Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Kucherov is arguably a top 5 player int he league right now...... hes that good

Possibly the league's best playoff performer to top it off

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Tampa fan: Kucherov. I love Stammer and think he's a top 10 player in the league but Kuch is a part of the "big 4" of NHL forwards IMO with McDavid Crosby and Malkin.

message me if you want my kuch>kane argument

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I like both and I'm saying NK. Kuch is unreal. I think he can possibly rival St. Louis at his best if he keeps playing like he has been.

It's not just that he's been good this season; he was a beast last season and was awesome in the 2016 playoffs.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Kucherov is just amazing. Not many players in the league can consistently be dangerous when they're on the ice and score from literally anywhere in the o-zone.

Last year was not a fluke. Stamkos looks good given how much time he missed again last year, but Kucherov has taken his game to another level since probably the 15-16 playoffs.

He's one of the few players in the league right now that make you go "woah" every game he plays. True definition of a gamebreaker.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tampa fan: Kucherov. I love Stammer and think he's a top 10 player in the league but Kuch is a part of the "big 4" of NHL forwards IMO with McDavid Crosby and Malkin.

message me if you want my kuch>kane argument

Matthews is certainly in that group too. There is no 'big 4' if anything 'there is a big 6' and Kane is certainly in that group too.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Matthews is certainly in that group too. There is no 'big 4' if anything 'there is a big 6' and Kane is certainly in that group too.

There's a big two.

There's Crosby and McDavid, then everyone else.

I wouldn't have Malkin or Kane that far ahead from most of the other elite guys, whether that's Kucherov, Benn, Matthews, Seguin, Backstrom, Ovechkin, etc.

There's only a separation after the first two.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

lol no he's not until he's proven it, elite talent no track record.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
lol no he's not until he's proven it, elite talent no track record.

The kid had 40 goals as a rookie and nigh 70 points... And he's been building on that so far this season.

Matthews is part of the elite. Watching him play makes it obvious. And I'm a Habs fan.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think this has been close in quite some time. Stamkos is often injured and, aside from 17 games last season, has yet to look like "the old Stamkos," while Kucherov just keeps looking more and more dominant. There might be 5-6 forwards in the league better than Kucherov right now, at most.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The kid had 40 goals as a rookie and nigh 70 points... And he's been building on that so far this season.

Matthews is part of the elite. Watching him play makes it obvious. And I'm a Habs fan.

So? I wouldn't put him in that class until he's done it through a full season, and no 40 goals/70 points does not belong with a group of 100+ scorers who've been ALL finished either 1 or 2 in league scoring before, see a difference?

Nobody put McDavid in that group until he dominated last season, let Matthews finish inside top-15 in scoring first before you lump him in with guys who're top offensive producers.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
So? I wouldn't put him in that class until he's done it through a full season, and no 40 goals/70 points does not belong with a group of 100+ scorers who've been ALL finished either 1 or 2 in league scoring before, see a difference?

Nobody put McDavid in that group until he dominated last season, let Matthews finish inside top-15 in scoring first before you lump him in with guys who're top offensive producers.

When did Kucherov score 100 points? Seguin? Benn? When's the last time Backstrom and Ovechkin had 100 points? Malkin?

It's just an arbitrary rule you set to fit your argument. I don't know how anyone could look at Matthews play and not come to the conclusion that he's elite. I don't need him to score 100 points to realize that, nor did I need McDavid to swipe the awards last year to know he was elite.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
When did Kucherov score 100 points? Seguin? Benn? When's the last time Backstrom and Ovechkin had 100 points? Malkin?

It's just an arbitrary rule you set to fit your argument. I don't know how anyone could look at Matthews play and not come to the conclusion that he's elite. I don't need him to score 100 points to realize that, nor did I need McDavid to swipe the awards last year to know he was elite.

Maybe because production actually matters? So if Matthews "looks" elite but finishes with a 75 point season which by all means is excellent for a sophomore, he's still considered McDavid/Crosby class because he "looks" like it? I used 100 points as an example because all the players listed have done it, how about a top-5 scoring season at least to you know be considered a top-5 offensive player? Seems easy, no?

If McDavid finished last year with 80 points and no awards and out of the top-5 in scoring he'd still be considered as good as Crosby and the top forward in the league because you watched him play? Yes please explain that one. I'll take tangible results before drawing a conclusion thanks.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I absolutely love Stamkos as a player, but this is all Kucherov.

Stamkos peak is still slightly higher than current day Kuch, but not much higher. Kuch is dangerous. He literally can do anything. He is an elite skater, stickhandler, playmaker, sniper.

I might put Kuch as the 3rd best player in the NHL.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Maybe because production actually matters? So if Matthews "looks" elite but finishes with a 75 point season which by all means is excellent for a sophomore, he's still considered McDavid/Crosby class because he "looks" like it? I used 100 points as an example because all the players listed have done it, how about a top-5 scoring season at least to you know be considered a top-5 offensive player? Seems easy, no?

If McDavid finished last year with 80 points and no awards and out of the top-5 in scoring he'd still be considered as good as Crosby and the top forward in the league because you watched him play? Yes please explain that one. I'll take tangible results before drawing a conclusion thanks.

I never said anything about McDavid and Crosby. What I said is that these two guys were in a tier of their own, ergo in a class above Matthews, and anyone else.

What I did say is that Matthews stacks up very well against what's left of what we'd refer to as the elite else at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad