinse and repeat
At a bare minimum, Rod the Bod is the perfect coach for any organization that just wants and needs a round or three of playoff revenue. Would be very interested to see what he could do with a team that actually had a couple of game breakers

Glad the Oilers already did their coach firing for the year because I would hate to see what he could achieve with that group (as long as at least one or Nurse-Ceci was gone) implementing a tight defensive structure. The Canes are pretenders but thats more because Rod has them overachieving their talent level than underachieving

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At a bare minimum, Rod the Bod is the perfect coach for any organization that just wants and needs a round or three of playoff revenue. Would be very interested to see what he could do with a team that actually had a couple of game breakers

Glad the Oilers already did their coach firing for the year because I would hate to see what he could achieve with that group (as long as at least one or Nurse-Ceci was gone) implementing a tight defensive structure. The Canes are pretenders but thats more because Rod has them overachieving their talent level than underachieving
All the Canes losses are one goal losses. It’s not like they’re getting blown out. Having a game breaker or two would help for sure, but keep losing this close games or OT games maybe is a coaching issue? Not having the right players out there at the right time etc…

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Brindamour is such an overrated coach. It’s really amazing how every year it’s the same shit. Canes are gonna win the cup, Brindamour is one of the best coaches in the league if not the best, then every year Canes choke in the playoffs. Rinse and repeat
I don’t think Rod is the issue really. I mean he could to be fair. But the Canes, while have a talented team, are just too flawed to win a cup. Aho is good but can’t compete with Barkov and doesn’t have the talent of someone like Panarin. Even compared to Zib, who I think Aho’s better than, he just doesn’t have that game breaking element that Zib does.

Then Slavin is kind of the same as Aho. Obviously a great defenseman, but doesn’t really compete with Fox as a 1D. He just doesn’t have that offensive pop necessary, especially considering the forward core also lacks that dynamism. If they still had Hamilton I think they’d be in better shape contention wise.

And then Andersen is their starting goalie who’s a fine starter. But a team like Carolina can’t get by with fine goaltending. They can’t outscore average or even above average goaltending.

So while Rod hasn’t been able to get them over the hump, I just don’t think it’s entirely indicative of his ability as a coach when his roster just isn’t cuo winning capable imo.

Reactions: the_fan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I actually think Brind'Amour is a good, if not excellent coach.

Problem is his team isn't good enough. Good depth, good balance, but not one gamebreaker. There's no Panarin/MacKinnon/Eichel/Ovechkin/Crosby to score a goal when you really need to score a goal. Which is pretty much why they always manage to throw the puck at the net like 150 times a game and only manage to score 1 or 2. Both Vegas and Florida had very deep and talented teams, and both of them realized it wasn't enough, and sacrificed some of that depth to snag an elite talent.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Problem is his team isn't good enough. Good depth, good balance, but not one gamebreaker. There's no Panarin/MacKinnon/Eichel/Ovechkin/Crosby to score a goal when you really need to score a goal. Which is pretty much why they always manage to throw the puck at the net like 150 times a game and only manage to score 1 or 2. Both Vegas and Florida had very deep and talented teams, and both of them realized it wasn't enough, and sacrificed some of that depth to snag an elite talent.
Yup. I don't think the Canes have ever had the best player in a series outside the 1st, maybe 2nd round of a playoff series. Like theoretically if the Canes somehow beat the Rangers, Aho would be at best the 3rd best player in that series behind Tkachuk and Barkov. Reinhart this season is probably better, but track record wise we'll give the edge to Aho. The roster is good, but they're always behind the 8 ball in the last couple rounds talent wise.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

What about Guentzel?

Reactions: Alienblood

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What about Guentzel?

I thought I mentioned elsewhere (maybe not, maybe it was just in my head) that Guentzel is a step in the right direction, but he's not nearly enough. Fact remains he's probably been their best player though, which should indicate to them what kind of talent they need to zero in on going forward.

A lot has been said about how the Canes more or less broke a whole bunch of their own internal rules when they acquired Guentzel. If so they need to throw that book of "internal rules" in the garbage.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What about Guentzel?
I mean he's good, like a very good player. But he should realistically be the compliment to your elite player/s. He's at best a similar player to Aho who plays a less important position. Kinda like Nuke. Nuke is a very very good player. But if he's your best player... you're lacking in the talent department.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Avs should learn from Florida, use their speed to forecheck, pressure and hit anyone carrying the puck! Instead of doing what they to do in game two against the Stars…just retreat once Dallas get the puck and put no pressure on…

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Avs should learn from Florida, use their speed to forecheck, pressure and hit anyone carrying the puck! Instead of doing what they to do in game two against the Stars…just retreat once Dallas get the puck and put no pressure on…
Or just don’t take dumb ass too many men or delay of game penalties. The Avs should try that, maybe it’ll help

Last edited:

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
This series is going a lot more like I thought it would now. Of course the tides turned right after I complemented Boston last game....

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I really don't like that GI penalty. The Boston player would have cut in front of the goal if the Panther's player didn't grab him.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ya I actually think Rod is a huge reason for the Canes success. I do think they have a good enough forward group to compete (esp. with the Rags) but the big hole/difference they lack from other contenders is that two-way offensive Dman to QB the PP.

Of the remaining teams:
We have Makar
Stars have Heiskanen
Panthers have Montour
Rangers have Fox
Oilers have Bouchard
Canucks have Hughes
Bruins have McAvoy

I love Brent Burns but father time has caught up with him and he's no longer in that conversation.

And yes a game-breaker up front would make a big different too. A lot of great players on that team but none that can take it to the next level, albeit Svechnikov showed signs last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad