GDT: Stanley Cup Finals | Game #4 | Boston Bruins @ St. Louis Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 6, 2012
The main boards are just depressing. What is even wrong with people? I don't get it.

I just really really want them to win tonight. If we're going to lose this series(and I can't even emotionally wrap my head around not losing this series), I at least want it to be a fight.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
Boston2.gif

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Worried about Bennington. If he lets any more five hole goals in... they need to stop the Bruins screens

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
The main boards are just depressing. What is even wrong with people? I don't get it.

I just really really want them to win tonight. If we're going to lose this series(and I can't even emotionally wrap my head around not losing this series), I at least want it to be a fight.
Maybe Dunn back in the lineup will shake it up a little bit.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
How important is Dunn to your team?

Arguably the 3rd most important D overall behind Petro and Parayko. If we are trailing in a game, he is without question the 3rd most important D. He very well may be the best puck mover on our Blue line and our breakout has missed him greatly.

At worst he is the 4th most important D on the team and that is if you consider the shut down, PK ability and minute-eating of J-Bo to be more important than Dunn's ability to skate the puck, make a first pass, quarterback a PP and activate offensively. I tend to fall into this group simply due to the sheer numbr of minutes J-Bo plays and how well his line has been shutting down the top lines of other teams. Parayko is much more responsible for that success than J-Bo is, but I can't ignore 23 minutes a night vs Dunn's 16:30 a night (I'm excluding the game where he got hurt early in the 1st, which drove his average down about 1 minute per game). Here is my ranking of the importance of our D through these playoffs, separated by tiers:

Petro
Parayko

J-Bo
Dunn

Gunnar
Bortuzzo
Ed

I'm sure there will be disagreement about my ordering within the tiers and many believ Ed should have his own tier at the bottom. However, I'd wager the vast majority of people here agree with Petro/Parayko being alone in the top tier and Dunn/J-Bo having their own tier in between everyone else. Overall, he is one of our top 10 most important skaters without question in my mind as our top 4 D our more important to our overall structure than our top 6 forwards.

TLDR: Very important. Either our 3rd or 4th most important D and the dropoff between he and the 5th most important D is substantial.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Regarding Dunn, can't he just wear one of those clear plastic visors that covers the whole face, instead of the metal cage?

Honestly, I'm not sure I have seen an NHLer use one of those when recovering from a facial injury (but I could definitely be wrong about that, I'm going on memory).

Frankly, I find a cage to be significantly less distracting than a fish bowl (but I also grew up playing goalie and am more used to a cage). The fish bowl gets super hot and fogs up on me know matter how much anti-fog I use. It is also more reliant on the chin cup to sit properly in my experience.

Reactions: Vladdy the Impaler

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Honestly, I'm not sure I have seen an NHLer use one of those when recovering from a facial injury (but I could definitely be wrong about that, I'm going on memory).

Frankly, I find a cage to be significantly less distracting than a fish bowl (but I also grew up playing goalie and am more used to a cage). The fish bowl gets super hot and fogs up on me know matter how much anti-fog I use. It is also more reliant on the chin cup to sit properly in my experience.
I think Pavelski wore one after eating a puck in the Vegas series

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
I assume Chief is going with Eddy over Bortz because Dunn is on the third pairing. Probably not a bad idea, since throwing an ailing d-man onto the top pairing in Game 4 of the SCF could backfire in a bad way. On the other hand, if you play Dunn on the third pairing there might be an advantageous mismatch for us.

Eddy has looked awful, yes, but I'm not sure Bortz would look much better on the top pairing.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think Pavelski wore one after eating a puck in the Vegas series

He just wore a plastic mouth cover that left the space between it and his visor exposed.

wo6zy65tzor21.png

Pretty sure it was just there to protect dental work, as a puck could definitely get under that to the jaw (and hypothetically between it and the visor).

Reactions: STL BLUES

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
St. Louis needs this win.Ryan Whitney was saying on Spittin Chicklets about how awful the downtown area of St. Louis is makes me wonder how the All-Star game is going to work if the downtown area is that bad?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I too prefer a cage to a fish bowl.

As far as Dunn wearing a full face shield it’s been done before. But I suspect the reason they held him out was because he was having a rough time talking.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
He just wore a plastic mouth cover that left the space between it and his visor exposed.

wo6zy65tzor21.png

Pretty sure it was just there to protect dental work, as a puck could definitely get under that to the jaw (and hypothetically between it and the visor).
Ah, yeah that's right lol my mistake! Yeah I can't remember the last time someone wore a fishbowl either. Jeez the first round feels like it was a year ago lol.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I feel like there should be a way to have a cage wrap around the jaw--similar to Pavelski's but with a little more protection--rather than one of the college hockey cages that so many NHLers dislike.

Edit: I found something that Crosby wore, Dunn might have something similar if he doesn't want the full cage

image.jpg

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I feel like there should be a way to have a cage wrap around the jaw--similar to Pavelski's but with a little more protection--rather than one of the college hockey cages that so many NHLers dislike.

Edit: I found something that Crosby wore, Dunn might have something similar if he doesn't want the full cage

image.jpg

That could be an option. IMO, the thick plastic in your peripheral vision is more distracting than thin metal cage bars, but to each his own. We'll find out Dunn's preference tonight, because I don't think there is any way he is out there with just his normal visor.

ScottieDsntKnow

Your milkshake: I drink it
Dec 12, 2004
O'Fallon, IL
St. Louis needs this win.Ryan Whitney was saying on Spittin Chicklets about how awful the downtown area of St. Louis is makes me wonder how the All-Star game is going to work if the downtown area is that bad?

Why did you post this in 2 separate places and why are you trying to troll?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
you caught me spellcheck! :nod:

Not trying to be a jerk or single you out specifically, but I have seen this mistake a lot since this series started and it is starting to bug me enough that I'm correcting people.

Still not worse than the way my dad spells Backes. I'm about 99% sure it is just to annoy me, but he spells it Bachus. Every. Single. Time.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Getting Edmundson out of the lineup increases our chances of winning.

Gunnarsson - Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester - Parayko
Dunn - Bortuzzo

There better be a good reason that those aren't the D-pairings.

Reactions: Vladdy the Impaler

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
A guy out of Denver markets a plasit cage that doesn't fog up. It's impermiated with something..

Plastic vs metal bird cage. It's a personal preference.

Are'nt Faceshields fishbowlish LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad