Olympics: Standings before the quarters

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
This is what I found on IIHF.com

But it is not clear how exactly those 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D are identified. Is that purely on the goal differential? That is going to be one confusing ranking

At the conclusion of the 18-game Preliminary Round, all 12 teams will be ranked in a joint ranking "D". This ranking will be used for seeding the teams in the Qualification Playoff games and will used for calculating the Final Ranking at the conclusion of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games Men's Tournament.

http://www.iihf.com/en/channels10/olympics-2010/schedule.html

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I have a question about that as well. If it's purely on goal differential, watch out Norway. You will see some big victories as the big nations will try to score as much as possible.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
I assume points, followed by GD

Well, the top three teams would have same number of points, no?

Goal Differential will decide what team gets ranked 1D, 2D and 3D...while the 4th one will also have to beat the second placed teams in GD again.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Also any reason the US keeps getting the 3:00 EST game? You would think that would have European teams and the US game would be in semi-primetime

Well, the top three teams would have same number of points, no?

Goal Differential will decide what team gets ranked 1D, 2D and 3D...while the 4th one will also have to beat the second placed teams in GD again.

Well not guaranteed, but likely. And then yeah, that's what I figure will happen.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I have a question about that as well. If it's purely on goal differential, watch out Norway. You will see some big victories as the big nations will try to score as much as possible.

This is not juniors, Norway can play shutdown hockey for 1-2 games in this tournament. Even though some team can pull the plug on them, also don't forget that they played Canada really tough a couple of years ago on small ice and lost only by one goal.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
It seems that there is a reason the IIHF didn't want to elaborate. This is more complicated than just GD. GD may be equal (there is a chance) so they probably may use IIHF rating as the last resort.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
i believe they will use GD and then if teams are tied they will use the world rankings, whichever team is higher will be seeded higher.

sensfan83*

But how will the Chicago Blackhawks losing to the Zurich Lions in the historical Victoria Cup (prize money of 1 million dollars!) affect the world rankings? I'm guessing Canada could drop 2 or 3 spots based on that loss.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
But how will the Chicago Blackhawks losing to the Zurich Lions in the historical Victoria Cup (prize money of 1 million dollars!) affect the world rankings? I'm guessing Canada could drop 2 or 3 spots based on that loss.

No, Canada has been dropping like a dead weight since they couldn't score in three games in the last Olympics, and in the last two years lost to Russia in the finals. Let's not get cocky about Zurich Lions. Some of them you have to face in your second game, apparently Keith and Seabrook are not that good against them.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

sensfan83*

No, Canada has been dropping like a dead weight since they couldn't score in three games in the last Olympics, and in the last two years lost to Russia in the finals. Let's not get cocky about Zurich Lions. Some of them you have to face in your second game, apparently Keith and Seabrook are not that good against them.

Good point. I'll just pray that Crosby, Heatley, Getzlaf, Thornton, Nash, Marleau, Perry, Staal, Richards, Toews, Weber, Iginla, Pronger, Boyle, Doughty, and Neidermeyer will somehow pick up the slack if Keith and Seabrook don't manage to score.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Good point. I'll just pray that Crosby, Heatley, Getzlaf, Thornton, Nash, Marleau, Perry, Staal, Richards, Toews, Weber, Iginla, Pronger, Boyle, Doughty, and Neidermeyer will somehow pick up the slack if Keith and Seabrook don't manage to score.

You better hope so cause last time some of them didn't. This Canadian cockiness is funny. If you lose to US and Swiss like last time, with this system you may be out, you know.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Let's not forget all the NHL players meet up maybe two days before the tournament. I can see a couple of upsets or at least strange results early on shaking things up.

sensfan83*

You better hope so cause last time some of them didn't. This Canadian cockiness is funny. If you lose to US and Swiss like last time, with this system you may be out, you know.

I'm not being cocky. I know the Canadians could wind up going home empty handed in a single elimination tournament format. But I'm not gonna use an exhibition game between the Zurich Lions and Chicago Blackhawks as the basis for that belief. It's one of the most Pejorative Slured things I've read on these forums and that is saying a lot.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006

How the hell is this cockiness?

You keep on pointing that Chicago losing to Zurich should be a concern to Team Canada (Keith and Seabrook) :laugh:, and he responded with a right answer. I can't believe you actually think a Swiss Club (one game) is more "indicative" (as you like to say) than him being the best defenseman in the NHL. It's mind boggling, to say the least.

Canadian fans are reminded of the loss in 2006, but it's not like Russia won a Gold in Olympics ever since it was best vs. best.

That thread is going to my Favourites......I'll pull that one out during the Olympics....whether Canada is winning or not. We'll see who was right or wrong.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
I'm not being cocky. I know the Canadians could wind up going home empty handed in a single elimination tournament format. But I'm not gonna use an exhibition game between the Zurich Lions and Chicago Blackhawks as the basis for that belief. It's one of the most Pejorative Slured things I've read on these forums and that is saying a lot.

EXACTLY.

This is THE most Pejorative Slured thing I've heard on this board, and believe me, I've heard a lot in 3/4 years.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006

You're using one exhibition match as the basis for yuor argument. It's pretty flawed, no offense.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
What do you want me to explain to sore losers like yourself. Losing like that and then claiming that it was an exhibition is just embarrassing! What else can I say? This is hockey, if you can't take it like a man, don't play in it.

sensfan83*

What do you want me to explain to sore losers like yourself. Losing like that and then claiming that it was an exhibition is just embarrassing! What else can I say? This is hockey, if you can't take it like a man, don't play in it.

:laugh:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Poor sentence. If Canada loses to Swiss (like last Olympics) and then to US Canada may be out since one third team out of the three groups is out.

No they won't. The bottom 8 teams play in the Qualification Round.

The Qualification Playoff games will be played with the following match-ups (Group E):

* 5D - 12D (Winner will become E1)
* 6D - 11D (Winner will become E2)
* 7D - 10D (Winner will become E3)
* 8D - 9D (Winner will become E4)

See Point 8 in the Format section I posted above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad