Confirmed with Link: Staal Re-Signed (6yrs - $5.7m per)

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The hopeis that Duclair comes in and replaces Hagelin. Duclair had the speed to play a Hagelin like game, just need to make him keep his motor going, can't have those mental lapses we saw a few times where he would stop moving his feet.

I love hags and he is the type of player you win with. However in a cap world, I keep MSL and Zucc over him and bring in Duclair to replace him. How nice would a third line of Duclair-Hayes-Buchnevich be and a 4th line of Miller-Moore-Fast. That's not even a 4th line, that's 2 third lines.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The hopeis that Duclair comes in and replaces Hagelin. Duclair had the speed to play a Hagelin like game, just need to make him keep his motor going, can't have those mental lapses we saw a few times where he would stop moving his feet.

I love hags and he is the type of player you win with. However in a cap world, I keep MSL and Zucc over him and bring in Duclair to replace him. How nice would a third line of Duclair-Hayes-Buchnevich be and a 4th line of Miller-Moore-Fast. That's not even a 4th line, that's 2 third lines.

Miller isn't a 4th line player going forward, he has more skill than that. Heck, probably Fast isn't a 4th line player either..:laugh:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Doubt we have two rookies along with a sophomore on the third line. I think Butcher will need time to adjust to the NHL, Fast or Miller will be on the third line and one of Lindberg or Hrivik on the 4th line.

Kreider - Step - MSL
Nash - Brass - MZA
Miller - Hayes - Duke
Hrivik/Hags - Moore - Fast

If Hags stays, that's an incredibly deep and talented team, but even without him, it's still a very, very good forward corps.

Last edited:

magnkarl

Jan 26, 2014
Pickled Herring etc.
Zucc will probably take a discount to stay too, but I am not so sure on Hags and MSL. Hopefully we can fit Hags and MSL will take a pay as you play\produce type of deal. Our forward corps will be deep if Sather plays this right.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Zucc will probably take less $ for a longer term this time around. Its clear he doesn't like going through contract negotiations every year.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

Great deal for staal and the nyrs..

i dont understand the talk about hags.. dude is a RFA has never even hit 40 pts and hes going to be a cap casualty? PLEASE! Glase will be riding the bus in Hartford before hes gone... How much of a raise does he even deserve? you dont get paid because your an amazing PK/depth player.. MZA should be the interesting signing for sure, bc slats is going to play hard ball.. hags will sign 4x$3aav in that range

but look around the league, the last few years, the year in and year out playoff teams/contenders don't have a lot of UFAs leave.. players are signing WAY less to keep teams together.. should be interesting..

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Good deal. Glad he's locked up and glad I don't have to hear about how he wants to go to Carolina to play with his brothers.

Maybe his brothers will come to us at a good price instead. :D

Love the new avatar btw.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I keep Zucc if we have to pick between him and Hags. Hags speed will be missed but the guy just has no hands at all. Would be nice if cigar could find a way to keep both.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
I keep Zucc if we have to pick between him and Hags. Hags speed will be missed but the guy just has no hands at all. Would be nice if cigar could find a way to keep both.

Zucc seems like a realistic guy. As long as he ain't getting low-balled, I'm sure he'll stay somehow. He really likes it here.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Mixed feelings. I don't think it's a bad contract exactly but it's hard to have that much money wrapped up in him and Girardi. I think these guys do provide some value beyond what advanced stats say they do...honstly both Girardi and Staal aren't your old fashioned stay at home guys who can't do anything but knock guys off the puck. They both can move it pretty well in their own zone aren't stone hands with the puck, but for whatever reason the way they play isn't advanced stats friendly (I'd say because to some extent they rely on blocked shots and aren't skate it out of the zone type of guys who also launch a lot of shots when they're in the offensive zone)

but it is what it is. at least he's been playing well for a lot of this year

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I have to believe that the discount came, in part, due to Callahan's trade. I don't think Staal wanted to leave. He knows he's playing on a contender. He knows that if he pushed it, Sather might have dealt him to someplace like EDM.

I'm glad he's here. The stability on the back end and in the locker room is worth the 5.7 per.

Good deal.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Good deal. It's only about 1.7M more in overall cap space and McD, Girardi, Staal and Klein are locked up long term as well as Hank. With a couple promising D prospects,Boyle, Moore and Hunwick the back end is pretty set for now and future. MSL's cap space is most likely going to Stepan and the cap ceiling is expected to go up 3-4M. Rangers are going to be fine.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I have to believe that the discount came, in part, due to Callahan's trade. I don't think Staal wanted to leave. He knows he's playing on a contender. He knows that if he pushed it, Sather might have dealt him to someplace like EDM.

I'm glad he's here. The stability on the back end and in the locker room is worth the 5.7 per.

Good deal.

The same thing occurred to me.

Vidic15*

Good deal.

You better bet that EDM would have been a big bidder for his services in the offseason. He ticks a lot of boxes for that horrendous team.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
I'd like to spend less on our #3, be it Staal or anyone else

The NYR will be spending about $16 mil on their top 3 D. ALL of whom could be 1st pairing guys on most teams in the league. For the next 4 years, the top 3-d will cost this team $16 mil. I'm salivating at the advantage that could give this team cap-wise in the next couple years if the premium on d-men continues to skyrocket league-wide.

At an average of about $5.3 per top 3 d-men, I'd say that's a pretty good deal when you have guys like Suter and Weber getting north of $7.5 and PK getting $9 mil.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
You say that now.

Talk to me if/when MZA and MSL have great postseasons and walk for nothing.

There is no way anybody can judge this move right now.

My concern is the ripple effect of breaking up Brassard and Zucc's chemistry.

MSL will not be walking. He is retiring in the NY area. And it is pretty clear he wants a shot at the cup. The only real threat of losing MSL is that he goes to the Isles if they continue to look good by the end of the season, b/c he wants to be on a contender. I'm not terribly worried about that. And he strikes me as a guy that will take a discount to stay on NYR if that is what he wants to do.

MZA might be a bigger issue. You have a point there.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
The NYR will be spending about $16 mil on their top 3 D. ALL of whom could be 1st pairing guys on most teams in the league. For the next 4 years, the top 3-d will cost this team $16 mil. I'm salivating at the advantage that could give this team cap-wise in the next couple years if the premium on d-men continues to skyrocket league-wide.

At an average of about $5.3 per top 3 d-men, I'd say that's a pretty good deal when you have guys like Suter and Weber getting north of $7.5 and PK getting $9 mil.
They also have players like Josi who are paid much less. Can't just compare our top 3 with their top 1.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
They also have players like Josi who are paid much less. Can't just compare our top 3 with their top 1.

Josi has an AAV of $4 mil. It's not like he is paid insanely less than any of NYR's top 3, and I wouldn't choose him over any of them.

See below for a post I made during the preseason; so doesn't take into account changes since then... but since you're giving me a hard time, here ya go. Still a good deal when you expand out to top couple d-men on the top defensive teams in the league. It was responding to a guy saying it would be tough to have about $15 mil tied up in the top-3 d-men.

---

I would 100 % disagree with the bolded. Those three guys make up half of this team's defensive core. So to have half of your defensemen locked up for years to come at $15 mil, with a salary cap anticipated to continue to increase, is a pretty good deal to me. Not even to mention that the 3 guys aren't just any 3 defenders; they are all guys who would be first pairing defenders on a lot of teams. To get that at about 20 % of your current cap space (ignoring the fact that this % will probably go down in the next few years) that seems pretty damn good to me.

Want some comparisons to demonstrate how damn good of a deal this would be if we could lock those three up for the next 4-5 years at about $15 mil? P.K. Subban just got $9 mil per year. Immediately eats up almost two thirds of $15 mil. Guys like Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Drew Doughty, Zdeno Chara, etc are all getting between $7 and $8 mil per year. Immediately eats up half of that cost. Not one of McD, Girardi, or Staal's potential contract would come close to any of those high-paid defenders' contracts. And while none, save for possibly McD, are as game-breaking as those guys (minus P.K. - what a joke of a contract), they are all close enough that those are damn good deals by comparison.

Want to look at how much other teams spend on their defense corps? And on their top 3 highest paid defenders especially?

Let's take a look at the top 10 defensive teams in the league last year by GA:

1. LA: Doughty makes $7 mil per. 3 highest paid come in at $14.2 mil. D-corps costs them about $19.6 mil.

2. Boston: Chara gets about $7 mil. Their 3 highest paid defenders total to about $14.35 mil. Right now they are paying just under $20 mil for their d-corps. This does not include Torey Krug though. And in the next few years, he will command a big pay day.

3. St. Louis: 3 highest paid cost $16.15 mil. D-corps costs them almost $26 mil.

4. NYR

5. San Jose: 3 highest paid bring home about $13.5 mil. Their d-corps costs them about $17.55.

6. Montreal: Their two highest paid defenders alone reaches $14.75 mil. Add in their third and you get to almost $19 mil. Their total d-corps currently costs them $25.2 mil.

7. Minnesota: 3 highest paid come in at $11.7 mil. Total d-corps costs them about $16 mil. But, one of those situations where within a year or two, a lot of those guys are going to be due some pretty hefty raises.

8. Pittsburgh: 3 highest paid for next year come in at $16.25. Total d-corps costs them $22 mil.

9. New Jersey: One of the few exceptions. 3 highest paid at $9.2 mil. Total d-corps at $12.6 mil. Side note - despite the solid GA, I think we all agree that we don't want NYR to emulate Jersey's performance last year; so even though it is an exception - maybe not one to hold up as an example to prove your point.

10. Anaheim: One of the few exceptions. 3 highest paid comes to $11.2 mil. Total d-corps costs $22.4, because they are less top heavy, spread the wealth more evenly among their defenders, and have 9 on the capgeek roster currently. Remove two of those and you get close to $20 mil.

Other top teams in the league:

Tampa Bay (215 GA): 3 highest paid come in at $14.6 mil. Total d-corps comes to almost $29 mil (but includes 9 dmen, so subtract 2 and you get to about $27 mil).

Chicago (220 GA): 3 highest paid come in at $15.4 mil. D-corps costs them $24.5 mil.

Colorado (220 GA): 3 highest paid come in at 10.6 mil. Total d-corps at $17.6 mil.

So outside of Minnesota, Anaheim and Colorado, you see a lot of the top teams are paying in the ballpark, or above $15 mil, for their top 3 defenders - and in many cases not getting near the overall quality that NYR could get if they locked up McD, G, and Staal for the next 5 seasons.

The place, in my mind, to save money (perhaps by infusing youth on ELCs, perhaps by picking up aging vets on discounts), is in the bottom 3 d-men. Not in quality, core pieces that you have right now, that you know have worked well in your system and for your team for years, and that you can sign to very reasonable - if not comparably cheap - contracts. This isn't to say that having a bottom pairing of Klein and Moore isn't a luxury - it is; but the quality of the top 2 pairings is a lot more important than the third. It is harder to find quality guys on good contracts for your top 4 than it is to find serviceable defenders for the bottom pairing. Not to mention the bottom pairing is much more easily sheltered if needed.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
So glad he's locked up. He's a big part of our core. And to those that say "In my opinion, it's still too much for a second pair with no offense" etc, you need to realize that it's not really a matter of opinion, since there are actual facts to go by. The market sets the value, and as a UFA, the market WITHOUT A DOUBT would've placed his value above what we signed him for. That means he took a discount and we got a great deal, period. So saying "in my opinion, that's too much", is really rather silly. The market is the market, the market places his value higher than what we got him for, therefore, it's a good deal. Really not any more complicated than that.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You better bet that EDM would have been a big bidder for his services in the offseason. He ticks a lot of boxes for that horrendous team.

Not that we'll ever know, but I do not believe for 1 second that he would've made it to the offseason. I have no proof obviously. I just don't see Sather taking a home grown asset like Staal, whom the organization has spent time, effort and money cultivating, and letting him walk for nothing. I just don't (didn't) see him as a "rental" for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad