SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
PROSPECTS UPDATE

2006 born:
2022, 5th - Vader, Tate L (C) - Listowell Cyclones (GOJHL) - 28 pts in 42 games
2022, 6th - Evans, Spencer L (LD) - Smiths Falls Bears U18 (HEO) - 33 pts in 33 games
2022, 13th - Hunka, Troy R (RW) - Cleveland Barons 16U (T1EHL) - 71 pts in 60 games

2005 born:
2021, 7th - Lewinski, Charlie L (C) - Novi High (USHS-MI), Connecticut commit ('24-'25) - 24 pts in 10 games
2021, 9th - Ciaramitaro, Anthony L (LD) - Leamington Flyers (GOJHL) - 22 pts in 39 games
2021, 10th - Campbell, Ty L (LD) - Smith's Falls Bears (CCHL), Clarkson commit ('24-'25) - 22 pts in 34 games
2022 IMPORT, 1st - Nordh, Noel L (RW) - Brynas U20 - 18 pts in 28 games

2004 born:
2020, 4th - McGroarty, Rutger L (C) - UofM (NCAA) - 23 pts in 28 games
2020, 8th - Varner, Justin R (LW) - Youngstown Phantoms (USHL), MSU commit ('23-'24) - 19 pts in 33 games
2020, 14th - West, Owen L (LD) - Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL), MSU commit ('23-'24) - 10 pts in 32 games
2021 IMPORT, 2nd - Lutz, Julian L (LW) - EHC München DEL ('22-'23) - 6 pts in 18 games

It's a long shot but Rutger McGroarty reporting plus an elite import is possibly our only chance at being a bonafide contender.

Rutger is the longest of longshots and we have haven't had great success the past 4 seasons in recruiting impact imports so I'm pretty cynical to say the least.

Looking through rose coloured glasses for a moment, If we were to win the mem cup bid and get some of these players to report, they would be taking a roster spot from an existing player. Roster turnover will only be 3 players (the OAs) through attrition. Those spots would be reserved for our first 2 picks from this coming draft, plus a second import. If any of our 2003s were to not return, they would be replaced by another '03 (OA) if we were looking to contend next season.

Isn't Dean in the last year of his contract? That could make the offseason a bit more interesting too. Assuming he makes it to the end of the season.

Yes

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
With these two signings, things are guaranteed to be very competitive at camp next fall. We have 25 players signed this year that could all have roster spots next year. Only 3 are OAs next year. This also does not include a second import or at least a couple of 2007 borns that we draft this summer. This also does not include any surprise reports from our flyer picks. Raftis is certainly taking a different approach with our 16 year old class this season ('06s) by already signing 7 of them(!) I do not recall him ever signing more than 4 the first season.

Forwards (14)
Sirizzotti R (03)
D'Intino L (03)
McConnell-Barker Sr. L (04)
Allard L (04)
Fantino R (04)
Mignosa R (05)
Cloutier R (05)
Clattenburg L (05)
Montroy L (05)
Moses R (05)
Good R (05)
Brown L (06)
Kostov R (06)
Vader L (06)

Defense (8)
Kudryavtsev L (04)
Carlisle L (04)
Toms L (04)
Van De Ven R (04)
Gibson R (05)
Virgilio R (06)
McConnell-Barker Jr. L (06)
Evans L (06)

Goal (3)
Ivanov L (03)
Schenkel R (04)
Miller L (06)

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
With these two signings, things are guaranteed to be very competitive at camp next fall. We have 25 players signed this year that could all have roster spots next year. Only 3 are OAs next year. This also does not include a second import or at least a couple of 2007 borns that we draft this summer. This also does not include any surprise reports from our flyer picks. Raftis is certainly taking a different approach with our 16 year old class this season ('06s) by already signing 7 of them(!) I do not recall him ever signing more than 4 the first season.
Is this an early sign we might move on from some of our sophomores who haven't developed as hoped?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
From Brad Coccimiglio's blog on Sunday vs. Mississauga:

Scratches
Out of the lineup this afternoon for the Greyhounds are
Landon Miller,
Andrew Gibson (injury),
Ethan Montroy (injury),
Owen Allard (injury),
Christopher Brown, and
Connor Toms (injury)

Marco Mignosa-Bryce McConnell-Barker-Kalvyn Watson,
Justin Cloutier-MArk Duarte-Alex Kostov,
Brenden Sirizzotti-Jordan D'Intino-Julian Fantino,
Connor Clattenburg-Daylen Moses-Dustin Good;

Kirill Kudryavtsev-Ryan Thompson,
Caeden Carlisle-Matthew Virgilio,
Brodie McConnell-Barker-Caleb Van De Ven;

Charlie Schenkel; Samuel Ivanov (Backup)

-------

Wondering if Kostov is good to go tonight after the hit he took in the 3rd period Sunday. Anyone know if he played after the hit? Wondering if the freshly inked Vader sees any ice tonight. Also, With Brodie sent back down, if Gibson and Toms are still unfit to play then we might see Evans suit up.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Look guys if you think opening up only a couple positions next year and then running wirh this group is gonna fly, let's start praying now.

But the problem also we got is 2 fold now. You can't just change the whole team at trade deadline and expect results either. You need to build that type of winning chemistry over time.

And I feel bad for Dean. He hasn't been given a good deck since he got here. To be honest I would have preferred him over Bannister with the stacked group he had.

You can blame this depth problem we have on covid too if ya want, but the bottom line. The scouting staff and gm just didn't do their homework on the last few drafts or you can just call it bad luck.

even if your 1st rounder doesn't pan out your second should be pushing that guy out of a spot (in most cases)

Reactions: DWI Dale

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Look guys if you think opening up only a couple positions next year and then running wirh this group is gonna fly, let's start praying now.

But the problem also we got is 2 fold now. You can't just change the whole team at trade deadline and expect results either. You need to build that type of winning chemistry over time.

And I feel bad for Dean. He hasn't been given a good deck since he got here. To be honest I would have preferred him over Bannister with the stacked group he had.

You can blame this depth problem we have on covid too if ya want, but the bottom line. The scouting staff and gm just didn't do their homework on the last few drafts or you can just call it bad luck.

even if your 1st rounder doesn't pan out your second should be pushing that guy out of a spot (in most cases)
I would rather have had Bannister tbh. We had structure under him and our puck possession was great. Under that style it didn't matter if we had talent, it worked. Look at 2015/16. I can't watch anymore of this dump and chase. And then curse out your team when your crappy system doesn't work.

Just my opinion anyway

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Bannister had a very skilled team where puck possession was an easy game to play. Problem with that team was there was too much skill and not enough grit. So getting the puck back became a problem. I just don't think this style of play mixed with that high level of skill is designed for long playoff hockey.

As for this year's hounds, the poor kids are outskilled by the opposition most nights that they have no choice but to run a dump and chase game. The ability to control the game and the puck so to speak is just not there.

And speaking of playoff hockey. The Oshawa team that took out McDavid to win tthe ohl is how I'd like to see our team built. It wasn't full of nhl draft picks. It had good coaching, mature players, and a system that combined grit and skill. Even the goalie Applebee's was undrafted. And he was a stud.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
Vader looked good in the small amount of icetime he had....almost scored...Evans was actually really good. took over some playing time near the end of the game. made some really good first passes and played pretty physical for a 16 year old.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
It's very difficult to play "puck possession" without a high-flying offensive squad. I haven't watched much lately but if we've regressed to playing any kind of dump and chase that's likely because we have a lot of 3rd line caliber forwards.

Reactions: hounds72

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Looking through rose coloured glasses for a moment, If we were to win the mem cup bid and get some of these players to report, they would be taking a roster spot from an existing player. Roster turnover will only be 3 players (the OAs) through attrition. Those spots would be reserved for our first 2 picks from this coming draft, plus a second import. If any of our 2003s were to not return, they would be replaced by another '03 (OA) if we were looking to contend next season.
I think anything is possible IF we get the bid...the whole roster could be blown up in the offseason depending on who Raftis manages to lure here

Reactions: HockeyPops
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad