Confirmed with Link: Stafford suspended 1 game

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
no excuse to not control your stick, intentional or not, but i am a bit surprised that this warranted a suspension, considering other things that haven't around the league.

Derfel*

Seeing he was being held up before he swung around as well. He wasn't just swinging for the heck of it. A fine at most.

But hey - other players can run Enstrom head-first into the boards at speed in pre-season and not even get a penalty, so I guess par for course right?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Expected a fine. 1 game ain't bad. Keep control of your stick, Stafford.

Bit of a party pooper thing to happen with the Buff signing, but hey...

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Considering all the malicious stuff that goes on in the league where players don't even get a phone call or a fine, Stafford gets a game for an accidental high stick? :shakehead

Garbage.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Considering all the malicious stuff that goes on in the league where players don't even get a phone call or a fine, Stafford gets a game for an accidental high stick? :shakehead

Garbage.

Very true. I really thought this would get a fine at most - I've seen far more egregious stuff going on around the league than this (and not just committed against the Jets, so I'm not playing the complete homer card here).

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Very true. I really thought this would get a fine at most - I've seen far more egregious stuff going on around the league than this (and not just committed against the Jets, so I'm not playing the complete homer card here).

hey, you can't call out the refs publicly and not expect something like this to happen

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
How often do players get suspended for high sticking? I could see if it seemed intentional... did it seem intentional?

I reeeally don't like that this comes a month after he complains about officiating. It makes my tin foil tingle. :laugh:

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Ok watch out NHL...Gregory on 1290 right now says he is "mad as blank and is not going to take it anymore"

and as above as broinwhyteridge points out, Gregory's mother will be right there with him.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Didn't need to be a suspension, but it did look pretty bad.
At least we got Buff :D

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
1 game is about right it was a wild swing that connected and drew blood, 10 years never been in trouble and went over to check on the player probably helped it not be 2-3 gamer.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Seeing he was being held up before he swung around as well. He wasn't just swinging for the heck of it. A fine at most.

That's bs ... he should appeal.
If I'm holding your stick and you are pulling back and then I let go ... the stick is going to go flying back.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I agree that Stafford should keep control of his stick and that he's responsible for what happens when he doesn't. So in a vacuum, I don't have a problem with the suspension. However ...

But hey - other players can run Enstrom head-first into the boards at speed in pre-season and not even get a penalty, so I guess par for course right?

^ this ... not to mention running our goalie and putting him out of action for three months.

Garbage.

^ and this.

It's the double standard that gets my goat. The stuff 10x worse than what Stafford did that goes completely unpenalized, and then they drop the hammer on an unintentional high stick? Whaaaa ...??

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Can't argue with one game suspension. You are responsible for controlling your stick and that play could have had a far worse outcome. Definitely not about intent here but it sends a message that your are responsible for your actions, even if it was accidental.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
So have other players been suspended for similar actions, or is Stafford the first player to ever be careless with his stick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad