Staal, Zherdev or Horton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
John Flyers Fan said:
I wasn't saying that Boumeester won't be a star, I think you'll see the two of them compete for Norris trophies in 5 years or so.

only if pitkanen can stay healthy, which appears to be a potential concern with him

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
neelynugs said:
only if pitkanen can stay healthy, which appears to be a potential concern with him

True, he did miss 10 games due to injury, and I think the more he gets used to the North American rink, the more he'll learn to protect himself better.

Boumeester did miss 20 games as well.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I think Staal is the best at more things, he was compared to Ron Francis. I liked the game he played with the young stars. Hes leading Lowell in scoring in the AHL. He was considered the safest bet of the 3. Zherdev played poorly in the world jrs and it cost him. I got to see him in EDM last feb on the best ice surface in the league, he was way more exciting than Nash. Great skater and puck handler. In the RSL on a team thats seeded 11th in 21gms hes 7-9=16pts. I think he could of been selected ahead of Staal if not for his mediocre WJr preformance. To combare to other players in the RSL Ovechkin Semin and V Kozlov each have 17 pts. Kovalchuk is 20gms 12 pts. Zherdev is a dynamic player CLB fans are lucky to have him still at 4th overall. Horton for a stretch lead FLO hes the power forward of the 3. I have all 3 on my HMG team so I feel im fairly objective. Horton i dont believe played last time San Antoinio came to EDM. Staal never comes here and Hortons team wont be back.That bites.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
John Flyers Fan said:
True, he did miss 10 games due to injury, and I think the more he gets used to the North American rink, the more he'll learn to protect himself better.

Boumeester did miss 20 games as well.

Bouwmeester missed time last year because of a broken foot, which he played on before taking time off. I think Pitkanen had a hot start this year and grabbed a lot of fans, but died off. 1/3 through the season, polls here showed that people would take Pitkanen over JBo, but by the end of the year, Bo was winning easily.

Also, we have all seen what Bo can do when surrounded by some talent, which is just scary.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Horton/Staal, Zherdev for me. I'd usually answer this question with Horton leading, but Staal's talent is growing on me too. They may not be as good as Zherdev now, but I think they'll surpass him eventually.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Yikes, I'd take any of them, thats a really tough call. Man 2003 was off the hook.

As for JBo/Pitkanen, I'd take Joni, JBo will be a top 5 defender for a solid 10 years I think, it just so happens that Joni will be in that top 5 as well, and always higher IMO.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
luongofan said:
Bouwmeester missed time last year because of a broken foot, which he played on before taking time off. I think Pitkanen had a hot start this year and grabbed a lot of fans, but died off. 1/3 through the season, polls here showed that people would take Pitkanen over JBo, but by the end of the year, Bo was winning easily.

Also, we have all seen what Bo can do when surrounded by some talent, which is just scary.

Pitkanen's #'s by month

Points - 6-6-3-4-5-2

March, where he scored just 2 points he missed games due to injury. Did he slow just a bit at the end of the season ? Yes, but that had more to do with injury and the fact it was his first year in North America.

Bouwmeester just scary, when surrounded by top talent ??? He didn't have a point in 4 games at the World Cup.

At the Worlds he had 3 points in 9 games.

John Flyers Fan said:
Pitkanen's #'s by month

Points - 6-6-3-4-5-2

March, where he scored just 2 points he missed games due to injury. Did he slow just a bit at the end of the season ? Yes, but that had more to do with injury and the fact it was his first year in North America.

Bouwmeester just scary, when surrounded by top talent ??? He didn't have a point in 4 games at the World Cup.

At the Worlds he had 3 points in 9 games.

And at the Worlds the year before, he had 7 points in 9 games. He might not have scored at the World CUp, but he used his skating to create good offensive chances. Things just didn't break his way to get the points.

I think Pitkanen might put up better numbers in the long run because he looks like he's better equipped to run the powerplay, and that's where defenceman score a lot of their points.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
This is a tough one for me since I'm a Jacket fan, but I have to say Staal. He's the most complete of the bunch. There is a reason why he was the first forward picked and he's done nothing to really change that in my opinion.

That said, I'm ecstatic with Zherdev. The guy is a show-stopper and the Jackets need scoring in the worst way (hopefully the franchise center will come along soon...)

None of this is meant as a knock on Horton either, who I still really like. With three guys this good, you look for excuses to downgrade one. For Horton, it's the injury bug. He's going to be a great one though.

Respect! Big ups for being unbiased.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
1.Staal - will be consistent throughout his career
2.Zherdev - will dominate but won't be consistent as Staal and doesn't have the all around game like Staal's
3.Horton :D - Will be a great player in the future reminds me of Nolan

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Well I was going to put Staal due to the fact he has leadership over the two....but after thinking that Zherdev captians his RSL team (??) and Horton plays kamikaze so...

Zherdev is a more talented stick handler than Horton. Horton drives to the net harder then Staal, Staal is just great all around.

Zherdev's vision is better than Staal. Staal's passing is better than Horton. Horton's hitting is better than Zherdev's.

Staals defense is better than Zherdev's. Zherdev's passing is better than Hortons. Horton's power game is better than staals...

....Its a toss up...

Zherdev/Staal
Horton

I dont know....

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
hmm...

Zherdev is always going to put up the points if he uses his talent, but that isn't going to lead a team.

Horton if he ever reaches his max potential could be a force at both ends.

But, I think I'd have to take Staal who looks like he not only will contribute on both ends, but could be a leader as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad