OT: Stützle Tkatchuk Chabot Batherson Norris Sanderson - What Are Your Honest Thoughts About This Core?

How would you rank them?

• Elite

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Very Good

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Good, not great

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Below Average

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I think they are a bunch of good players that are lacking a superduperstar unless Sanderson/Stutzle hit another level. I don't think they fit together very well as a group, which compounds things.

The main issue is passing/carrying the play. In the forwards you have some guys that are good around the net and when they have the puck near the net, but not many guys that are great passers, carrying the puck, or have good hockey IQ. They aren't good at forechecking either. It's like a whole forward group of Hoffman's and a more physical Dave Andyerchuck in Tkachuck.

The d-men on the other hand are decent at passing and carrying the puck, less so playing defense or being physical.

So soft defenseman that would be good based around a puck possession game and forwards who suck at puck possession (carrying or retrieving). The team can barely string together two passes in a row and can't play defense.

Personally I think a major shake up is in order with the likes of Chabot, Chychrun, Norris, Batherson, Tkachuck all the main candidates for getting shipped out. Even Stutzle if the return is right. None of them are "bad" but they don't fit together IMO.
Give them the rest of the season to come around and then make the hard decisions. My list of untouchables is getting very short. I'm down to one and a half (Sanderson and Tkachuk if BT can be salvaged). I wouldn't just give the players away, and am concerned about how untradeable some of these contracts might be.

I trust Martin when he says the players need to decide what they want to be. JM believes the team lacks mature, disciplined winners. Is this problem due to habit under Smith or is it a character flaw (or both)? If the former it can be fixed. Martin seems to believe the problem is the character of some (key) players.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancepitlick

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The idea is not to tear it all down and start over again. The team is bad, what happens with bad teams? They're stuck in the bottom of the standings and get high draft picks. Edmonton's rebuild floundered and they eventually landed Draisatl and McDavid soon after that. Same with Colorado, the Duchesne group sucked and they eventually landed Mackinnon and Makar.

I figure this is what will happen, this team will be mired in mediocrity until they get elite players that will take them to that next level.

Lol we wish we were mediocre at this point. We're just bad.

If we were mediocre we would be in the middle of the pack fighting for a playoff spot and people would be generally happy.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The core piece you have to consider moving is Tkachuk. He is the one who could fetch a huge return because other teams would overvalue the "intangibles" he brings. I am also concerned that Brady's style isn't going to age well - he is already looking a little slow out there, and I have questions about his conditioning. Some team looking for "grit" is going to think they won the lottery. Get two firsts for Brady - keep one, and use the other as a trade piece.

Reactions: dpw

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It's an interesting comparison, but van did shake things up a bit

Horvat, OEL, Schenn and Bear out, Lafferty, Hronek, Cole and Zadorov in. Not sure if that's an upgrade (probably not on paper)

We also don't have a Demko,

That said, aside from Horvat, I wouldn't call any of the guys shipped out core. I also don't think he was in any way part of the problem,

Tochett had Van playing at a 100 pts pace in their final 36 games last year, they didn't really need to shake up things beyond the coach change. Then again, we played at a 95 pts pace over the same period, under DJ.

Getting everyone to buy in goes a long way, idk if you can get that with an interim coach in a season that already looks like it's circling the drain tbh, Jacques seems to be working more on correcting bad habits than anything else. Maybe that will set the table for the next guy, be it Berube or otherwise.

There will be a bit of a shake up, but not nearly as much as people think.

Tarasenko, Brannstrom and Kubalik will be dealt and Forsberg will be bought out, not sure how much more in addition to that.

I don't see any of our "core" being dealt. Maybe Chychrun will be traded in the off-season should he not want to re-sign, or maybe Chabot if Chychrun does want to extend here for some reason.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The core piece you have to consider moving is Tkachuk. He is the one who could fetch a huge return because other teams would overvalue the "intangibles" he brings. I am also concerned that Brady's style isn't going to age well - he is already looking a little slow out there, and I have questions about his conditioning. Some team looking for "grit" is going to think they won the lottery. Get two firsts for Brady - keep one, and use the other as a trade piece.

Tangibly, he's the team's top goal scorer on a team filled with playmakers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There will be a bit of a shake up, but not nearly as much as people think.

Tarasenko, Brannstrom and Kubalik will be dealt and Forsberg will be bought out, not sure how much more in addition to that.

I don't see any of our "core" being dealt. Maybe Chychrun will be traded in the off-season should he not want to re-sign, or maybe Chabot if Chychrun does want to extend here for some reason.
Agree with this. I would not be surprised to see Chychrun moved over Chabot because they may value Chabot more and/or it will be easier to move Chychrun for a good return with a year left and those assets could include a player they want or picks for capital or futures.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Agree with this. I would not be surprised to see Chychrun moved over Chabot because they may value Chabot more and/or it will be easier to move Chychrun for a good return with a year left and those assets could include a player they want or picks for capital or futures.

I like Chychrun but we don't have enough Zubs on the team for both Chabot and Chychrun.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I like Chychrun but we don't have enough Zubs on the team for both Chabot and Chychrun.

I think Vegas could be a candidate for a Chychrun trade. They always love a splash, it's a place he'd most definitely re-sign, and they have Martinez coming off the books next summer while McNabb has just one year left. They could fit him in.

They also a couple RD who could help us if they were included in a package: Zach Whitecloud or Kaeden Korczak.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's less about losing to Vancouver and more about giving up 5 goals on the first 14 shots or whatever it was.

I mean, what kind of reactions are they expecting from human beings?

Most people are not turning in their fandom or throwing themselves off of buildings, they are just venting because the reality that this team as currently set up is a long way away from playoff contention is sinking in.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
It's less about losing to Vancouver and more about giving up 5 goals on the first 14 shots or whatever it was.

I mean, what kind of reactions are they expecting from human beings?

Most people are not turning in their fandom or throwing themselves off of buildings, they are just venting because the reality that this team as currently set up is a long way away from playoff contention is sinking in.
Someone posted a GIF last night of a person jumping out a window. You mean that wasn’t real? :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No, but I do thing it’s more than a few people losing their shit over this team.

If you look at the sample of the top Sens-Twitterati there was not a tonne of positivity after the game.

We will see how things progress over the week

I think you’d have to be certifiably insane to come out of last night’s game with a giddy smile on your face.

But it’s just one of many games.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I think you’d have to be certifiably insane to come out of last night’s game with a giddy smile on your face.

But it’s just one of many games.
I wasn't happy. I was quite perturbed.

This team has real issues.

Fans want instant gratification after firing DJ and PD.

It's not going to be quick.

Reactions: lancepitlick

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

People also have invested in that late night start time only to be let down almost immediately after puck drop which is also sort of deflating.

Just compounding the whole deal.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's very hard to analyze this core given that we had an AHL-level coach at very best and our GM was passable at very, very best.
Disagree.

We know that this core has sucked every year so far. It has not grown/improved as a group and we are seeing the same thing happening under Martin: one step forward, two steps back.

This core has just not worked whatsoever: good on paper, bad everywhere else. This mix of pretty good players is no good.

What we don't know is who the weak links are. Dorion drafted and traded for promising young players and gave them longterm deals almost immediately.

We need to find out who to ship out and identify them quietly so that we can get max return on trading a good young player with term.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

For what it's worth (not really anything, but...) When Tochett took over in Vancouver last year, they started 3-5-1 before finishing the season off 17-7-3.

Sens under Martin are 3-4-0. We just need to go 17-8-1 to match their finish!

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
For what it's worth (not really anything, but...) When Tochett took over in Vancouver last year, they started 3-5-1 before finishing the season off 17-7-3.

Sens under Martin are 3-4-0. We just need to go 17-8-1 to match their finish!

I am willing to buy into that dream. That would be amazing

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
This core is quite simply not good enough. Edmonton's first attempt with Hall/RNH/Yakupov wasn't good enough, same with Colorado with Duchesne, O'Reilly and Landeskog. Some of the core pieces need to be upgraded, there's lots of good here but not enough great/elite.

I don't think there's one player on the team that scares the other team or that they seriously have to gameplan for or worry about.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Brady's conditioning. First time I've seen that questioned. I've wondered about it too. Sometimes he just looks completely gassed. Maybe Jacques's shorter shifts need to be engrained

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad