Stanley Cup Playoffs 2014-2015 IV Discussion, picks, and predictions/Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm the biggest Devils Richter fan there is, I'm okay with putting Lundqvist over him though.

People make the argument of Richter over Lundqvist because of Richter being clutch and a couple years ago I'd have bought it but that's silly at this point given Lundqvist's record in elimination games. I don't know what Richter's is but I don't think he had a 15-4 stretch or whatever it is now over the last few years. Is that not the definition of needing a guy to win one game for you?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
People make the argument of Richter over Lundqvist because of Richter being clutch and a couple years ago I'd have bought it but that's silly at this point given Lundqvist's record in elimination games. I don't know what Richter's is but I don't think he had a 15-4 stretch or whatever it is now over the last few years. Is that not the definition of needing a guy to win one game for you?

Not necessarily. See my post on the previous page. Lundqvist has never won a playoff series against a superior team in my view anyway. A goalie of his "stature" should have stolen one somewhere along the line I would think. He let in two bad game-winning goals vs. Tampa in my mind.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Not necessarily. See my post on the previous page. Lundqvist has never won a playoff series against a superior team in my view anyway. A goalie of his "stature" should have stolen one somewhere along the line I would think. He let in two bad game-winning goals vs. Tampa in my mind.

Did Richter? The Rangers had the best team in '94, much better than any of Henry's teams. What great upset did Richter engineer, beating an offensively challenged Devils team in '97 before getting racked by Philly?

Henry also hasn't lost to teams worse than his either for the most part, where were they upset by a clearly inferior team in the postseason? This year might have been a little bit of a surprise because of home ice but Tampa had more 1-18 talent. If Tampa had home ice they would have been favored imo

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Did Richter? The Rangers had the best team in '94, much better than any of Henry's teams. What great upset did Richter engineer, beating an offensively challenged Devils team in '97 before getting racked by Philly?

Henry also hasn't lost to teams worse than his either for the most part, where were they upset by a clearly inferior team in the postseason? This year might have been a little bit of a surprise because of home ice but Tampa had more 1-18 talent. If Tampa had home ice they would have been favored imo

I gamble on hockey and the Rangers and Blackhawks were the consistent favorites for several months so the home ice part I don't think you're correct about.

Regardless, I don't know how else to say it other than there have been few goalies that I felt like it was possible to play all night and never score on if they were at their best, and Richter for a brief time was in that category to me. I have never felt that way about Lundqvist, except maybe in 2012 but that was more due to the system that Torts had them playing.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Well... he was outplayed by a 41-42 year old Brodeur on, at that point, the biggest stage of his career as the #1 seed. :handclap:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You take the better player. You can't just assume that a guy is going to have that one magic game when the other guy is the discussion has been consistently a better player.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Well... he was outplayed by a 41-42 year old Brodeur on, at that point, the biggest stage of his career as the #1 seed. :handclap:

I should have mentioned that. I don't know if we had an inferior roster but we were definitely the underdog that series.

I'll take Lundqvist in the regular season and Richter for the playoffs. It's a playoff sport and I want guys who can raise the level of their play dramatically (i.e. winners).

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I should have mentioned that. I don't know if we had an inferior roster but we were definitely the underdog that series.

I'll take Lundqvist in the regular season and Richter for the playoffs. It's a playoff sport and I want guys who can raise the level of their play dramatically (i.e. winners).

I don't know how you maintain that Lundqvist doesn't "raise the level of play" for the playoffs.

He made it easy for you -- just look at his stellar numbers.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I don't know how you maintain that Lundqvist doesn't "raise the level of play" for the playoffs.

He made it easy for you -- just look at his stellar numbers.

Not going to have this discussion again, but someone else (a HL supporter) already gave these stats:

Lundqvist:
Regular - .921 / 2.26
Playoffs - .923 / 2.22

I see no difference.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
So much debate over a few Rags goalies. :boredom:

Closet Rags fans! :sarcasm:

Actually I hate them as much as everyone else. I'm just on a quest to get everyone to agree that while he is a very good goalie, in the grand scheme of things he's still overrated. I'm having mixed success :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Actually I hate them as much as everyone else. I'm just on a quest to get everyone to agree that while he is a very good goalie, in the grand scheme of things he's still overrated. I'm having mixed success :laugh:

Oh I know and am just ribbing you guys.

I've been labeled a Rags fan before just by giving them some credit.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Callahan has been great, always hilarious to read rags fans killing him for being a "choker" yet they defend Nash.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Callahan has been great, always hilarious to read rags fans killing him for being a "choker" yet they defend Nash.

I will laugh hysterically if the Bolts end up winning the Cup with a big series from Callahan. But at least the Rangers got a good young player for him...oh wait.:laugh:

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
The hawk fans were so overconfident coming into this series. Hilarious to see this unfold. I'm not surprised. The lightning are deeper and younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad