Vasilevskiy- Below Replacement Level
Shesterkin - Elite
Sorokin - Benched
Hellebyuck - Below Replacement Level
Bobrovsky - Replacement Level
Saros - Below Replacement Level
Demko - Injured
Oettinger - Below Replacement Level
Ullmark - Slightly Above Replacement Level, but probably benched for Swayman.

There is basically zero justification for paying a goalie big $$$ at the cost of the rest of the team. Just a flat out mistake, glad our management sees it that way as well.

Snow Arc

Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Aug 14, 2020
These other teams should be glad Colorado isn't there, forechecking them into another dimension

Looking at a list of top 10 goalies this playoffs:

Shesterkin - Elite
Sorokin - Benched
Demko - Injured

There is basically zero justification for paying a goalie big $$$ at the cost of the rest of the team. Just a flat out mistake, glad our management sees it that way as well.
Georgie has had his struggles but the playoff goaltending this year is making him look pretty good, by and large

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Looking at a list of top 10 goalies this playoffs:

Shesterkin - Elite
Sorokin - Benched
Demko - Injured

You forgot:

Andersen - Elite
Georgiev - Peewee

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
Kirk McLean talking about this injury suggesting part of the problem is that goalies are too tall now is one of the strangest things in a while

This actually might not be as totally crazy as it sounds :laugh: I'm currently reading a book called The Science of Hockey, released just in 2022, and in the chapter on goaltending the writer notes how modern NHL scouts prioritize height to an almost negative extent; the average goalie height as of writing was 6'3", and it's noted that the bigger the goalie, the greater the impediment to physical movement, i.e., more power required to move laterally --> greater chance of LBI as a result.

Markstrom at 6'6" was out with a LBI a couple times this year, I think, and so was Oettinger at 6'5". While this is far from being conclusive, and using two case studies is hardly complete, there COULD be a correlation given the overall increase in 'big' goalies in the modern NHL. I'll do a bit of homework on NHL player sizes by season when I get a chance to see just how marked the increase in size has been.

Anyway, kind of neat to think about!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad