Rumor: Stan Bowman to receive an extension?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That would ideal. I don’t care who the GM is, just want the team to make smart moves that fit the direction of the team. You’re right though, hopefully they wait until after the season just in case this season is a complete disaster.

I mean that is how I would do it but if they are confident in what he is doing then whatever. It is their money.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I mean that is how I would do it but if they are confident in what he is doing then whatever. It is their money.

The Hawks spend money like it’s water. If they did extend him and changed their mind, it wouldn’t stop them from cutting him loose. They did it with Q.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Stanley backers on this board continue to chirp on his trades yet back to back no playoffs in a league where half the teams make it.

It's time to raise the bar. Playoffs or bust for Stanley.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Stanley backers on this board continue to chirp on his trades yet back to back no playoffs in a league where half the teams make it.

It's time to raise the bar. Playoffs or bust for Stanley.

I actually don't think anyone has a bar below this. This team should be in the playoffs this year and if they're not, that should be a really, really hot seat.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
If it was up to me I would fire him now. At the very least they should have waited to see if they made the playoffs and where they got eliminated, if they did and got out in the first round then don’t sign and give him the year remaining after that, if they made the second round then sign for a year or two max and if they didn’t make the playoffs fire immediately...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
An extension after missing two playoffs with rosters he said were "Playoff rosters" is a ****ing joke

Greatest coach in FA history was thrown under bus by Stan in what can only be called disgraceful moment in franchise history only to see Stanley given an extension he damn well hasn't earned

This franchise made a wife-beating Nazi sympathizer a brand ambassador. The firing of a head coach that had clearly worn out his welcome doesn't even rank as an embarrassing moment, let alone top the list.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If it was up to me I would fire him now. At the very least they should have waited to see if they made the playoffs and where they got eliminated, if they did and got out in the first round then don’t sign and give him the year remaining after that, if they made the second round then sign for a year or two max and if they didn’t make the playoffs fire immediately...

I would never have guessed that you would fire him.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There is no reason for it with missing the playoffs two straight years. He should have to show this thing is on right track this upcoming season (not on paper, with good improvement on the ice and in the standings) before getting any kind of extension. If they miss the playoffs 3 straight seasons with this core its on hm and his cap and asset management.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The path to me as I've said clear was they weren't going all out to win and were retooling. Doing that they got a 8th and 3rd pick with high ceiling talents and other good assets. Now they're clearly in a direction to improving with these D moves. If they'll go full blown after a top ufa is more depending on what those guys want. That shouldn't be the make or break difference.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Stan will get 8 yrs + highest pay of any GM in the NhL..plus of course a No Movement Clause.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There is no reason for it with missing the playoffs two straight years. He should have to show this thing is on right track this upcoming season (not on paper, with good improvement on the ice and in the standings) before getting any kind of extension. If they miss the playoffs 3 straight seasons with this core its on hm and his cap and asset management.

I’m a pretty big fan of Bowman but I agree with everything you said. Word for word.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am pretty much on the Hawks make the playoffs Bowman stays, if not he needs to go - depending on the why of course..if Hawks lose Crow, Keith and Toews for half the season then I guess I can flip a coin, but the time to pounce is now and this team needs to get back to relevancy and that is on the GM's shoulders. I believe they will do it but if not I will not say 2 words if he gets canned.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Really?!? I would've never thought you would be one to want Stan fired...

Reactions: clydesdale line

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I agree with waiting, but "fire him" my butt. If you had your choice, Mel Gibson got a better farewell ...

tumblr_p2qdtj63Qo1u501aoo2_400.gif

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I like Stan, but if he still has two years on his deal I'd much rather wait another year to see how we progress. This should be a year where we take a big step back towards relevancy and we see what Colliton does in his full year and hopefully some prospects getting some more/major ice time. If we instead falter, Collitan's system doesn't work, and the prospects and free agents don't show much promise, then you should have a ticking clock set in.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt for me to not sweat out a contract on an expiring deal, but waiting another year wouldn't do that. I'm not saying playoff or bust, especially with Crow's health in doubt, but we should at the very least be on the bubble and in the thick of the hunt late.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Stan will get 8 yrs + highest pay of any GM in the NhL..plus of course a No Movement Clause.

I'd strongly advise Stanley voluntarily declining the NMC lest a certain poster here gets on his case about his diet on a frequent basis, ala Toews/Seabrook... :laugh:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Reasonable reaction to this news is......why now? Unlike the negative nancies of this board who thinks Stan is "just the worst", I think Stan has done more good than bad. Unlike the front office of the team that shares the UC with the Hawks, Bowman actively tries to win. Sometime he hits (Hossa, etc) sometimes he misses (losing Buff, extending Seabrook), but for the most part, I am satisfied with what Bowman has done.

With that said, there was no need to extend him right now.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He's not even had a full season with his first HC hire, he wasn't going anywhere. It's Bowman's rebuild/retool anyway, better to let every potential contract negotiator and prospective hire know that their is a consistent and stable front office with the full support of management. No good reason not to extend him at this point, regardless of next season's results.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
Stan Bowman doesn't deserve an extension. He benefited from the previous GM's roster construction and rode the coattails of a HOF coach. The Hawks have lost countless players due to his cap mismanagement and still have to live with his mistakes like Seabrook's extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad