Speculation: Stamkos

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Sharks win the lottery for Celebrini, I'm on board with giving Stamkos basically anything he wants.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Tampa currently has almost 12 with the projected cap, and they can get to ~16.5-17.5(and still over 14 likely after factoring in replacements for them) by moving 2-3 smaller contracts. Cap space won't be a major issue in the Stamkos situation unless all he cares about is the bag(unlikely), in which case he wasn't staying anyway.
Yeah, they have 12.5 mil for 7 roster spots. So they can keep stamkos at 6-7M and sign minimum salary guys to fill out the roster. But why would Stamkos do that when that team just got waxed in the first round of the playoffs? He should take a discount because Cirelli deserves a bigger contract than him? Hagel?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Yeah, they have 12.5 mil for 7 roster spots. So they can keep stamkos at 6-7M and sign minimum salary guys to fill out the roster. But why would Stamkos do that when that team just got waxed in the first round of the playoffs? He should take a discount because Cirelli deserves a bigger contract than him? Hagel?
Tampa has 11.7 to fill 5 spots to reach 22 players(which is what they will likeky roll with), and if they move out the lesser contracts I already mentioned, even after replacing them, Tampa will have anywhere from 14-15 million(depending on the values of the replacements) to fill 5 spots. Stamkos has always worked with the team, and the comments from him and the team seem to indicate that will be the case again. Tampa will also not have to fill in the additional spots with min level contracts. It's very, very doubtful Stamkos is leaving Tampa.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Tampa has 11.7 to fill 5 spots to reach 22 players(which is what they will likeky roll with), and if they move out the lesser contracts I already mentioned, even after replacing them, Tampa will have anywhere from 14-15 million(depending on the values of the replacements) to fill 5 spots. Stamkos has always worked with the team, and the comments from him and the team seem to indicate that will be the case again. Tampa will also not have to fill in the additional spots with min level contracts. It's very, very doubtful Stamkos is leaving Tampa.
You didn't mention any specific contracts. You're just saying they have contracts they can move. Move them out how? Replace those players with who? Half of the team has trade protection.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Estimated Career Earnings
Tooltip
: $99,551,829

Why would you leave the only team you ever played for with mulitiple cups and $100 million dollars.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You didn't mention any specific contracts. You're just saying they have contracts they can move. Move them out how? Replace those players with who? Half of the team has trade protection.
Jeannot, Sheary and Perbix can be moved to create ~17.5. Even if they keep Perbix, they still have around 16.4. At least one of Sheary/Jeannot would get replaced by a Syracuse promotion, and the other replacement is also likely not costing the team much. They'll have 14-14.5 for Stamkos, one additional middle 6 F(possibly Duclair or another in the 3.5-4 range), and then probably 900k-1 million for Motte or another 4th line ufa F. Stamkos comes in around 7, and then, depending on whether Perbix is traded or not and exactly contract numbers, there is slace for them to.add one additional dman or F in the 2-3 range and 1 additional F/D for 800k-1 million. Tampa could also trade Cirelli for more significant defensive help and likely save some there, although that's a less likely option imo.
Stamkos understands the situation and wants to stay, so he knows he'll have to take a little less. The money is there for the team to get some new faces and keep who they need, as long as at least a couple lower cap hits are moved.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I would like to see Stamkos on a different team next season, just so we can see how much he benefited from Kuch and Hedman on that power play, and from Coop's laissez faire attitude to the RS.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Jeannot, Sheary and Perbix can be moved to create ~17.5. Even if they keep Perbix, they still have around 16.4. At least one of Sheary/Jeannot would get replaced by a Syracuse promotion, and the other replacement is also likely not costing the team much. They'll have 14-14.5 for Stamkos, one additional middle 6 F(possibly Duclair or another in the 3.5-4 range), and then probably 900k-1 million for Motte or another 4th line ufa F. Stamkos comes in around 7, and then, depending on whether Perbix is traded or not and exactly contract numbers, there is slace for them to.add one additional dman or F in the 2-3 range and 1 additional F/D for 800k-1 million. Tampa could also trade Cirelli for more significant defensive help and likely save some there, although that's a less likely option imo.
Stamkos understands the situation and wants to stay, so he knows he'll have to take a little less. The money is there for the team to get some new faces and keep who they need, as long as at least a couple lower cap hits are moved.
Ah yes, all the people lining up for Jeannot, Sheary, and Perbix. Shouldn't be hard to find a market for those guys, in and out of the lineup and lacking production.

I would like to see Stamkos on a different team next season, just so we can see how much he benefited from Kuch and Hedman on that power play, and from Coop's laissez faire attitude to the RS.
You do know his best season with 60 was with St. Louis and Teddy Purcell, right? His production isn't some newly discovered thing with Hedman and Kucherov.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Seeing a lot of (insert non-playoff team here) options for Stamkos. He's not leaving Tampa to make an extra 1-2 million AAV to be on a team worse than where he is at now. Only way he leaves Tampa is to chase one last cup at a comparable amout to what Tampa can offer. Of the non-playoff teams, only New Jersey seems like a viable option because that team is pretty set if they can figure out their goaltending.

Probably sign in Montreal. Stamkos has close ties to MSL and Lecavalier. Montreal has a need and caproom to do it. Tampa is old team going out.

This is exactly what I mean. Why on earth is he going to play for a bottom 10 roster that he has no connection to outside of he played with the coach? This isn't Giroux leaving the Panthers (a team he had no ties to) who had ZERO cap space to play near his hometown.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
hes a man of honor.. if he feals disrespected I can see it..

It's more about cap space issues for the Lightning. I'm sure both the team and player want to keep the marriage going.

How much is too much and how much is too little on his next AAV/term? Lightning are going to play the same card as they did before his current deal... we have a contender and a no tax state. Possible Stamkos gets tired of it this time around.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Poor guy played with St. Louis, what a bad line-mate.
Its not so much that they're bad linemates, its that Stamkos really had his best scoring seasons with those two on his wings, so its not as if he is being carried or inflated like someone else mentioned.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Depends on what he wants at this stage. 34 and coming off a 40 goal year and PPG. But, I noticed his +/- plummeted to -24, when he's mostly been a single digit + player for most of his career. Was a -5 last season.
Places that would pay him the most are the mid level teams which could keep him in the $8 mill range for like 3 years. If he wants to go that route.
That status is inflated. Check and see how many of those minuses occurred when Tampa was playing with an empty net.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
I think he leaves. TB has no cap space and he was pretty pissed that they never even attempted to sign him last off-season. Best player in franchise history and they gave out extensions to Erik Cernak, Anthony Cirelli and Brandon Hagel before him. Insulting.
The first order of business is always to lock up the star players who have the most years ahead of them. I think they gave too much money to Cernak, but that being said there’s nothing insulting about what went down by signing the younger players.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im guessing its a far too long of a contract to bring the AAV down and he LTIRetires after 3-4 years.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Always cracks me up when they say the Lightning is old.

Top 3 lines:
Centers 28, 27, 29
Wingers 30, 25, 28, 34, 27, 26

Defense: 33, 26, 27, 29, 23, 24

Goal: 29, 28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad