GDT: Stanley Cup Champs @ non Champs Calgary Flames

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Team just continually comes up with new reasons for you to love them. The way they celebrated Copley's first NHL win was just beautiful. Nicky nails an absolute dart top shelf to win it, and no one comes to him cuz they're all so psyched for Copley. Congrats Pheonix
Several of them insinuated last season that this team is very close, closer than prior teams.

I know DSP or someone mentioned that right off the bat when he joined the team he was impressed that they all did everything together. Apparently it's pretty common on teams for the team to have basically cliques of guys who go out to dinner on road trips, this iteration of the Caps basically goes out as an entire unit. You can just see the small things like the excitement you mentioned over Copley's win, or the bitterness over Wilson's suspension, they're minor things but they paint a much larger picture of chemistry.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ok, I'll bite. Which of those pairs do you assign the opposing 1st line? Do you really think Kempny is better at that than Orlov? Do you think Carlson having to support Orlov wont pull his offensive numbers back hard? I would suggest this is why they don't want to make those changes.

I’m just saying make a temporary change. It’s a long season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The epic mental blunders are, IMO, a function of being a defenseman with offensive responsibilities. Your job is not the safe play and is not to sit back and eliminate risk of getting caught up ice. Almost all offense generating defensemen get dinged like that.

What I want to avoid is turning Carlson into Niskanen. Niskanen came to the Caps with a solid offensive resume. He has become a primary defensive player because of his assignments.

It's not like Nisky was an offensive stud suddenly gimped by role here.

I mean he had ONE season of double digit goals (10) and in the same season was above 40 pts (46). Then he came here and has put up (31, 32, 39,29). That's his most consistent stretch of production as a pro. Sure if he was on PP 1, he'd have some more, but it's clear Carlson is a way better option. I'm sure pairing 9-74 could gimp both guys. I'm just saying it's a long season. Couldn't hurt to eventually see who can play with who in a pinch. Certainly not clamoring for it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Team just continually comes up with new reasons for you to love them. The way they celebrated Copley's first NHL win was just beautiful. Nicky nails an absolute dart top shelf to win it, and no one comes to him cuz they're all so psyched for Copley. Congrats Pheonix

Yep. My love of Ovechkin the person is really catching up quickly to my love for the player.

As someone who's son received a stick from Backstrom I can tell this is the coolest thing to witness:

Then he does it AGAIN.

Last edited:

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I know DSP or someone mentioned that right off the bat when he joined the team he was impressed that they all did everything together. Apparently it's pretty common on teams for the team to have basically cliques of guys who go out to dinner on road trips, this iteration of the Caps basically goes out as an entire unit. You can just see the small things like the excitement you mentioned over Copley's win, or the bitterness over Wilson's suspension, they're minor things but they paint a much larger picture of chemistry.

Last year Beagle was on the Sports Junkies every week and he clearly said there were dinner cliques. And that's ok, you aren't going to roll to dinner 23-deep every night on the road.

And that doesn't mean the team isn't close. The Post ran an article just last week about Ovie and Chiasson bonding over card games.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovi's SO percentage would be a solid argument were they sending Backstrom or Vrana there.
But they sent Carlson!

Kinda out of the blue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad