Stanley Cup integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

I think the NHL can satisfy a whole raft of issues by playing a 43 game schedule (2 in-conference, one inter-conference) this year with NO PLAYOFFS. Instead of awarding the Stanley Cup, just award the Presidents Trophy. (Perhaps a $10 M prize could go along with the trophy.)

1) Satisfies fans desire for hockey.

2) Don't tarnish the CUP by awarding it after a less than meaningful season.

3) Allow teams until next summer to adjust rosters under cap.

4) Set draft order.

Thoughts?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
A shortened season will be extra exciting because of the added importance of each point. The playoff drive starts in game one of the season. Then you have the most riveting playoff format in professional sports, in my opinion, in the Cup playoffs.

I am fine with an asterisk next to the 2004-05 Cup winning team in the record books, if you like, but would favor the usual four rounds of playoff hockey. I just don't see there ever being much excitement generated by a run towards... the President's Trophy.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Nah... I want a deal done and the Stanley Cup playoffs this summer. The Stanley Cup playoffs is the best tournament in all of sports... they might as well cancel the season if they don't have it. Besides, only a contrarian would try to argue that winning four straight seven game series somehow lacks "integrity" just because the regular season was short.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:

How many people think the Cup was tanished in 1995 when New Jersey won it?

You can't have a season with no playoffs, that's where the league makes their money.

If you have a regular season with no playoffs that's worse than not even having a season at all. Anyone remember the baseball strike in 94?

What's the point in having a regular season if there is no playoffs? The Cup is what it's all about, not the Presidents Trophy. Do you know how many teams care about the President's Trophy?

Zero.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
To a point i agree with you. But do you really think the owners and players are gonna give up playoff revenue.

If each side cared about the integrity of the Cup and the NHL we wouldn't still be in this situation.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Yes this Cup will be tarnished, especially if they only play a 30-something game scheduele. But, I don't think there is anything you could do about it. If your going to play a short season, you have to award the stanley cup. It's just the situation we are in right now unfortunetly, and if the NHL didn't want a shortened season cup winner they should have cancelled the season already. Besides, the NHL hasn't always had a 82 game scheduele. The winner will be lucky, might even be whichever team has most of their roster in tact to start and gets off to a good start, but not much can be done about it.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Play into June and July if they have to, the Cup must be awarded.

I still don't think there will be a season though, but there needs to be a hoisting if there is one.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
maybe play an all interconference schedule, 42 games (3 vs. each team), and then for the playoffs simply have the conferenece winners from each side play in the final?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
speeds said:
maybe play an all interconference schedule, 42 games (3 vs. each team), and then for the playoffs simply have the conferenece winners from each side play in the final?

16 teams will still make the playoffs wheather it's an 82-game season, a 40-game season or a 14-game season. It will still be 4 rounds, and I beleive that there should be a Stanley Cup awarded to a team who wins 4 playoff rounds.

rwilson99

Thunderstruck said:
I think the NHL can satisfy a whole raft of issues by playing a 43 game schedule (2 in-conference, one inter-conference) this year with NO PLAYOFFS. Instead of awarding the Stanley Cup, just award the Presidents Trophy. (Perhaps a $10 M prize could go along with the trophy.)

1) Satisfies fans desire for hockey.

3) Allow teams until next summer to adjust rosters under cap.

4) Set draft order.

Thoughts?

I would strongly disagree with my friend from Tampa Bay.

In the early part of the last century, the cup was commonly awarded times at the conclusion of a two game total goals series.

A full (or expanded) playoff requiring a minimum of 16 wins out of a 28 game battle will ensure a legitamate cup winner.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
MY thought is that normally during the regular season, we all know for the TOP teams that it doesn't bloody well matter. So why would it magically matter now? The seedings will be a little screwed up, MAYBE, but that is about it.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
rwilson99 said:
In the early part of the last century, the cup was commonly awarded times at the conclusion of a two game total goals series.

Pointing out the obvious, this isn't the early part of last century....

A full (or expanded) playoff requiring a minimum of 16 wins out of a 28 game battle will ensure a legitamate cup winner.

Well, one could say why bother with regular seasons at all... :)

Basically, only fans of the Lightning, who haven't had a banner raising, haven't had much of *anything* along the lines of celebrating a championship, whose players have yet to even see their names on the Cup, are going to feel somewhat ornery at the notion that we will be introduced as "Stanley Cup champions" for only 20 or so games as opposed to the normal 82. We've been robbed of just about everything that goes with a Cup win. You can't blame us for feeling a bit cantankerous at the thought that the Cup could go to, say, the Caps this year just because they perhaps go on a hot streak right off the bat.

I'd like to see a shortened season w/playoffs (although the idea that all 30 teams make the playoffs surely cheapens the whole thing), with some type of "championship" title but the Cup awarded in the next full season to the team that gets through 82 games, works through injuries and fatigue and pays the price of winning 16 games in a real playoff.

But, I guess that if there's even hockey played this year, we'll just have to go about repeating. Of course, everyone who is all for the Cup being awarded under these circumstances will very likely be criticizing that scenario if a southern or small market team takes the Cup again... :)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't really see how that matters. That cup banner will be raised permanently, and no shortened season can take that away from the Lightning. If anything, history will toss an asterisk next to this year's winner, but last year's TB run is unblemished.

And regardless of the length of the season, I feel quite confident a team like the Caps doesn't have a prayer. The only way I could see a significantly skewed result is that older teams won't have as long a regular-season grind. That said, four grueling rounds is four rounds any way you slice it. Coming out of the playoff bracket on top is going to be impressive no matter how long was the season.

DocHolliday

Jan 16, 2003
IMO the season will not be really legit, no because of the length, but because of the number of players now commited overseas and the flash of signing of the 70% of the players without contracts

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Quick thought, but what if they did this to help expand the regular season slightly;

Conference Quarter Finals - Best of 3
Conference Semi Finals - Best of 5
Conference Finals - Best of 7
Stanley Cup Finals - Best of 7

Reilly311

The cup is awarded for the 16 team playoff. As long as you have on of those it's good to go. :)

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
Jamie said:
Quick thought, but what if they did this to help expand the regular season slightly;

Conference Quarter Finals - Best of 3
Conference Semi Finals - Best of 5
Conference Finals - Best of 7
Stanley Cup Finals - Best of 7

I don't think the regular season is much of an issue...but you CAN NOT tinker with the postseason. That would deserve an '*'

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
getnziggywidit said:
Funny, if there is a season it seems to me the real prize won't be the Cup, it will be Crosby.

That seems a little backwards to me. Wouldn't the ultimate goal of getting a guy like Crosby be to build a team to win the cup? :dunno:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
ChiHawks468 said:
That seems a little backwards to me. Wouldn't the ultimate goal of getting a guy like Crosby be to build a team to win the cup? :dunno:
As said, winning the Cup this season will be tainted.

Getting Crosby could help a team to win multiple legitimate Cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad