Speculation: Stammergeddon: Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
What are his rights (to allow a team to sign him for the 8 year maximum) worth?

How/where would Khokhlachev fit into Tampa Bay's lineup?

I thought Yzerman could easily get a top prospect NHL ready and a conditional 2nd (Edmonton's) from a team if he signs with them.

Actually this does work.

Tampa Bay signs the contract with Stamkos for the 8 years and then moves him to the team for the assets.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/stamkos-sign-trade-real-possibility/

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
i love boyle so want him resigned for 2 or 3 more years at 2 million so id say no to anything with bozak whatsoever

I'm a big fan of Boyle too but Bozak at roughly the same price would be a pretty significant improvement to our scoring depth, plus unlike Boyle he could play in our top six if need be. In any event at 50% retained we'd have no difficulty moving him in 2017 if for some reason we did want to keep Boyle over him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why would a team give up a top prospect just to do Stamkos a favour? Teams want less term, not more. I don't see the value.

because stamkos can get more money and a lower cap hit for that team. if they are not willing to do a 8 year deal for stamkos then he might tell that team no thanks.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
because stamkos can get more money and a lower cap hit for that team. if they are not willing to do a 8 year deal for stamkos then he might tell that team no thanks.

That's exactly what we're offering pal ! 8 years, more money and a lower cap hit.

He wants to test free agency, he wants to see what's out there, he wants to feel the thrill.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Why would a team give up a top prospect just to do Stamkos a favour? Teams want less term, not more. I don't see the value.

I think it would be one of the conditions that would get him to go there. I want to go to your team but want 8 years. We can negotiate the contract, have TB sign off on it and then you give TB something to make them complete the deal. Probably wouldn't be too much to give up either. Maybe 2nd round pick??

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That's exactly what we're offering pal ! 8 years, more money and a lower cap hit.

He wants to test free agency, he wants to see what's out there, he wants to feel the thrill.

Not really he might want to play close to home but not play for Toronto hints Detroit and buffalo

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Not really he might want to play close to home but not play for Toronto hints Detroit and buffalo

I think he'll end up in Buffalo too but that doesn't prevent him to see who's proposing what. He'll be one the most coveted FA of the salary cap era, no way in hell he doesn't test it. Weirdly put, that's his destiny.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think he'll end up in Buffalo too but that doesn't prevent him to see who's proposing what. He'll be one the most coveted FA of the salary cap era, no way in hell he doesn't test it. Weirdly put, that's his destiny.

Ya but after July 1st he can't get 8 years

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ideally, you'd have two teams bidding over who could give Stamkos the eighth year.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I think it would be one of the conditions that would get him to go there. I want to go to your team but want 8 years. We can negotiate the contract, have TB sign off on it and then you give TB something to make them complete the deal. Probably wouldn't be too much to give up either. Maybe 2nd round pick??

Yzerman seemed to be warm to the idea and I think Khokhlachev on the 3rd line centre role in Tampa Bay is a perfect fit. Maybe too much from Boston for an extra year of Stamkos but I guess everything will fall into place Friday.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Interesting considering there is talk about promising him advertising money. Is this legal? Can you write into a contract to promise someone money from outside sources?

No that would be cap circumvention

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Interesting considering there is talk about promising him advertising money. Is this legal? Can you write into a contract to promise someone money from outside sources?

The trick is to not write it into the contract. Hence why the mayor and a major CEO are in the meeting.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No that would be cap circumvention

The trick is to not write it into the contract. Hence why the mayor and a major CEO are in the meeting.

Just having the guy present, to me, is very, very clear cap circumvention. This is the kind of thing Nick Kypreos was talking about three months ago that was obvious wink-wink-nudge-nudge cap circumvention. I doubt the NHL WILL do anything about this, but considering Jim Benning got fined for just being stupid, this just isn't right.

I don't care that the mayor is there. But I don't get why there's a Canadian Tire CEO there unless it's to signal to Stamkos that there's more money than what's actually in the contract. Especially considering it's a Canadian company, i.e., this is money that's not available to him elsewhere.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Just having the guy present, to me, is very, very clear cap circumvention. This is the kind of thing Nick Kypreos was talking about three months ago that was obvious wink-wink-nudge-nudge cap circumvention. I doubt the NHL WILL do anything about this, but considering Jim Benning got fined for just being stupid, this just isn't right.

I don't care that the mayor is there. But I don't get why there's a Canadian Tire CEO there unless it's to signal to Stamkos that there's more money than what's actually in the contract. Especially considering it's a Canadian company, i.e., this is money that's not available to him elsewhere.

There was the report from McCown yesterday about the 3.5 million (https://www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/4qd2l6/mccown_source_the_maple_leafs_have_a_plan_to_give/) and how it is allegedly all legitimate. That, combined with the CEO showing up today, how is this not circumvention?

I do not mind him going to toronto, I just want him to go there are have a 13 million dollar cap hit so I can continue to LOL at Toronto fans. If he goes on a reasonable deal, it is much less fun.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
If Stammer isn't going to sign with us, but does agree to a sign and trade, I say go for the death grip like Dallas did with Herschel Walker to Minnesota:

8 years 8.5 Million

Toronto has to take Matt Carle with Stammer and give us their next 6 1st round draft picks.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
That McCown thing is total ******** because it violates the CBA in like 12 different ways. Like blatantly violates it, not some "maybe our lawyers can sweep it away" type thing

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
There was the report from McCown yesterday about the 3.5 million (https://www.reddit.com/r/leafs/comments/4qd2l6/mccown_source_the_maple_leafs_have_a_plan_to_give/) and how it is allegedly all legitimate. That, combined with the CEO showing up today, how is this not circumvention?

I do not mind him going to toronto, I just want him to go there are have a 13 million dollar cap hit so I can continue to LOL at Toronto fans. If he goes on a reasonable deal, it is much less fun.

They can discuss "potential" endorsement values but no firm contracts. IF we could do the sign and trade and dump Carle on them, I say go for it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's cap circumvention for sure. It'll start a wave of this, where rich teams in hockey crazed markets will find ways to pay players with non-cap money. If the NHL actually cares about parity, they'll snuff this out.

That said, I kind of want them to throw the moon at Stamkos because it scares me what our team will look like if he returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad