Post-Game Talk: Stanley Cup Champions VS President Trophy Champions Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
There were three things in my opinion that lost us the game yesterday and grant it we were still in the game and took it to OT. First too many penalties that lead to not being able to kill off the penalties with the PK. Second, the PP was so recognizable. What I mean by that is they put the same exact things in motion on every PP that it seemed like Vasi and the Tampa PK was ready for everything. Lastly, Vasi stole the show last night and that sort of thing is going to happen from time to time. People are saying that Holtby was horrible, but I certainly don't think he was horrible at all but he was definitely outplayed by Vasi.

As a Tampa fan, I agree with this for the most part. Special teams made a huge difference.

Both teams were fairly even but some of the penalties that were called against both were ridiculously soft compared to some of he things they let slide.

Only critic I would say against the Caps was at the end in OT when your defenseman layed out to block the pass, but slid way too far on the side as opposed to the middle of the ice - allowing Hedman to walk in for the goal. That defensive gaff was on par with Killorn's freebies.

Both goalies put on a clinic and as a Tampa fan, I don't want to meet up with you guys in the ECF, but I don't see anybody taking you guys out. As a hockey fan, it'd be an amazing series to watch.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Didn't see the game because of a work function but saw the highlights. First thing that stood out was Holtby looked pretty weak on some of those goals. Second thing was holy **** that was the worst 2-on-1 defense I've ever seen by Orlov on that OT goal. What in the world was he doing? Third thing was Niskanen with just a brutal turnover/failed clear on that 4th (I think) goal. The Caps really need those three to not be hot garbage in the playoffs.

Overall, can't complain with 3 out of 4 points from that back to back. Win the next one and make the season series 1-1-1.

Well you missed a plethora of clutch saves. Holtby will not be “hot garbage” in the playoffs nor was he, even remotely, last night.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
While its on my mind. Eller has been a beast. That 3rd line with Hagelin added is awesome. Eller just looks so strong right now. Burakovsky just plain outclasses whoever he is skating against now. The forward group looks just plain stacked right now.
Yeah - he's back to being a puck possession beast along the boards, while curtailing his mid-season bouts of vainly trying to stick-handle through multiple defenders seemingly every other time the puck was on his stick.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well you missed a plethora of clutch saves. Holtby will not be “hot garbage” in the playoffs nor was he, even remotely, last night.

Like I said I missed the game and saw only the highlights and the stat line. He had a .821 save % last night and looked a bit leaky on some of the goals against. As for the plethora of clutch saves I saw the early breakaway save and I'm sure there were a few more but the heatmap for Tampa's shots didn't make it look like they were peppering Holtby with grade-A chances. It's also the second game in a row against the Lightning that he was outclassed by Vasilevsky and it's the second game in a row against the Lightning that his save percentage is sub .880. Having not seen most of the game there's obviously a ton of context I'm missing but those are just my observations.

Reactions: OvechkinTooth

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
A few thoughts:
  1. Great game!
  2. GREAT Game!!
  3. Loved seeing the Caps play hard, giving a shirt, and a preview of how they're going to play in the playoffs (first strong 60 minute effort from Kuzy in awhile)
  4. Ugh on the PK, 3 PP goals against and that's a loss almost every time
  5. Ugh on not handling the forecheck in D-zone, tons of outlet passes getting blocked and turned over
  6. Happy w/5-on-5, tons of chances, a lot of zone time
  7. PP is way too predictable and a strong PK can kill w/no problem (it's just that the PK has to be 100% vigilant or Caps can surgically make you look bad)
  8. What a beautiful goal by Kucherov on Palat > Stamkos > Kuch, props
  9. Bring on the playoffs!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like I said I missed the game and saw only the highlights and the stat line. He had a .821 save % last night and looked a bit leaky on some of the goals against. As for the plethora of clutch saves I saw the early breakaway save and I'm sure there were a few more but the heatmap for Tampa's shots didn't make it look like they were peppering Holtby with grade-A chances. It's also the second game in a row against the Lightning that he was outclassed by Vasilevsky and it's the second game in a row against the Lightning that his save percentage is sub .880. Having not seen most of the game there's obviously a ton of context I'm missing but those are just my observations.

with the score 4-3 Holtby made numerous stolen goal saves including stopping Kucherov on a 2 on 0. So, while Holtby may have given up a couple of stoppable goals he made the saves that kept them in the game. Meanwhile at the other end Vasi stands on his head all game long only to give up a brutal tying goal at the end.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad