Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If Skinner holds up decently, they look like they'll be in the Finals. That's still a pretty big if, but they have an easy path and known playoff performers. Whoever makes it out of the Central bracket is bound to be beat up and only Winnipeg isn't shaky in net. I don't think they'll beat Florida or New York if those are the teams from the East... but if Toronto/Boston/Carolina somehow make it, Edmonton should win the Cup.

It is about as well setup of a chance as they could possibly ask for. For them to fail here would be devastating.
this is all I have to root for

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Do you really think that Stone didn't have a lacerated spleen?

If it isn't LTIR, it'll be something else. Teams always push these limits and always have.
There is no f***ing way the guy had a lacerated spleen. I'd love to see the medical records on that, oh that's right I never will because they don't exist.

They did the same shit they do every year they tell Stone to go take a vacation and rest up for the playoffs. Then doubled down on Pietrangelo, so that could really abuse the system this year.

It's really sad that the sport I enjoy most and invest a ton of my free time into, allows for this level of abuse and manipulation.

It's one thing to have something in place for situations where guys like Landy get long term injuries and don't magically show up when it's convenient. It a whole other situation to have a team move non injured players who are very clearly faking it, then show up game 1 of the playoffs perfectly fine. And on top of that do it 3 years in a row.

This rule needs to be completely rewritten, there are options that allow for teams who actually need it, like Avs with Landy, that would also prevent Vegas or any other team from taking advantage of it. At very minimum it needs to be changed to teams must be cap compliant throughout the playoffs. That should be a no brainer.

Reactions: Grigowski

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Crazy that the Kings seemed to be a team on the verge of being great with a few tweaks, but they made some tweaks and they seem hopeless now.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They’d be falsifying medical reports…

I believe he has injuries and all parties are willing to use that to their advantage. Half the league could have a back issue that needs surgery. Just not all are willing to do this.

Vegas is very willing to do whatever they can to win and working the rules is a part of that. No matter what rules you set, there will be a way to bend things.
I don't think Vegas gives 2 craps about false medical records. All it takes is money, pay off some doctors and they can a document that says whatever Vegas wants.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is no f***ing way the guy had a lacerated spleen. I'd love to see the medical records on that, oh that's right I never will because they don't exist.

They did the same shit they do every year they tell Stone to go take a vacation and rest up for the playoffs. Then doubled down on Pietrangelo, so that could really abuse the system this year.

It's really sad that the sport I enjoy most and invest a ton of my free time into, allows for this level of abuse and manipulation.

It's one thing to have something in place for situations where guys like Landy get long term injuries and don't magically show up when it's convenient. It a whole other situation to have a team move non injured players who are very clearly faking it, then show up game 1 of the playoffs perfectly fine. And on top of that do it 3 years in a row.

This rule needs to be completely rewritten, there are options that allow for teams who actually need it, like Avs with Landy, that would also prevent Vegas or any other team from taking advantage of it. At very minimum it needs to be changed to teams must be cap compliant throughout the playoffs. That should be a no brainer.
He fits the faster side of a spleen recovery, but in the timeframe.

I don't think Vegas gives 2 craps about false medical records. All it takes is money, pay off some doctors and they can a document that says whatever Vegas wants.
This moves into conspiracy.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He fits the faster side of a spleen recovery, but in the timeframe.

This moves into conspiracy.
The likelihood of the same high cap hit player being long term injured, 3 years in a row, around the same time every year, and being magically healthy day 1 of the playoffs. Would be about as likely as going to the roulette table and betting on 20 black 3 times in a row and having it hit 3 times in a row.

Meaning that it's virtually impossible.

I mean, please just use your brain, what Vegas is doing is very obvious. They aren't angels who are just running into bad luck with Stone. They know what that are doing it's very calculated and it's very clear they are abusing the system.

Reactions: The Pwnerer

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
They’d be falsifying medical reports…
Do you think RyJo has a medical condition that prevents him from playing the second he got traded? Same thing - like going to the doctor for a medical weed card. Not hard to find an excuse to give it

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The likelihood of the same high cap hit player being long term injured, 3 years in a row, around the same time every year, and being magically healthy day 1 of the playoffs. Would be about as likely as going to the roulette table and betting on 20 black 3 times in a row and having it hit 3 times in a row.

Meaning that it's virtually impossible.

I mean, please just use your brain, what Vegas is doing is very obvious. They aren't angels who are just running into bad luck with Stone. They know what that are doing it's very calculated and it's very clear they are abusing the system.
I’m not saying they are angels. Im not saying they aren’t bending the rules to fit what they need. I’m saying he actually has injuries and all parties are okay with utilizing LTIR.

Do you think RyJo has a medical condition that prevents him from playing the second he got traded? Same thing - like going to the doctor for a medical weed card. Not hard to find an excuse to give it
That’s kinda my point here. Any player that has played a decade has something you can write up on. Especially players with bad backs… all of them could likely use surgery. Just not all are willing to do it.

Ways can be found if the parties are okay with it. In this case they are. If Stone didn’t have a spleen injury, I would have expected a clean up surgery. They just didn’t have to this go round.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It's as simple as "we're going to try rehab and delay surgery until the calculated day that lines up perfectly with the start of postseason". The injury is real, the treatment is real, but you can bet your ass they're lining up recovery with intention.

Just keep the salary cap throughout the postseason. Travel with as big of a roster as you want, but whatever team you ice in a postseason game has to be cap compliant. It's not that hard. Teams can still load up at the deadline for injury insurance but they don't benefit on the ice from being over the cap.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Whatever is going on with Stone is very similar to how you could do imaging on a lot of regular people and find herniated discs in their back. Unless there is actually nerve compression from them though they often are not the source of pain. You could find ‘injuries’ in most players it’s just a matter of is this worth playing through or not and clearly Vegas likes to exploit that

Oilers fans are the worst fanbase in the league as well. I want nothing but perpetual sadness for them
Vancouver fans say challenge accepted. Most fanbases you get some good natured ribbing for being a fan of a rival team. For some reason Canucks have a wild subset of angry aggressive fans (especially in the WCE days - some things said to me as a young teenager who looked about 12 for liking the wrong team were disturbing) who instead of engaging in fun banter are just complete dicks

Reactions: The Moops

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

IBH.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
DeSmith is good enough to get through the first round, but isn't good enough to get through the Oilers.

Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad