TSN: Stamkos meeting with leafs, Toronto mayor, and CEO of Canadian tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
This tells us nothing asides from the fact that they want to pay him in Canadian Tire money. Montreal can pay him in Poutine. I don't know about you guys, but I know what I prefer

It's all about the smoked meat sandwiches. Being from Calgary, a good one is tough to come by.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
NOTE:

Canadian Tire owns Sportcheks parent company.

Stamkos currently has an endorsement with Sportchek. The Leafs aren't brining in any new suiters here likely leaving all potential cap circumvention conversations at the door. Leafs can't be punished if Sportchek is willing to pay Stamkos more to play here.

Also the mayor is suppose to be there to propose a Subway line/station after him.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Why do i get the feeling that the team that gets Stamkos is gonna regret it big time in a couple years. I dunno man, this guy has some issues for sure, he's a good player but he ain't what he used to be and it seems like teams are willing to pay him for what he used to be and not for what he currently is.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't know why certain Leafs fans are so eager to see Stamkos be given questionable endorsements(as they are suggesting themselves, not saying that it's happening in reality). You're basically wishing for your franchise to get completely ****ed by the league
No ******* way this is legal.

Players get marketing all the time. Crosby has millions and millions of local marketing deals and endorsements.

I agree its a little sketch, but all MLSE is doing is saying, "Look how wonderful Toronto is! We're multicultural, close to home, on the water, nice parks, oh, and numerous local companies who want to give you millions of dollars. The City wants you here."

They are not orchestrating the deals, or paying the money, they've just presented it to Stamkos as encouragement to sign there.

If Stamkos signs, I'm sure the League will look into it, but the Maple Leafs are not paying Stamkos under the table and should be okay. I just didn't think Toronto could mention it during negotiations, and that's where I am a little concerned.

Either way though, I'm not convinced Stamkos is the best option for the Leafs right now or vice versa.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
That sounds shady as ****.

Complete cap circumvention.

"Sign for us and we will pay you X. Also we will ensure that these guys will pay you Y."

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
vwMin.gif

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
NOTE:

Canadian Tire owns Sportcheks parent company.

Stamkos currently has an endorsement with Sportchek. The Leafs aren't brining in any new suiters here likely leaving all potential cap circumvention conversations at the door. Leafs can't be punished if Sportchek is willing to pay Stamkos more to play here.

Also the mayor is suppose to be there to propose a Subway line/station after him.

Just got home from TO Saturday. They can rename the UP Express to the Stamkos Railway.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know why certain Leafs fans are so eager to see Stamkos be given questionable endorsements(as they are suggesting themselves, not saying that it's happening in reality). You're basically wishing for your franchise to get completely ****ed by the league

Yea a league that has been losing market share is gonna punish it's biggest cash cow for bringing in more money. That might happen.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

At this point we don't really know anything about these "endorsements". So it's difficult to say whether they violate any rules. Loophole Lou will be careful to toe the line so it will be interesting to watch.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That's Toronto for you. They're mobbing the guy even before he's signed.

Meeting with the GM and owner - fine.
Mayor will be there - Huh, weird.
So will the CEO of Canadian tire - even weirder.
Also probably about 1,000,000 reporters - I can't even get off the plane!

Is that a storm on the doppler radar? No it's just all of the media congregating in Toronto because Steven Stamkos is coming to town.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
CEO of Canadian Tire lol.

There's been talk about this supplemented income and that it's already been vetted by the NHL and lawyers. Unfortunately, the NHL cannot allow this to happen or they are opening up an extremely huge can of worms. Teams like Detroit will start signing guys for $4 million per with a $5 million per contract from Little Caesars, etc, etc, etc.

Hoping he signs with the Leafs but this will NOT be good for the NHL if they let this happen. There's a reason "Personal Services" contracts that were made famous by the USFL are NOT allowed in sports anymore. I believe it was only a couple of years ago Donald Trump stopped paying Herschel Walker from the 80s.

Corporations should NOT be deciding where our sports go from here on either.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Is this legit? The mayor is there to offer him a subway line named after him? So you gonna have something called the stamkos expressway or something? What's gonna happen when it crashes and goes off the rails?

LOL at some of these things... man, it's steven stamkos for gods sake, not crosby or someone with a bit more of a pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad